Shock or Springs

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 09 163 X and the rear suspension seems off to me. It seems to compress way to easy and takes a long time to return. I have bumped up the springs to MAX and it still doesn't seem right. I am comparing it to my 07 151. This weekend will be the first ride on it so I will see how it is on an actual ride. My thought is maybe the previous owner was a big dude and the springs have streched. Is that possible? I've never had a set strech so I am just wondering.
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks

shockman

Reaction score
08's and 09's had a sagging problem, some of the problem was enhanced by bad shocks from new, however a shock rebuild is not the fix, it may help. Ski-Doo fixed it with a new design for 2010. There is an upgrade kit to 2010 specs but it is fairly pricey, new front torque arm, new longer centre shock, and a recommendation to revalve rear shock to 2010 specs. I would say to ride it and see how it works as they seem to work okay even in there sagged mode, you can service shocks $30 each and it may help a little?? I have serviced dozens and revalved, but never cured the sag problem just improved the ride a little.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ski-doo's answer is they built the sled with sag incorporated into the design.

And yes, some of that is true. The sled does have a little sag built in. This allows the skid to drop out in deep snow. What you don't want is to have no rebound. Even my 2012 is slow to rebound and its set up for my riding weight.

If you don't have a copy of the original operators guide, download it. Set up the suspension the way they suggest. Its free

Also the stock sized torsion springs are meant for a 12 year old girl. Everyone should have the heavier rear torsion springs. They run about $65-85 each. You can have the rear shock revalved, or upgrade it.

These guys do a decent upgrade which gives you the longer center shock and new rear shock

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I would never thought about the frt shock as being part of this issue. I have heard about the heavier torsion springs. I am taking it out tomorrow and will try different set-ups before changing anything.

curtisbuhs

Reaction score
I have the 2012 Summit SP 800 with 146" track and I am playing with my suspension rates and limiter strap to get more ski lift on flat land. On my old 07 Rev 600 gade I let the strap all the way out and put my front shocks at the stiffest position along with the front shock in the rear skid. I also did a rear skid drop, but that was specific to the rev chassis. These mods made the sled wheelie everywhere and was a blast to ride. It wasn't too much up in the mountains either which was great. So I was wondering if anyone has any limiter strap settings for the XP chassis. Or should I just leave it at the stock position and just change shock settings? I'm 180lbs​

Top Bottom