Selling a used truck.

Misfit

Reaction score
Well Ive been advertising my truck for a couple of years now :dunno: off and on, Ive had it in the same price range as equally equiped trucks and no luck at all. Has anybody who is selling a truck had any luck lately. Id just like to get something with better fuel economy but cannot for the life of me sell my truck. I was pretty dissapointed on what I could get for a trade in on my truck and I don't make a wage thats anything to brag about so my best option was selling and buying the right vehicle with the money from the sale. Just venting.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is a guzzler it would be hard to sell right now. My brother just sold his H2 and took a bath just to get rid of it. $150 fill ups not so attractive.

Try advertising it in different places ie. auto trader and bargain finder maybe somone will pick it up for a work truck or company truck.

:twocents

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Try Kijiji.ca might have some luck there

please do not take this the wrong way but you have some things going against you Location, chev:p 3/4 gas, 236,000km out of province truck priced right in the middle of the trucks down the street at the dealers that finance...without the 4 hour drive from the city You might have to have a total blow out price to lure out of towners
Maybe you could put it on consignment at a reputable dealer in the city...I know Koch used to do it
I got the blackbook figures for ya

Average Trade-In & Retail Value

Year Make Model Series Body Style
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LT Ext Cab 4WD

Depending on your vehicle's condition, the value may be appraised higher or lower than the prices shown. Reconditioning Costs and the actual kilometers on the vehilce may also be a factor.

Average Trade-in: $12,000.00 Average Retail: $14,475.00

Based on the kilometers you have entered, your vehicle would fall below the Average Trade-In price shown.

Adds Deducts
6.6L Diesel
w/o Factory Air

Price Includes
8CYAutomatic Transmission
Power Steering

Anyone else needs black book values I have access to them if anything you need to know

Misfit

Reaction score
Thanks for the book value Murm. I was just basing my price on what I was seeing on Canadatrader.ca. I talked to a local dealer about consigment and they were interested but had to move a few trucks on their lot.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is some pics of the 2002 I just bought from my Brothers company , ya its a oilfield truck. Has no leather or on star. Runs good needed a windshield and some suspenstion work, same KM as yours. And not to bash your hopes but I only paid $5000.00 . Keep in mind he's my brother and if he did not sell it to me cheap, I would tell MOM.

Trucks here are not flying off the shelf at $120 a fill. But still you might be better off keeping it as if you factor in the money you lose selling and buying a car thats cheaper on gas. You probably have to drive that car a long time to pay back your loss's. IMO You have a very nice truck.

IMGP2005.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP2004.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP2003.jpg
[/IMG]

Grizzaris

Reaction score
It will be real tough to sell right now. At the wholesale auctions there is literally tons of trucks and very few wholesalers are standing at the lines that have the trucks. One of the wholesalers told me he saw a 2004 Avalanche with 96000 kms and no one was bidding past 12K.
Try selling it at hunting season or just before the snow flies because it may be in a lttle more demand then.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold my 2003 F-150, Lariat CREW 116000kms very clean for $14500. kinda lucky though.
TRUCKS are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP right now, I am Used Car Manager in calgary and I buy 500 vehicles a year and last nite I appraised a 2006 Chev HD Crew LT, leather roof everything and only 30000kms but 2wd for $14000.
and yes 2005 Avalanches with 80000ishkms are under $12000, I am buying a 2005 F-150 Lariat Crew with 70kms for $15800 or a 2006 F-350 crew FX4 with all the options with 80000kms for $23800 I am undecided. if I want a diesel or not. because I only use it for sleding and boat n.

point is now is not the time to be selling its the time to be buying, but try all the free sites like kijiji and craigslist and maybe price it a bit more aggresive
Black Book MEANS NOTHING RIGHT NOW so dont fool yourself because if anyone wants to pay blackbook right now I got trucks for sale anyone can acces black on the net almost every manufacturer has it but the black book does not write cheques!

So if anyone is in the market for a truck send me a pm and I will help ya out they are CHEAP right now.

good luck selling your ride.
Shawn

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like a newer chev or gmc 4x4 extended cab, short box. cloth seats with most of the bells and whistles for $5000.00 please

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What dealer you work at JB?

Saturn Saab of calgary, we do not do a lot of Truck Business here but I always stock a few mostly loaded crew cabs $20000 plus range, It is hard to find good condition trucks under $8000 relatively speaking, the problem is our shop kills me at $112 per hour and they make the thing like new.
I do come to the Edmonton delaer Auction or attend on-line when the market permits but not so much in the last year. the hard part of my Job is buying product and reconditioning at a good price.

but if someone is looking for something specific I will find it at a good price.

now that leasing is over for the Big 3, it will be the buyer that losses the money so in the next few years we will see some changes, for example those Avalanches we talke about the residual value (buy out for the owner to keep) was probably $20000-$24000 so that means GMAC lost $8000min on each of those units, not the BUYER and that was the good reason to lease right there, on my Saab GMAC lost $13000 on just my car. silly burgers do not know how to set residuals in the competeive market.

who needs a TRUCK?

Misfit

Reaction score
I just redid my add.
The truck is still for sale if anybody is looking for a clean rig for driving, pulling the sleds, hunting, working... etc.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Misfit. I have an 03 GMC 2500HD I would like to sell. The perk I am in is it is not my daily driver and I only use it for toy hauling or working at my dads place. I figure I will keep up the word of mouth and keep it on Kijiji for a while, but I am not putting in an effort and dropping the price so low that it is stupid. Good luck.

Misfit

Reaction score
I hear ya Misfit. I have an 03 GMC 2500HD I would like to sell. The perk I am in is it is not my daily driver and I only use it for toy hauling or working at my dads place. I figure I will keep up the word of mouth and keep it on Kijiji for a while, but I am not putting in an effort and dropping the price so low that it is stupid. Good luck.

A dealership just offered me $5,500.00 on trade for an 04 f150. FACEPALM!:rant::mad:

Misfit

Reaction score
Ouch, when we went to buy the wifes car last week, I asked how much for mine trade in. $6500. Sounds like at least the guys I went to offered some lube...

Hahaha these guys are not doing anything to ease the stereotype of greasy used car sales man. I like to picture them in a suite that looks like a couch from the 70's, a combover, and a stach that would make Ron Burgendy proud.

Top Bottom