Shopping for a Jet boat

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what degree of bottom are you guys running ? I am thinking of 10 or 12

Our Custom Welds are 11deg I think... Will run in a foot or less water.

New wear ring and impeller made a big difference jumping out of the water and up on plane quick.
uhyhymy6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been researching boats for the last year trying to decide what make and model. After extensive and i mean many many hours of reading and speaking to folks and even a few test rides i decided on a Hells Canyon boat. However its my first boat and i didn't want to shell out the $$$ for what could be a expensive learning curve. So i am going with a customweld storm. Can't wait to have this baby on the water.

But honestly if you have the money look into Hells Canyon Marine boats, very nice.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been researching boats for the last year trying to decide what make and model. After extensive and i mean many many hours of reading and speaking to folks and even a few test rides i decided on a Hells Canyon boat. However its my first boat and i didn't want to shell out the $$$ for what could be a expensive learning curve. So i am going with a customweld storm. Can't wait to have this baby on the water.

But honestly if you have the money look into Hells Canyon Marine boats, very nice.
HCM's are very nice but IMO you are paying a lot for the name and buying a boat designed for US rivers, not Canadian rivers.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at Rockbottom in fsj this morning to get some stuff built for my rhino and his new 240 ton Cnc brake is WOW . Bent a full transom in 3 minutes.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hells canyon boats seem to be finished all the way through. Many details and fine finishes.

On another note I spoke with the guy from Rockbottom in FSJ and he does seem like a good guy, answered all my questions and was eager to help.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what degree of bottom are you guys running ? I am thinking of 10 or 12

If you plan to run shallow water 8 degree would be best with UHMW. 10 or 11 will you by but no matter what you get put uhmw on it.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clode?
I am going to disagree about the UHMW on a 10-12 degree as it is very heavy and you shouldn't be beating a boat like this over rocks anyway. Learn to drive and read the river. Stay in the channels.

Weight on a boat is the same as sleds. The heavier they are the more power you need and the harder they hit when you do hit.

I see your from FSJ and if your going to be boating the Peace and Williston Lake or lakes I would go with a 10-12 degree as a lot smoother and much better suited for that kind of boating.

If you are going to run a lot of shallow rivers and push the limits of the boat , then yes go 8 degree and UHMW.
With river boats there is no perfect boat other than having two. Bigger boat for lots of family and bigger water and then a small light weight two person for running the shallow extreme no water type of boating.

Have a pile of hours on river boats and have ran a lot of shallow rivers with a 23.5ft 12 degree and no UHMW without any trouble. Tuchodi in late July and upper Wapiti till mid to end of July. Never wrecked anything or been stuck.

Have sold it this spring and now have a 15ft 8 degree sport jet with UHMW and use it for what it is made for. Sikanni ,Halfway,upper Wapiti all this time of year.(very fun)

Big heavy boats ,plastic combined with rocks cost money in a few years.
My 2 cents:beer::beer:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clode?
I am going to disagree about the UHMW on a 10-12 degree as it is very heavy and you shouldn't be beating a boat like this over rocks anyway. Learn to drive and read the river. Stay in the channels.

Weight on a boat is the same as sleds. The heavier they are the more power you need and the harder they hit when you do hit.

I see your from FSJ and if your going to be boating the Peace and Williston Lake or lakes I would go with a 10-12 degree as a lot smoother and much better suited for that kind of boating.

If you are going to run a lot of shallow rivers and push the limits of the boat , then yes go 8 degree and UHMW.
With river boats there is no perfect boat other than having two. Bigger boat for lots of family and bigger water and then a small light weight two person for running the shallow extreme no water type of boating.

Have a pile of hours on river boats and have ran a lot of shallow rivers with a 23.5ft 12 degree and no UHMW without any trouble. Tuchodi in late July and upper Wapiti till mid to end of July. Never wrecked anything or been stuck.

Have sold it this spring and now have a 15ft 8 degree sport jet with UHMW and use it for what it is made for. Sikanni ,Halfway,upper Wapiti all this time of year.(very fun)

Big heavy boats ,plastic combined with rocks cost money in a few years.
My 2 cents:beer::beer:

thanks for the insight, I do plan to run the halfway (if there is enough water) a bit and the pine, I am going with a 10 degree bottom.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have ran the halfway also from the peace up .
My first boat , 23 ft marathon with 3/16 bottom 12 degree.
Just can't go this time of year unless river rises.
Couple weeks ago went from mile 95 bridge up to the Chawady .
Had to jump over one ledge .

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have ran the halfway also from the peace up .
My first boat , 23 ft marathon with 3/16 bottom 12 degree.
Just can't go this time of year unless river rises.
Couple weeks ago went from mile 95 bridge up to the Chawady .
Had to jump over one ledge .

I have rode sleds 40miles up the the head if the chowade, if the water is real skinny I just borrow my dads 14 air boat, it is fun but to loud !!!

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ear muffs ?? Lol

yup !!! and its cold to ride in come late fall.....full winter gear required....went up the Halfway several years back towards the end of October, the water was so skinny we were not able to kill anything, we were scared we would draft to water with an animal in the boat...it was fun though

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My bother inlaw was raised at home stead just above the bridge on west side.
We hunted up there lots in the early 80's
Wasn't much up they then but good hunting.
Worked quite a bit all around there building canfor road towards falls and logger Gordy Burton

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My bother inlaw was raised at home stead just above the bridge on west side.
We hunted up there lots in the early 80's
Wasn't much up they then but good hunting.
Worked quite a bit all around there building canfor road towards falls and logger Gordy Burton

cool, I have spent a few nights in the Canfor cabin, and know the Simpson's, there is way to much back there now including the f-in russians

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cool, I have spent a few nights in the Canfor cabin, and know the Simpson's, there is way to much back there now including the f-in russians

Yep Simpson's. Lol
Jim and Daryl still have a place behind the school.
Small world

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep Simpson's. Lol
Jim and Daryl still have a place behind the school.
Small world

my Mom went to school with Denise, when I was a kid we went up there to visit

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you picked a boat Clode?

If so why did you choose that particular one?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you picked a boat Clode?

If so why did you choose that particular one?

Ali-craft Ranger 20 ft, 350, 212 pump, I went to see them in person and they were very good to talk to, they gave me a quote and options list, they have followed up to see if I had anymore questions. Some of the others I talked to said they would email info and I have never received anything, enough said.

The fact that Ali-craft has been building boats since like 1982 says alot to me, people like the product. I am booking a winter build.

I don't think I should have to bug a builder for a price, when you are going to spend 70g you would think they would really try to get your buisness

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ali-craft Ranger 20 ft, 350, 212 pump, I went to see them in person and they were very good to talk to, they gave me a quote and options list, they have followed up to see if I had anymore questions. Some of the others I talked to said they would email info and I have never received anything, enough said.

The fact that Ali-craft has been building boats since like 1982 says alot to me, people like the product. I am booking a winter build.

I don't think I should have to bug a builder for a price, when you are going to spend 70g you would think they would really try to get your buisness

Vey good boats in my opinion. I spent hours and hours searching and doing research. At the end of the day I couldn't bring myself to spend 70 or more for a learner boat. Hope you enjoy your new toy, maybe see you on the river one day.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vey good boats in my opinion. I spent hours and hours searching and doing research. At the end of the day I couldn't bring myself to spend 70 or more for a learner boat. Hope you enjoy your new toy, maybe see you on the river one day.

I hear ya, but at least with a new boat you know what you have....used can be scary, and what some guys want ($$$) for used is insane

Top Bottom