Seized rave valve

660canuck

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Summit 583 that I picked up a few weeks ago. Though I would clean it up a bit, started with the carbs and stuff. I went to clean the rave valves but they are completely stuck. I tried soaking them with penetrating fluid, but haven't had any luck. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get them out without doing any damage?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slide hammer with vise grip attachment. If you dont have the tool then pull the head and tap it out from the inside.

660canuck

Reaction score
Slide hammer worked perfect, man were they ever stuck! What kind of clearance should these rave valves have? I am lightly sanding down the opening to get them to fit back in.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you may have more problems than that if you have to and them down to get them back in. clean them till they are shiny, clean all the deposits in the head, they should slide in without sanding them down. maybe time to take the head off to check. sounds like someone didn't do a lot of maintenance and used cheap oil. :beer:

friggin cheap oil

660canuck

Reaction score
The previous owner definitely didn't clean the rave valves. I have cleaned the valves and polished them up, it is the slot in the cylinder I have been gently sanding. I'll keep going until they slide in easily. Any opinions on a rave valve friendly oil?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The previous owner definitely didn't clean the rave valves. I have cleaned the valves and polished them up, it is the slot in the cylinder I have been gently sanding. I'll keep going until they slide in easily. Any opinions on a rave valve friendly oil?

most of the oils are fine, maintenance is the key. Use carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner and it will take that stuck on stuff right off, no sanding.

Unless you are sanding it perfectly flat, you are risking some uneven wear on the rave valves etc. Use throttle body cleaner and no sandpaper IMO.

Top Bottom