Servomotor Failure?

Jayste

Reaction score
So I decided to do the annual power valve cleaning and had to adjust one cable a little bit, put everything back together and now I get an error code 18, which stands for servomotor failure. Tried reving it high but the valves aren't opening and runs crappy. Cables open and close nice by hand, did the servomotor just coincidently crap out? Any ideas?

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the cables on the wrong side of the servo motor?or not adjusted correctly

Last edited:

tcase82

Reaction score
Make sure you the put the cables back on the servo motor in the right spot. I made that mistake before too, and it caused the engine code. You can idle around than when you hit 6500 the code will throw and pretty much limp mode your motor.

Jseime

Reaction score
Mine is actually doing the same thing right now, the servomotor crapped out this weekend in revelstoke, which lead to my gauges and everything not working and some smoke from the computer. We ended up limping it back down, so I ripped the sled all apart today, changed the clutch side power valve cable, which didn't need done but I had already bought it and threw in new plugs. I ended up getting a new servo from a buddy of mine who no longer has his M8, and when I pulled out of the garage to test it, it gave me ECU 18 as well.

The good news is that the gauges and everything seem to be working so I may not have cooked anything else. I guess I will swap the spots and try adjusting the cables tomorrow.

Jayste

Reaction score
I figured it out, when I disassembled it, I took the pulley off of the servomotor to make it easier to remove the cables and when I put it together I must of moved the servomotor shaft and it ended up being 180 degrees out. Spun the shaft back 180 on the pulley and everything is good. I wasn't looking forward to the $550 for a new one! SMRT

Top Bottom