security devices

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

A previous thread got me thinking about security devices for our quads......Just wondering what anyone is using to lock their toys up??

I would like something for the back of the truck or to lock up to the trailer???

any ideas other then big bulky chains that can be cut with bolt cuters...

Thanks

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
locks only keep the honest people out. if they want it they will take it no matter how big the chain is. i use a 5/8 steel braid cable lock, and also have a big bulky chain on the machines that are parked for a long time. it sucks that we have to go through such measures and they keep steelin our stuff. they cut the chain on my rhino that went through the rear bumper and rear wheel and pushed our old rhino with a flat tire out of the way and went off with my rhino. there is a device i seen thats steel and mounts from the ball on the quad to the ball on the truck, but again a 3/8 cordless drill and a 1/4 bit will drill the lock out in 5 seconds.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Master Lock Python Steel Cable Lock. Get a couple of them and join them with a big lock if you need more than 6 feet of cable. Might slow thieves down so you can catch them and deter them...

mudhunter

Reaction score
I used to pull a fuse on my old 4runner (left it unlocked, cheaper than a window) I use a braided lock from Goodyear And the other thing if its parked for a while pop a wheel off.(takes 5 min) If they bring one they got all the angles.... Hopefully it'll slow them down..

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I had a long bed truck i made a rig out of square stock that mounted on the reciever of the truck and the hitch of the quad, I'd also run the winch cable back* under the quad to to bar that would snug it up real good.......couldn't get the tail gate down unless you had the winch un spooled which isn't easy to do under load with no power.It always worked for me till you have to carry* more than one quad......my buddy still uses it and has never had issue other than a few cut locks....but still had the quad in the morning.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I had a long bed truck i made a rig out of square stock that mounted on the reciever of the truck and the hitch of the quad, I'd also run the winch cable back* under the quad to to bar that would snug it up real good.......couldn't get the tail gate down unless you had the winch un spooled which isn't easy to do under load with no power.It always worked for me till you have to carry* more than one quad......my buddy still uses it and has never had issue other than a few cut locks....but still had the quad in the morning.

^^^^^^^^^^^^sounds intresting

:nopics:

MUDISFUN

Reaction score

I've seen something like this, the guy didn't even have to strap his quad down to travel. Great idea! :cool:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love to see a picture of that

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is NOTHING that will stop a thief if they want your machine, so your goal is to force them to make as much noice as possible and to spend a lot of time to get the machine. Park the machines between your truck and trailer tire to tire is always a deterrent. Dont try to hide the machines because that just makes them harder for you to check up on during the night if you hear something(I'm which case a good SKS or a tire iron will come in handy)

As for the whinch to the tail gate idea it will work as long as the thief doesn't have bolt cutters, a basic hot wire knowledge.

My personal favorite is to just buy insurance. If you are willing to spend 5000+ on a machine you may as well pay for insurance. The insurance company will give you more than the machine is worth anyways.

05Cummins

Reaction score
When in my shop at home I have four chains lag bolted (chain welded to bolts) to the floor that i loop around the frame and padlock with the anti cut sleeve then three go thru the wheels or around a arms.
Then I park our valtra tractor infront of it with the loader over the machine (not hanging in the air but the bucket tlited forward on the ground quad in the gap).

In the pickup I have some heavy heavy chain that goes thru a hole in my box wraps around the 5th wheel mounts and frame then back up to the quad frame.

I made sure to make it really tough so bolt cutters are really hard to get in there.

Then I have a very loud car alarm siren rigged up with a piece of fishing ling on a pull ring.

so if they manage to get it moved 2'' it trips the siren.

I live 1/2 mile from a native reserve and 1 mile from a huterite colony and 2 miles from another colony with bored teenage boys that steel to pass time.

If its not bolted down it goes missing around here so we try and make it as hard as possible ofcourse if they want it bad enough they will get it.

We just try to stop the crimes of easy opertunity.

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
Love to see a picture of that

Something like this Something like this.jpg
The one I saw was one solid piece though.

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
There is NOTHING that will stop a thief if they want your machine, so your goal is to force them to make as much noice as possible and to spend a lot of time to get the machine. Park the machines between your truck and trailer tire to tire is always a deterrent. Dont try to hide the machines because that just makes them harder for you to check up on during the night if you hear something(I'm which case a good SKS or a tire iron will come in handy)

As for the whinch to the tail gate idea it will work as long as the thief doesn't have bolt cutters, a basic hot wire knowledge.

My personal favorite is to just buy insurance. If you are willing to spend 5000+ on a machine you may as well pay for insurance. The insurance company will give you more than the machine is worth anyways.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure we all put insurance on our machines, the problem with insurance is when are they going to pay you. A buddy had his machine stolen out of the back of his truck (cut the logging chain) in June, the friggin insurance company didn't pay him out till October. So the thief took his machine, and the insurance company pissed around long enough to take his season. At least they paid him out, but we had a pretty bitter buddy on our hands that summer. So I'm all for whatever will detour the low life, bottom feeding, scum sucking thieves, that will help them selves to something that isn't there's.

BowDriks

Reaction score
Hello all,

A previous thread got me thinking about security devices for our quads......Just wondering what anyone is using to lock their toys up??

I would like something for the back of the truck or to lock up to the trailer???

any ideas other then big bulky chains that can be cut with bolt cuters...

Thanks
Go on the WWW.Superclamp.net and look at the new ATV Tiedown System which is coming out shortly. The ATV TieDown System holds you ATV/UTV securely and is lockable with a paddlelock. It's a cool looking tiedown system making your loading of ATV happen in seconds, rather than pain staking, etc, minutes, when using tie straps or anything other that the ATV Superclamp. The molds are being completed as we speak and the ATV/UTV Superclamp will be to market shortly.

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
Go on the SuperClamp.Net: The Industries Leading Snowmobile Tie-Down and look at the new ATV Tiedown System which is coming out shortly. The ATV TieDown System holds you ATV/UTV securely and is lockable with a paddlelock. It's a cool looking tiedown system making your loading of ATV happen in seconds, rather than pain staking, etc, minutes, when using tie straps or anything other that the ATV Superclamp. The molds are being completed as we speak and the ATV/UTV Superclamp will be to market shortly.

Looks pretty slick. I wonder what they are going to be worth?

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go on the SuperClamp.Net: The Industries Leading Snowmobile Tie-Down and look at the new ATV Tiedown System which is coming out shortly. The ATV TieDown System holds you ATV/UTV securely and is lockable with a paddlelock. It's a cool looking tiedown system making your loading of ATV happen in seconds, rather than pain staking, etc, minutes, when using tie straps or anything other that the ATV Superclamp. The molds are being completed as we speak and the ATV/UTV Superclamp will be to market shortly.

Now thats cool!!! Thanks,

Top Bottom