Shop air compressor

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going through the same thing right now. I have outgrown my 120v 30 gallon and it's time for a 240v 60 gallon. It will be nice to be able to use tools more than waiting for air to build. Looking for a used one on a budget as I am doing a forced air heater too so the budget is tight.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be carefull of the lies they do about horse power on air compressors. 5 HP should draw 22.5 amps 240 volt giving about 18 cfm at 100psi. The claim of 6 hp (really 3 HP) at 15 amps 240v gives 11 cfm .

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going through the same thing right now. I have outgrown my 120v 30 gallon and it's time for a 240v 60 gallon. It will be nice to be able to use tools more than waiting for air to build. Looking for a used one on a budget as I am doing a forced air heater too so the budget is tight.
We're in the same boat. Looking for a good deal on a nice 10hp three phase compressor for the shop.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're in the same boat. Looking for a good deal on a nice 10hp three phase compressor for the shop.

I've seen some insanely good deals on 3 phase compressors. Guessing there just isn't as much demand for them because not many people have 3 phase power. Seen a 10hp Ingersol rand for like 1500 last year

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen some insanely good deals on 3 phase compressors. Guessing there just isn't as much demand for them because not many people have 3 phase power. Seen a 10hp Ingersol rand for like 1500 last year
That is an amazing price. I would jump on a deal like that for sure. All I'm finding in that ballpark are 25 year old machines, or the China specials

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is an amazing price. I would jump on a deal like that for sure. All I'm finding in that ballpark are 25 year old machines, or the China specials

There's an Ingersol rand t30 in Kijiji right now for 1500. I would snap it up but looks like three phase. 120 gallon tank, 10hp motor. It's a steal. But I messaged the guy a couple days ago and haven't heard back. I'm sure it's three phase but if not I'll grab it

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

To bad Trudeau wasn’t closer, he’s full of hot air and wind. He could supply you with a endless supply of both.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To bad Trudeau wasn’t closer, he’s full of hot air and wind. He could supply you with a endless supply of both.
I wouldn't let that kunt in my yard nevermind my garage. He'd probably pawn my tools to buy himself a lobster dinner.

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And send you the bill after!!

I’ve decided it’s gonna be cheaper to upgrade some of my cordless stuff than go with bigger air power. 1/2” Milwaukee undoes a lot of stuff. Air hammer and sandblaster are the only things I use air for that are hard on air, but it’s so rare that I use either for extended periods it’s not worth the cost of a bigger unit.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bit late on this one, but keep an eye out with all these shops closing. We picked up a 5HP Rolair 2 Stage for 550 bucks last year. Needed to be rewired but the thing is near new, came out of a fab shop in Calgary here.. Many people are right in saying the electric tools have come far, but there is deals out there. And damn is it sweet being able to have 2 people using air sanders on a hot rod and not run out of air.

IMO, having a nice cast body pump (that can be rebuilt) that is nice and quiet and rarely turns on is worth every dollar. The thing will probably be running still when im long dead.

^^^what this guy said. my GF does restorations in her shop at her acreage and we were both using DAs to strip the paint off the '31 Model A pickup she is working on. Was nice never running out of air. My 30gallon eagle works good for my shop, just standard tires, and air nailers and chit, but if you need a good supply of air go bigger IMO

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And send you the bill after!!

I’ve decided it’s gonna be cheaper to upgrade some of my cordless stuff than go with bigger air power. 1/2” Milwaukee undoes a lot of stuff. Air hammer and sandblaster are the only things I use air for that are hard on air, but it’s so rare that I use either for extended periods it’s not worth the cost of a bigger unit.

Just did this. My air compressor isn’t big enough to run a die grinder for very long. Had a job that needed lots of die grinding so just bought a Milwaukee cordless one. Such a nice die grinder! And my loud cheap air compressor isn’t running all the time. Got the drill and 1/4” impact to, next will be there 1/2” impact.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't let that kunt in my yard nevermind my garage. He'd probably pawn my tools to buy himself a lobster dinner.
No worries he hate us anyhow, we’re from bc. No chance he will even blow smoke up are a$$ unless it on CBC news.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200305_081307_com.ebay.kijiji.ca.jpg

Well it's not my dream compressor but the price was right. Got it for $350. Just need to get it to Creston now

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

why do that when you could just bounce on the tab?

Top Bottom