Search and rescue epidemic

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kind of surprising that BC hasn't charged for search and rescue yet, they could be making a fortune getting there share.

may need to have insurance to cover costs involved

Last edited:

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like this post mostly for the awareness that the backcountry can be an extremly isolated place. I personally find myself thinking about this alot more this year as we were in Revy the weekend the guy did not make it home. SAR choppers are not flying without visibility was part of an incident years ago where even with GPS coordinates and sat phone chopper had a hard time finding us (younger guy thought he broke his arm or collar bone). If they didnt show he was coming down on someone elses sled after makeshift sling or brace. Ive always felt that it is your responsibility to get yourself in and out of the hills understanding in an extreme case broken femur or back your probably camping out until its clear enough for a chopper. I remember when I first started sledding followed a group of guys into Millage on an awesome blue sky day halfway throught the day it socked in as bad as I can remember not one guy had a clue how to get out and we were not prepared to say the least. Ever since that day ive been more dilligent on where I am, what I bring and what we are dropping into. The pack and all the gear that comes with us now is crazy heavy but necessary. Who you ride with and there skills will be what gets you home in most situations. We have all seen the guy in the hills usually the one that rips bye you on the trail newly wrapped sled no backpack, tools, extra gas to be found....make better choices so we can all make it home safe.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this post reminded of a situation Halloween night when my 16 year daughter convinced us to allow her to have an outdoor party. We have a big fire pit area with music etc etc. Anyway, not to derail from original post, the kids could not light a fire (even with dry / split wood) or keep fire going. I asked the boys if they went to Boy Scouts and one kid popped up and said that Boy Scouts is "gay". My answer to him if front of the girls he was chasing was "not being able to start a fire is gay". I did not mean to embarrass him as they all laughed but I was shocked that they could not get the fire going. Sad.

i have said for years it should be mandatory to complete a back country survival course to access any back country terrain. Guys sure know how to drink beers but how many can actually light a fire. Lol. Saw and hatchet are mandatory whether I'm in snow or atv. if not able to keep warm from fire at least hope it will be seen!! Again hopefully won't ever be in situation.

geo

Reaction score
this post reminded of a situation Halloween night when my 16 year daughter convinced us to allow her to have an outdoor party. We have a big fire pit area with music etc etc. Anyway, not to derail from original post, the kids could not light a fire (even with dry / split wood) or keep fire going. I asked the boys if they went to Boy Scouts and one kid popped up and said that Boy Scouts is "gay". My answer to him if front of the girls he was chasing was "not being able to start a fire is gay". I did not mean to embarrass him as they all laughed but I was shocked that they could not get the fire going. Sad.

"Children" in the ol' days, got a badge after they started a fire with a water logged log, pen knife and a single match.
They got another badge for boiling water in a paper cup after starting the fire. That was first year boy scouts.

In second year boy scouts, "children" learned engineering and got badges for rope bridges, or learning to build a tri-pod and pulley system from the trees. Anyone ever wish they had a tripod and pulley to get one of the sleds out of a creek hole? There is always one near by.

"Children" today complain "there's no cell service" when they google "how to start a fire".

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These dumb asses made it up 2KM on the snowmobile trail before getting stuck. At least they managed to get unstuck on their own. Hopefully they won't breed.

10265598_10205313703113416_7776761612444676199_o.jpg

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everybody has a different risk tolerance. Many of the most talented sledders have a very high risk tolerance. Getting lost on a snowmobile after dark with only a Topo Map and being cold with no fire as a kid taught me a few things that changed the way I ride 38 years later. The question is how do you get across to inexperienced riders the importance of being prepared with out infringing on their freedoms. Everybody has there own opinion on survival gear. If you were to incorporate all the great suggestions in this forum you would need a snow cat to head out. I carry a GPS and a source of fire. To many this is irresponsible. Some choose to ride alone. This is something I would love to do, but I am not comfortable with the risk. If they are not endangering others. Who are we to expect others to abide by our rules?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everybody has a different risk tolerance. Many of the most talented sledders have a very high risk tolerance. Getting lost on a snowmobile after dark with only a Topo Map and being cold with no fire as a kid taught me a few things that changed the way I ride 38 years later. The question is how do you get across to inexperienced riders the importance of being prepared with out infringing on their freedoms. Everybody has there own opinion on survival gear. If you were to incorporate all the great suggestions in this forum you would need a snow cat to head out. I carry a GPS and a source of fire. To many this is irresponsible. Some choose to ride alone. This is something I would love to do, but I am not comfortable with the risk. If they are not endangering others. Who are we to expect others to abide by our rules?

Its not about "our" rules, its about the backcountry rules/code. This thread isn't about one person in particular, its about the choices people make in the backcountry. Far too many times I have had to help unprepared riders in bad situations and far too many times on here we've had similar stories. Never expect salvation. Mountains block cell signals, sometimes satellite tracks are too far, even if they can get a call out, choppers might not be able to fly. What if your batteries in the GPS die? Never rely on technology.

Its been said 50 times, too much HP and traction, not nearly enough skill and what happens is you get wayyy too much inexperience wayyy too far back in the backcountry. Sorry, its tough love folks, but the backcountry won't care about you personally, your family or friends. Mother Nature is a cruel bitch. Be prepared to accept that fact and come prepared......or be prepared to die as a consequence of your actions and possibly cavalier attitude.

Many times these days, people need to be far more humble than pompous, but sadly that is not the case in our iPhone/youtube hero culture, as one poster already mentioned. Look at these forums, almost everyone says they are "experienced" (too scared to admit otherwise), but most can't start a fire and wouldn't have a clue how to self winch their sled out of a tree well, etc etc. Do you know how to boil water in a plastic bottle? When I see "experienced" on these forums, I immediately assume they've been riding less than 5 seasons. People need to have some humility and recognize that its OK to NOT know everything, half the fun is in learning.

Top Bottom