Seven dead after crash on Hwy 63

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they put the cables up on hwy 2 because the median is only 25' feet wide. look at hwy 43....how many head on crashes occur on the stretch between carvel and valleyview now? none....

Couple points about QE 2 . The cables do attempt to stop the vehicles from crossing into oncoming traffic at the narrow areas. Some vehicles make it across anyway.
What does occur now is a vehicle pin balls from gaurd rail to cable and a muti vehicle crash occurs. This causing a rear end crash. Actually a lot of the fatals have occured when a vehicle crossed the meridian and drove 40 yrds across and head on. No cables in these areas.
The cables do save lives but also do cause some fatals.
This I know because I have been to most of the accidents.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple points about QE 2 . The cables do attempt to stop the vehicles from crossing into oncoming traffic at the narrow areas. Some vehicles make it across anyway.
What does occur now is a vehicle pin balls from gaurd rail to cable and a muti vehicle crash occurs. This causing a rear end crash. Actually a lot of the fatals have occured when a vehicle crossed the meridian and drove 40 yrds across and head on. No cables in these areas.
The cables do save lives but also do cause some fatals.
This I know because I have been to most of the accidents.
even so, in places with the wider median you cannot say that the head ons haven't been reduced by twinned highway. they used to call 43 "highway of death". not so much anymore....63 has taken that moniker. for a vehicle to cross the median and remain pointing into the oncoming traffic is highly unusual, but may occur as a freak accident. on 43 anyways....I'm sure 63 will be constructed to the same specs

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even so, in places with the wider median you cannot say that the head ons haven't been reduced by twinned highway. they used to call 43 "highway of death". not so much anymore....63 has taken that moniker. for a vehicle to cross the median and remain pointing into the oncoming traffic is highly unusual, but may occur as a freak accident. on 43 anyways....I'm sure 63 will be constructed to the same specs

True. Anything done that saves lives is worth it.

jwood99

Reaction score
From watching the news I see that the crash occurred on flat, straight black top... somebody was driving like a idiot. Why is everyone blaming the road?

sorry from coming across blunt, just family friends were the ones in the truck of 6 people. Please keep all the families in mind, but also the witness' and first responders who had to assist and help the ones who survived.

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bureaucracy

No.. It takes about a year to get the funding through the budget cycle, about a year to do the engineering and then tender the work, materials and then lay pavement. I'm not sure how much has been completed to date, but I know it's significantly more than that.

It really is too bad that people get so impatient and rip on the highway. Twinning will certainly help, but enforcement and teaching a culture of patience and defensive driving would go much farther in terms of prevention.

My heart goes out to those people affected. This is certainly a tragedy.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No.. It takes about a year to get the funding through the budget cycle, about a year to do the engineering and then tender the work..... =bureaucracy. the construction itself is the easy part.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Twin it and make it user pay. $50 going up and $50 bucks coming back to cover the cost of construction......lol, this should be good for a few negative replies

I feel bad for six people who lost there lives because of a poor decision of one.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Twin it and make it user pay. $50 going up and $50 bucks coming back to cover the cost of construction......lol, this should be good for a few negative replies

I feel bad for six people who lost there lives because of a poor decision of one.

How are Fort Mcmurrians supposed to afford hookers and blow if u put a toll on the road?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
any loss is sad but when it's kids it really sucks...

Guy I know lost his wife and grandchild 3 years ago on that highway...same circumstance...

It sucks... thats why I try to make the best of each day..

So a few more details released. 2 yr old And 11 yr old among the victims. Also a youth pastor. Sad

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts go out to the deceased and Im gonna add my two cents.

I worked in Emergency Services in Fort McMurray a few years ago. I drove the highway every 4 days. I saw my fair share of collisions on 63 while on shift and while driving back and forth. Ranging from this Bus and tanker crash on Alberta highway, injuring 12 - Edmonton - CBC News to very minor collisions.

The highway isnt good, everyone who drives it knows it. Its a long stretch from Grassland to McMurray with very little to look at. The conditions on it can change quite rapidly. Lack of places to pass makes people impatient.

The people who drive the highway are just as dangerous as the road. I have seen semi's stuck across the highway as the spun out and didnt have chains. Many people drive way too fast, the speed limit is rarely obeyed. A combination of cars, pickups, semis and wide overlength loads make passing a real treat. Inexperienced drivers also frequent the road, one fatal collision (car vs pickup) was caused by person hitting the accelerator to see if road was slippery.

I have to agree with many people here in that twinning the highway would drastically reduce the number of head on collisions. Although head on collisions could be reduced by twinning it isnt going to make the highway safe. Just like the QEII highway, on a twinned highway every kilometre of highway has four kilometres of ditch.

I personally think the highway should be twinned, but also have more rest areas put in, and be better patrolled by not only police in cruisers by in the air as well. I also think the highway should gates to close the highway in extreme weather, the transcanada highway has them in places so why not 63?

