Security cameras

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
Anybody have any recommendations on a security camera set up? I mostly want something that is motion sensing and can alert me when someone is in my vehicles or yard. We have been having lots of things going missing lately.

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
The neighbour has cameras but they don't alert him when the thieves are out. It's the same guys about once a week they spend a couple hours on our street. They made off with about 5k worth of my stuff Tuesday morning

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not posting what I am running for equipment, but will PM you a general idea of what I have :)

I will say that a person should stay away from Foscam camera's as I have had to many to count and everyone has gone back for replacement. Hikvision cameras are a much more durable camera and the north american version can be found on Aliexpress for significantly cheaper then buying them here.

Last edited:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
My neighbour has a low tech system he has those beam breaker door bells like what 7/11 has when you walk through the door they ding. He has them along the fences and gates so if someone walks in his yard it dings in the house he said he was going to wire they into spot lights so when the dinger went off it would turn flood lights on dunno if he did i never talk to him cause he is an a$$hole. He does have the sensors mounted higher so the dog doesn't set it off and the sensor and reflector mounted real far apart 1 has to be at least 45' apart and yes the dinger in the house is on a switch to turn it off

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a god damn shame that we need to do this to keep our stuff from some pile of **** that thinks he can just take it .
A few need to be shot when they are caught with there hand in the cookie jar .

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you set up cameras, maybe set up a few leg hold traps as well. If you catch one, just a little something to amuse your family and friends.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I just read on another forum that for your camera footage to be admissible in court, you have to have signs stating that your property is under video surveillance. True? Dunno. But, that's what I read.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a god damn shame that we need to do this to keep our stuff from some pile of **** that thinks he can just take it .
A few need to be shot when they are caught with there hand in the cookie jar .

‘We are all in shock’: 22-year-old man fatally shot in farmyard, 54-year-old man charged with murder | Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Hard to tell if this situation is relevant to your statement. Media and police are more interested in disseminating politics than facts so we are all left in the dark.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am still looking at getting cameras that record and can be seen on a smart phone or tablet.

I have looked at Costco for around 500.00 but not sure of quality.

Yes you need signs on your yard saying video surveillance.

Guy 2 doors down paid 1800.00 and has a really nice 4 camera setup.

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canada has got to the point if anyone wants to rob you or bust into your home or even rap your wife or daughter you can't do anything . Cops and the courts want us to watch and not do a thing or we will be charged .
We can't defend or homes or stuff . What a stupid bunch of laws . It's all to protect the crooks , insurance only pays back a percentage of what your loss is . The hard worker is at the short end of the stick again . You hit a B&E crook in your house and you can get charged .
How the hell is this right . Wish some of these law makers could experience the fear of a violent B&E .

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys. I ended up just setting up a motion sensor that lets me know when someone comes into the driveway. Gonna try this for awhile and see how it works.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am still looking at getting cameras that record and can be seen on a smart phone or tablet.

I have looked at Costco for around 500.00 but not sure of quality.

Yes you need signs on your yard saying video surveillance.

Guy 2 doors down paid 1800.00 and has a really nice 4 camera setup.

Lately we have been looking to do this as well. Adding cameras to our security system is expensive, $400 USD per camera. See all kinds of systems on Amazon.ca, but don't want to waste money on something that is going to be useless.

SRXtreme

Reaction score
I am using "Defender" cameras and HDD purchased from best buy. The cameras are "wireless" video feed but you still need AC to power them. I found the wireless part very weak I had to buy some cable to run the antennas closer to the base station. The video quality is amazing though, not like typical CCTV. The police were impressed with the quality of video too. The system can be set for motion sensing too. When connected to your home internet it can also send notification to your phone and you can watch live video feed............SRXtreme

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a Swann 1080p 4 camera Smart 1 TB DVR Surveillance System a couple months ago to monitor my new Nelson property. It was on for $399 at Best Buy. I decided to go with this system as it is all wired and I did not want to deal with replacing batteries in the cameras. The system is bandwidth greedy and will need to upgrade to the internet as it is currently Shaw 30. It does work well but the Swannview remote software could use an upgrade due to some tools not working but overall its acceptable.

It does send me emails for motion detection or if things fail and I have always been able to re-establish the connection remotely. I can also see the cameras on my I-phone. I added 2 extra cameras (lower resolution) that I found at Princess Auto. Once the internet is upgraded I will be able to run 1080p but right now it is slow when I try that.

Set up was pretty easy but it has taken some time to get things dialed in like i like.

Attachments

• SnipImage.jpg
    SnipImage.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 92

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I also have the Swann system, no complaints, I do not use the connectivity, just set it up to record on the loop, get about 3.5 weeks set at the highest sensitivity.

Top Bottom