Shell Advanced-On Sale

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Just bought the last two in Spruce Grove, not sure if they have any in the back or not...

There is some on a display close to the front.....

Question..... What is the difference (performance) between synthetic and conventional? Pretty sure we've always run conv. in ours, can I go to synthetic? is it worth it?

1997 A/C Mountain cat cougar 550
1999 summit 670X

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
on a separate note anyone needing a sockt set Mastercraft 1/4 3/8 & 1/2 not sure how many pieces but good size regular $189 on sale for 49.99

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Booger there is a thread in snowmobile chat about synethic oils take a look you question could be answered

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is some on a display close to the front.....

Question..... What is the difference (performance) between synthetic and conventional? Pretty sure we've always run conv. in ours, can I go to synthetic? is it worth it?

1997 A/C Mountain cat cougar 550
1999 summit 670X

There are quite a few changes. Oils can be designed with difference characteristics. Much like different types of Dino oils.

Much like engine oil, the synthetic keeps a more uniform viscosity at various temperatures. You may think, WTF does that matter? It's 2-stroke oil! However, this does matter even with the current systems on sleds and not just mix oils.

If you want, search the net with an open mind. Lots of false info out there, but also a lot of solid information. Sled people seem much less informed and debatable. If you want, check out KTMtalk.com and read to your hearts content in the oil forum. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS MOTORCYCLE related though, however the oil technology applied to the oils for specific uses are relevant.

Ive found the oil being discussed burns well, smokes very little, doesn't smell bad, and easily obtainable. I have yet to tear into my engine, but like many, I can't find nearly enough information on sled oil. The "I use the best I can get" response is all too common. Price and marketing has NOTHING to do with oil quality. Absolutely NOTHING.

Most don't know Amsoil has done some VERY shady business in the past, yet their marketing has made them out to be a "premium" oil.

Also, as some may gaulk, I'm a avid Rotella T user in everything from my dirtbikes to my exotic motorcycle.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 2000 ski doo with 7500 km on it. Always run Shell Advance Oil and have had no engine issues. Cleaned the Rave Valves last year and they were clean and not gummed up at all. Pistons looked great clean and no carbon buildup. Havnt switched my new sled over Yet. Engine warranty expires 1/2 way thru season so Shell will be my replacement.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
25% off 33.69 per 4 litre's...Just got back from CT in Kamloops and I grabbed 2 full cases (8 -4 l in total)old lady rang it in,2x33.69=79.00 thank you very much.I guess i got it for 75% off.10 bucks per 4 l.....

:eek::eek::nono::nono:::nono::nono::nono::

Not sure why you would brag about rippin someone off.

:(:(

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys run Sonic XL-S Synthetic 2 Stroke from Co-op? I bought 4, 4 liter jugs at the snow show here in Vernon for $120. I was using Shell Advanced last year after Motul went to $52 a jug. But even Shell was up to $49 for 4 liters here. Time to buy a Yamaha........ just Chittin!:beer:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imagine that Spruce Grove Canadian Tire out of stock on something, it takes my breath away.

The store is a joke, I live west of Stony and don't even bother stopping in anymore, right to the west end of Edmonton. ( I am a flyer shopper, but nothing pisses me off more when they are out of stock, but please feel free to stand in that line over there (20 deep) to get a rain check. (We will call you when it's in, really.)

Sorry kids the store gets me going.:mad:

I got the flyer in my mailbox today and read it cover to cover and did not see the oil in it ?? But it was on sale for $33.69/4L.
But your right.. the Spruce Grove store is a joke.

Harp

Reaction score
All Synthetics Are Not Created Equal.
(In fact, some “synthetics” are not even truly synthetic.)Spectro® Platinum Synthetic is, without
doubt, one of the finest synthetic lubricants
you can buy today, no matter what kind of
motorcycle, snowmobile, PWC or racing car
you run.
Why? Because it is a true synthetic.
Spectro Platinum Synthetic is crafted from
modern Group IV PAO (polyalphaolefin) synthetic
base stocks. These PAO molecules are
assembled from the ground up to provide
superior strength and endurance, no matter
how hard you push or long you punish them.
The Group IV synthetic molecule is thus engineered
from scratch to better resist being
sheared in the gears, and to fight degrading
oxidation due to high temperatures.
(The competitive Group III petroleum oils —
adjudged “synthetic” in the course of a long,
contentious legal proceeding — are just typical
mineral oil molecules which have been
refined to a higher level than standard petroleum.
They are fine oils, we would agree, but
they are not purpose-built starting at the
molecular level to deliver maximum
endurance.)
The advantage of true 100% synthetics isn’t
measured in lubrication qualities like “slipperiness”,
but more in longevity and
“usability”.
Easier starting at any temperature, less reaction
to temperature extremes, greater durability
and resistance to breakdown through
molecular shearing.
Spectro Platinum costs more, but delivers so
much more longevity and security.
So when you’re offered a “synthetic” at a
lesser price than Spectro Platinum, chances
are good you’re getting a lesser product.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Harp, Harp, Harp....
your starting to sound like a broken record !!
Maybe you should become a suporting Vendor.
Or maybe some free oil to give it a try.
I have an old lawnmower that could use some oil..

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been useing Shell for 15 years, Bought 12 jugs this morning, should do me for a lot of smiles:d

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Been running the Shell Synthetic for 11 years now, raves are spotless and never an issue, i stock up every time Cdn tire has this sale for the season....i will be rain checking another 16 gallons for this year :)

Oh, and make sure you adjust your oil consumption down to proper 35:1 ratio, as most sleds gulp the oil down at the stock setting (mine was at 14:1 stock).

Harp

Reaction score
Harp, Harp, Harp....
your starting to sound like a broken record !!
Maybe you should become a suporting Vendor.
Or maybe some free oil to give it a try.
I have an old lawnmower that could use some oil..

Thats a great reply thanks. :) LOL
I'm working with Ron to become a seporting vendor I hope by next week.
Golden Spectro Shell equivalint (Group 3) Retail $40.00/Jug Every day price.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a great reply thanks. :) LOL
I'm working with Ron to become a seporting vendor I hope by next week.
Golden Spectro Shell equivalint (Group 3) Retail $40.00/Jug Every day price.

Is this a multi level marketing thing? I don't seport those things;)

freejay

Reaction score
on a separate note anyone needing a sockt set Mastercraft 1/4 3/8 & 1/2 not sure how many pieces but good size regular $189 on sale for 49.99

I have one of the mastercraft kits you mention and while the tools seem alright the case itself sucks azz!! Every time you open it there are sockets all over that you have to put back in their places, I actually had to cut a piece of thin foam to lay in so they would kinda stay in place. If you happen to leave it in the back of the truck it fills with water guaranteed, no matter if its laying flat or on edge, crappy hinge system, etc.

Am i wrong to think you should be able to leave a tool kit in the back of your truck and not have it fill with water?

rant over...

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one of the mastercraft kits you mention and while the tools seem alright the case itself sucks azz!! Every time you open it there are sockets all over that you have to put back in their places, I actually had to cut a piece of thin foam to lay in so they would kinda stay in place. If you happen to leave it in the back of the truck it fills with water guaranteed, no matter if its laying flat or on edge, crappy hinge system, etc.

Am i wrong to think you should be able to leave a tool kit in the back of your truck and not have it fill with water?

rant over...

yeah the cases suck

mel.h

Reaction score
The Can. Tire store on 178 Street, Edmonton still has a lot left, just picked up 3 jugs, thought I would leave some for someone else.

Top Bottom