Sewer and Septic Systems

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am building a new house on an acreage and am just starting but I have no idea what to do for a sewer/septic system, does anyone on here have any recommendations or references for good companies they have dealt with around central alberta?

thanks for the help.

Philster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pitbulll.webs.com
Alberta Wilbert Sales Ltd. has been around for 40 years.They have a good
reputation.Some times it depends on the lay of the land.
We are on high ground so our sewer field is gravity fed.No need for a pump.
Also we have a large under ground over flow tank in case the field backs up.
And You don't want to deal with that.:):):d:d

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It depends, How much land. If you dont have at least 10 Acres i would look into a treatment system. I know a company called Ivanhoe sells them. If you are over 10 acres than the sewer system should be really easy. i have a lot that is 6 acres and i put in a field, but with what it was worth i could have easily installed the treatment system
just my 2 cents

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 5.5 acres and the land does have a slope to it. Any idea on pricing for either a septic field or for a treatment system?

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is what we do here at frontier..we sell sewer and septic systems..i can supply you with eq 36 equalizer chambers for a field or our new aquasafe wastwater treatment systems..these are 3 large green fiberglass tanks installed by one of our qualified installers.after the treatment of the sewage it can be used for gardens or flowerbeds,for your well or sistern we have a excellent line of pumps that will do the job for you...we also have any plumbing supplies you will ever need..pm me if i can help you out..

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont forget to check with the local authoritires. distances from property lines and types of systems you can use are limted in most areas.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tank and mound are about $10,000.

gforce, we may have to talk, I'm building next year and have to upgrade to meet Strathcona Counties guidelines.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These guidelines are changing big time make sure you check with autorities like earleir posted. Some of the inspectors dont even know the regulations, then they pass the inspections and some systems have failed.. you need to do the soil testing for sure.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes definatly check your local biulding specs,out here they make you have a perk test to make sure the ground is right,sandy gravely material preffered for native soil,if not your hauling in c33 sand.I personally think for a single house aplicatoin a gravity field work just fine,Ive never had one fail yet with just alittle maintanence,out here,and I live were theres no zoning we still half to have them engineered for a first time install.If doin the sand route presure fields are the way to go.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my area, in order to have a mound or straight run out, you have to have at least 80 acres. i have 9, we went with a field. the treatment plant thing was brought up, but WAAAAY more expensive than a field. like others have said, check with local authorities. i could only put my field in a certain area of my property do to a small stream at one end, and the soil has to be right, and the water table below a certain level! i almost had to go with the treatment plant, but we found suitable conditions for the field, and went with that!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
This is just a thing to think about....If you have a holiday trailer it is a great idea to put in a sani dump as well..It is very handy after a week end of camping.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my area, in order to have a mound or straight run out, you have to have at least 80 acres.

Wow, I thought Strathcona was tough. My neighbors put in a mound on 5 acres last year. I'm on 10, so I won't know if it's a mound or perk system until they test next spring.

I currently have an outhouse over my septic tank, so a tailer dump shouldn't be too tough. If it is, a vent with a cap 6" underground and buried could be used at a later date.:rolleyes:

Blu du

Reaction score
i'am an installer in the states. it sounds like you have different laws then us. we have inspections on all systems installed along with designs of the systems. a 4 bedroom gravity system with a 1500 gallon tank with rock trench drainfield runs about $4000. mound system about $10000-$12000

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My acreage slopes about 5 feet for every 70 feet so I have a self-siphon to the septic field. Only problem ever had was the second winter I forgot about the field and drove all over it with the sleds. Come first week of april the frost pushed down and froze the field. Did not know this had happened and had seen the neighbours dog hangin around the tank lid. Went to investigate and found the tank was overflowing:eek: Of course this all happens the day before we were leaving for 2 weeks to Disneyland. Got a Vac truck that day to suck-er-up. Field finally thawed out about 2nd week of May. I now ribbon off the field to keep traffic off for the winter. All is good.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good luck on sani dump for your rv, legally.
i have one! the septic guy asked if i would like one while they were running all the pipe and had the ground opened u[. said it would cost me about $30 bucks in materials. i said HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom