Shop air compressor

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys have been so helpful with this type of stuff that thought I would throw this out there

Been thinking about getting a good compressor for my shop for a while now. Lift I just bought has air/hydraulic jacks so maybe now is the time. Would be using it for a bit of everything. Air tools, jacks in lift, painting, etc.

Any advice on brands to lean towards or away from? Have looked around for a used one but haven't seen any deals. Single stage vs two stage, tank size, motor hp.......

Top contender right now is a Quincy 60 gallon 5hp two stage. 1300 us plus tax. Pretty bad when your "compromise" choice is still twice as much as you want to spend. Other option I guess is to get a 3.5 hp 60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld and see how that works.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do install a compressor do not cheap out on a good air/water separating unit most shops create a lot of moisture and will destroy the pump and tank

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something with a higher cfm so u can run die grinders or sanders
oh and put it outside of the shop or a closed off room

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cordless tools are so good these day, dont know if Ill ever buy another air tool.

Im betting you could get away with a way smaller/cheaper compressor. But I don't really know what ur planning on doing with it.

so good luck.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both of those compressors are very good. Not sure where you could get service parts but I like the Quincy product.
For what I do at home, both are overkill for me.
I just have a dual voltage 1.6hp single stage v-twin compressor with a 30gallon tank. Its on wheels so I can take it in the back yard for projects.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does your hoist have a air volume/pressure requirement? I would start there. Quincy is commercial quality will last a lifetime. Do you need portability? 220v is best if you have supply.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing more frustrating then an air compressor that's too small for ones use. I did a fair bit of research before buying one, but basically use it now for filling tires, and blowing out sprinklers. I've established a pretty good collection of Milwaukee tools now which I go too first.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 60 gallon a few years ago, think i've used it twice :eek: The only real use for me is when I need my 1" impact. For everything else it's cordless, or my electric impact is very good also for smaller stuff. Unless you really need something big i'd probably just get like a 20-30 gallon. My 20 gallon will run my 1" impact almost as well, just for very very short time. But when it's so rare it doesn't really matter much. I don't even really use my 20 gallon, the 6 gallon pancake works just fine for blowing up tires and other little things.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something with a higher cfm so u can run die grinders or sanders
oh and put it outside of the shop or a closed off room

I just wonder why bother with air? My electric die grinder is so much more convenient. I also like that I can use it anywhere I need it with my generator instead of trying to lug around a big compressor to keep up with it.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any kind of shop you should have some form of air if you work on your own things.
Don’t need a big system but it’s required IMO .
Deaner is installing a lift and it’s even more important to have a system of some kind.
Put this in as well as cheap and handy .

https://www.amazon.ca/Maxline-M3800...ords=garage+airline+kit&qid=1581899052&sr=8-1

Oh absolutely need something. But a $250 20 gallon compared to spending like $1000 or even $1500 on a big unit that for most people will yield exactly the same results.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh absolutely need something. But a $250 20 gallon compared to spending like $1000 or even $1500 on a big unit that for most people will yield exactly the same results.

I always go overkill as have in the past kicked myself for being cheap at the time .
Cost me more later . Lol
Look for used also as can save .
Especially right now in Alberta as lots of items for sale .

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always go overkill as have in the past kicked myself for being cheap at the time .
Cost me more later . Lol
Look for used also as can save .
Especially right now in Alberta as lots of items for sale .

True. I bought my 60 gallon and 1" impact on a whim when I decided it would be wise to do a repair on my heavy trailer. In reality I dropped almost $2k by the time I added in big impact sockets, large air lines, etc on everything and would have been better off just paying someone to fix it. I mean I have 4 compressors and barely ever use them.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never tried a e diegrinder have to check those out
but i wouldnt trade my 60 gal compressor as its bolted down outside the shop and can hardly hear it when its running
I do have a small pancake also for house repairs etc
cant imagine not having fixed air lines run to a few diff spots around the shop and a retractable hose when needed

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's crazy how quick you can run out of air if you don't have the right compressor. The air/hydraulic jacks I got with my lift are amazing but my little portable CH 5 gallon can't begin to keep up. And it will run an impact no problem. Also started using an air ratchet more (which I friggin love) and man does it use a lot of air. I figure it's something a guy is going to have for a lifetime so might as well get one I'm happy with.

Ingersol rand looks like it is marketed as a higher end brand but sure alot of bad reviews online. Hard to know how accurate online reviews are sometimes.

Kgra

Reaction score
If you only have 120v Power this seems like a good bang for buck- no experience though

If you have 240v. Have used this with approx 700hrs run time with just a couple oil changes and was still like new and cranked up pressure to kick in at 125psi cause that’s what I like. It does come on sale at too.

also had a eagle 18cfm 60gallon that I used for 10years and many hrs. One time the air line blew while I was away for 10days during -20c winter and my 1000sqft shop was like +30c inside from the heat of the motor and compressor running for how many ever days strait. I changed the oil and still used it and for a year and sold with that house too. I have another one of these as a backup for my business shop now.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's crazy how quick you can run out of air if you don't have the right compressor. The air/hydraulic jacks I got with my lift are amazing but my little portable CH 5 gallon can't begin to keep up. And it will run an impact no problem. Also started using an air ratchet more (which I friggin love) and man does it use a lot of air. I figure it's something a guy is going to have for a lifetime so might as well get one I'm happy with.

Ingersol rand looks like it is marketed as a higher end brand but sure alot of bad reviews online. Hard to know how accurate online reviews are sometimes.

I bought this little guy last month for a project that was very tight space, no way I could get a cordless in there. And I hate to admit it but I find myself grabbing this vs my Snap-on 3/8”
I’m amazed at the torq of it but yes ur right they suck a lot of air as do die grinders. Rig ur self up a auto water drain off bottom of tank, they are cheap to buy now. But scare the crap out of ya if ur picking weeds outside the shop where it dumps too!
32e452839f9fb5a2b9564dd1bfdebb0c.jpg

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bit late on this one, but keep an eye out with all these shops closing. We picked up a 5HP Rolair 2 Stage for 550 bucks last year. Needed to be rewired but the thing is near new, came out of a fab shop in Calgary here.. Many people are right in saying the electric tools have come far, but there is deals out there. And damn is it sweet being able to have 2 people using air sanders on a hot rod and not run out of air.

IMO, having a nice cast body pump (that can be rebuilt) that is nice and quiet and rarely turns on is worth every dollar. The thing will probably be running still when im long dead.

Last edited:

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish I had a 60 gal [I have a 40 gal]...not enough air for die grinders, sanders. Also use my battery tools... drills, impact, ratchet etc. Depends on the job you're working on, sometimes batteries just don't last, even if you have a handful of them.
As others have mentioned, if you can exhaust the compressor outside it cuts down on the noise a lot...having compressor outside, even better. My $.02

Top Bottom