Seem to be problem with 800 r maybe ?

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally finish tear down on my 2010 ,800r piston locate pin dislodged stuck under the ring, crack the cylinder below the port; hear threw grape vine this this is common problem not to happy about it have feeling that Martins isn't going help at all on this I also sent a thread to BRP about and how I concern my Son 2012 summit will come to same faith like mind with under 3000k.m

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never heard it being an issue.
You can't expect the manufacturers to warranty a motor that's out of the warranty window..

You just had some bad luck is all. Find a new monoblock, and fix er up.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I read some where that when the pin comes out thats a sign out detonation do to to low of octane? I could be wrong though. Did you maybe fill up at a gas station that doesn't have much premium sales and had stale gas? That's just a thought!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I read some where that when the pin comes out thats a sign out detonation do to to low of octane? I could be wrong though. Did you maybe fill up at a gas station that doesn't have much premium sales and had stale gas? That's just a thought!

That is a contributing factor for sure to early locate pin failure. Here's hoping for him but I don't think he is going to get anything. It depends how long off warranty he is probably. :shrug::shrug:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally finish tear down on my 2010 ,800r piston locate pin dislodged stuck under the ring, crack the cylinder below the port; hear threw grape vine this this is common problem not to happy about it have feeling that Martins isn't going help at all on this I also sent a thread to BRP about and how I concern my Son 2012 summit will come to same faith like mind with under 3000k.m

your sons 2012 will be fine. BRP is running a new piston since 2011 becuase of the pin dislodging on a few isolated sleds.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your sons 2012 will be fine. BRP is running a new piston since 2011 becuase of the pin dislodging on a few isolated sleds.
They can update the piston's all they want ,but bad fuel will win every time so RUN BETTER FUEL .My buddy has a 04 rev 800 the ones with flaking rings over 8000km and it's still got 148 psi per cyl .A little Av goes along way.Cheers

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can update the piston's all they want ,but bad fuel will win every time so RUN BETTER FUEL .My buddy has a 04 rev 800 the ones with flaking rings over 8000km and it's still got 148 psi per cyl .A little Av goes along way.Cheers

absolutely. but as far as there being a design flaw for his 2012 that is not so. even in 2010 there was not.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
absolutely. but as far as there being a design flaw for his 2012 that is not so. even in 2010 there was not.

That's funny, a guy I ride with has a 12 Doo Doo summit and it turned the ring. HE Was told by DEALER there is a problem with them but BRP will warranty it. Dealer said drive it until it blows LOL. Good on BRP for warranting it but we still ended up wasting a day pulling it out of lionshead. MaXi you better check the recalls/servicebullitins

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's funny, a guy I ride with has a 12 Doo Doo summit and it turned the ring. HE Was told by DEALER there is a problem with them but BRP will warranty it. Dealer said drive it until it blows LOL. Good on BRP for warranting it but we still ended up wasting a day pulling it out of lionshead. MaXi you better check the recalls/servicebullitins

i have. 2011 there was a full recall on ALL 2011 summit pistons. 2012 there was not as they had time to change the piston design before production. your dealer is mistaken. granted failures will still happen here and there. the joys of 2 strokes.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have. 2011 there was a full recall on ALL 2011 summit pistons. 2012 there was not as they had time to change the piston design before production. your dealer is mistaken. granted failures will still happen here and there. the joys of 2 strokes.

Interesting. I will talk with the dealer and see if I can get a look at the recall/service bulletin.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For how cheap and easy pistons are to do, I dont understand why guys dont just replace them more often. I usually change mine out every season or two depending on how hard of a season it was. Probably overkill, but cheap insurance for $300.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a recall on all 2011 etec 800's? As far as I know you could take it in anytime to get it done.

ya sorry i forget there are other snowmobliles LOL. but ya you could take it in up to 2500km. by the time the recall came out some already had far more km than that so it worked out good.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ya sorry i forget there are other snowmobliles LOL. but ya you could take it in up to 2500km. by the time the recall came out some already had far more km than that so it worked out good.

Yep, thats what my cousin did with his renegade.....got about 2000 km's on it before the rebuild..... great deal!

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2010 had the original 800r pooped the bed something fierce @ around 3000k, replaced under warranty, then at around 1900km on new short block had pin failure, seems to have crept in a bit or somehow worn as opposed to traveling out and ring spun..... no warranty. I run premium and doo semi synthetic, so not sure what really happened, decided to try spx pistons.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2010 had the original 800r pooped the bed something fierce @ around 3000k, replaced under warranty, then at around 1900km on new short block had pin failure, seems to have crept in a bit or somehow worn as opposed to traveling out and ring spun..... no warranty. I run premium and doo semi synthetic, so not sure what really happened, decided to try spx pistons.

No you are wrong!!!!!!!! BRP did not have any problems what so ever cuz maxwell said so!!!!

just joking!!!

On another note, Powderchowder's 2012 Etec had the reeds break 2 weeks ago on a trail ride. sled would only run on 1 cylinder. We were pretty happy we were not in chopper country!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No you are wrong!!!!!!!! BRP did not have any problems what so ever cuz maxwell said so!!!!

just joking!!!

On another note, Powderchowder's 2012 Etec had the reeds break 2 weeks ago on a trail ride. sled would only run on 1 cylinder. We were pretty happy we were not in chopper country!

these are 2 stroke motors. with thousands of them out there problem or not some are going to fail its the way it goes. what im telling you is there was no recall or design flaw in 2010. only 2011

Top Bottom