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also born, raised, and still living in fort mac, this is year 24. The highway itself is not horrid, but its not even in the condition of hwy 2 if you chose one side and put two way traffic on it. Pot holes, frost heaves, and chitty fill jobs make it barely a pleasant drive on a weekday afternoon. The people who marked the passing lanes also must have been in a semi, as when I drive it in my pickup truck or a car, there are many places that are dotted I am uncomfortable to pass bc of the lack of visibility, which on the flip side they have solid lines in flat areas with ample visibility. These things you'd know if you spent any time on it.

I agree the greatest issue is the drivers and there mentalities. If the oilsands encouraged or enforced guys to live here with there families, instead of promoting commuting that would greatly reduce the amount of people on the roads, as well as the rush. When your away from home after 10+ days you just want to get there. The masses that drive this highway are lacking sleep, are very distracted, and even partly idiot. Travelling at 40km/hr for 30min behind a load that takes up the shoulder the lane and half of the oncoming lane doesn't do anything for anyones sanity or patience. Enforcement would be great, and at times they are out like flees. But at the busiest times it's rare to come across them, which I somewhat understand. Do you want to be standing on the side of the highway with guys travelling at excessive speeds in poor conditions (road, visibility & mentally) which is two way?? I know I wouldn't want to be, so why would they want to excessively risk their lives? just sayin. We have loads on this highway that require 6trucks attached to one trailer to get it here travelling 30km/h down to the street bikes travelling at 300km/h. Mixing in a high and active moose & deer population on top of it.

Im not making excuses for drivers or highway, but there are several factors, all of which add up more often than we'd like to see. Why the twinning went on the backburner? Well it's always easier to take all the money from here than it is to consider putting any into it. If the govt cant afford it, then perhaps they should up the taxes/royalties on the oilsands, get them to pay for it or contribute some of there equipment to it (ie suncor built an overpass in 6months for themselves, it takes the city 3 years). They don't take nearly what they could from these companies anyway.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also born, raised, and still living in fort mac, this is year 24. The highway itself is not horrid, but its not even in the condition of hwy 2 if you chose one side and put two way traffic on it. Pot holes, frost heaves, and chitty fill jobs make it barely a pleasant drive on a weekday afternoon. The people who marked the passing lanes also must have been in a semi, as when I drive it in my pickup truck or a car, there are many places that are dotted I am uncomfortable to pass bc of the lack of visibility, which on the flip side they have solid lines in flat areas with ample visibility. These things you'd know if you spent any time on it.

I agree the greatest issue is the drivers and there mentalities. If the oilsands encouraged or enforced guys to live here with there families, instead of promoting commuting that would greatly reduce the amount of people on the roads, as well as the rush. When your away from home after 10+ days you just want to get there. The masses that drive this highway are lacking sleep, are very distracted, and even partly idiot. Travelling at 40km/hr for 30min behind a load that takes up the shoulder the lane and half of the oncoming lane doesn't do anything for anyones sanity or patience. Enforcement would be great, and at times they are out like flees. But at the busiest times it's rare to come across them, which I somewhat understand. Do you want to be standing on the side of the highway with guys travelling at excessive speeds in poor conditions (road, visibility & mentally) which is two way?? I know I wouldn't want to be, so why would they want to excessively risk their lives? just sayin. We have loads on this highway that require 6trucks attached to one trailer to get it here travelling 30km/h down to the street bikes travelling at 300km/h. Mixing in a high and active moose & deer population on top of it.

Im not making excuses for drivers or highway, but there are several factors, all of which add up more often than we'd like to see. Why the twinning went on the backburner? Well it's always easier to take all the money from here than it is to consider putting any into it. If the govt cant afford it, then perhaps they should up the taxes/royalties on the oilsands, get them to pay for it or contribute some of there equipment to it (ie suncor built an overpass in 6months for themselves, it takes the city 3 years). They don't take nearly what they could from these companies anyway.

Stelmach tried and got blamed for the world economic collapse. Maybe make it a toll road, then employers can add a road pass as a perk of working up there.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stelmach tried and got blamed for the world economic collapse. Maybe make it a toll road, then employers can add a road pass as a perk of working up there.
Just what we need is to fund big corps that should be helping to twin it. Just like our government, tax payers pay for infrastructures like power lines to ship power south and alls we get is larger power bills and tax bills. So take your toll road and shove it where the sun dont shine. Nothing personal.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Larger bills and taxes you arent kidding lol I work in a powerhouse on site. The powerplants on the major sites combined in one day make enough to run all the plantsites and fort mcmurray for 2+days. Yet we have some of the highest distribution charges in the province. Explain that one haha

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you be more specific?? i dont think its Stelmacks fault that this road is dangerous

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I disagree that the corporations should be responsible to help pay for public highways. the province approves all the development permits for the projects up there including manpower requirements and they collect large amounts of fees and tax on said development. The developments create a broader tax base, increased personal income (which is taxed as well) etc etc...

The provincial government has allowed Fort Mac to outgrow it's aged infrastructure with pizz poor planning on future considerations all the while sucking the milk from the teet

Just what we need is to fund big corps that should be helping to twin it. Just like our government, tax payers pay for infrastructures like power lines to ship power south and alls we get is larger power bills and tax bills. So take your toll road and shove it where the sun dont shine. Nothing personal.

Top Bottom