Search and rescue epidemic

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The seat will smoulder for a long time if you need an attention getter. Last resort, I'll burn my sled.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This right here, another stupid post by a stupid man, where was mention of ambulance and fire department to save his family if in a car accident? Hes talking search and rescue not highway helpers

Sent from my iPhone because who uses a computer anymore

I quote " I really wish there wasn't search and rescue. You live with your own decisions and die by them."all I was saying is I don't believe that if someone makes a mistake on the mountian you don't deserve to get any help from any search and rescue. It's no different then driving a car, there's drivers that make mistakes and end up in trouble or in need of help. Do you feel they should get help too?? it's no different. These are volunteers that don't discriminate on how experienced you are what mistake you made, yes it gets frustrating at times when it's over a silly mistake, but they just want to get you back to your family safe. Just remember this stupid man might be the one called out to help you in a time of need.

Last edited:

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year and this year has been insane for the amount of lost sledders. Wtf is wrong with people. Do they not see risk. I have been mountain riding forever and never been close to spending the night. That happens to idiots imo. The decisions your making through the day will determine whether you go home. Plain and simple. As the day light runs out you should be well on your way out. No more playing or exploring. The back country will be closed and We will be stuck in little riding parks if this keeps up. Big brother will make sure even the stupid come home. Funny how mister big sledders that know it all are the first to break into tears and when they realize they are spending the night. Is dropping into those trees at 1:30 in dec worth risking a night on the hill. I really wish there wasn't search and rescue. You live with your own decisions and die by them. Mountain sledders should be taught by experienced riders how to be safe and how to come home. Buying a skidoo xm doesn't make you a back country rider.

Rant over

Wow Drew! Pretty easy to condemn someone else "to die by your own decisions"! I can only imagine just how frickin' arrogant you must be to have such utter and complete confidence that NOTHING will ever go wrong in your sledding career with potentially tragic consequences. I only hope you give your loved ones a real big hug and a kiss before each time you head out knowing that this is the attitude you have and wish to promote. Trust me you will definitely change your tune and become much more grateful for S&R if/when it's your turn to get rescued!
I do agree that all of us need to be more accountable, equipped, and knowledgeable when venturing into the back country. Calling 911 and asking for help is NOT the same as pressing the reset button on your PS3... S&R people put their lives at risk to bring those who made a wrong decision at one time in their lives (me included!) back to their families. I am eternally grateful for that! I hope that some day you do not need to experience this first hand and that your preparation and luck continue to serve you well. In the mean time lets all help each other to learn how to be better backcountry riders...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow Drew! Pretty easy to condemn someone else "to die by your own decisions"! I can only imagine just how frickin' arrogant you must be to have such utter and complete confidence that NOTHING will ever go wrong in your sledding career with potentially tragic consequences. I only hope you give your loved ones a real big hug and a kiss before each time you head out knowing that this is the attitude you have and wish to promote. Trust me you will definitely change your tune and become much more grateful for S&R if/when it's your turn to get rescued! I do agree that all of us need to be more accountable, equipped, and knowledgeable when venturing into the back country. Calling 911 and asking for help is NOT the same as pressing the reset button on your PS3... S&R people put their lives at risk to bring those who made a wrong decision at one time in their lives (me included!) back to their families. I am eternally grateful for that! I hope that some day you do not need to experience this first hand and that your preparation and luck continue to serve you well. In the mean time lets all help each other to learn how to be better backcountry riders...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry it reads harsher than I wanted. Most seem to get the point. Deciding on a Big Mac over a quarter pounder is simple. Navigating the mountains requires a serious frame of mind. You can die from those decisions. Ride like there's no search and rescue and the sport will live on. Search and rescues 50 times per year and we will be in play parks. With a sign in and gps tracker given to each Sledder to keep us safe from ourselves and monitored.

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
search and rescue is necessary but a lot of risk factors have not been mitigated for them to be called into play. ever person in the back-country should be mitigating risk. communication is key between group members and outside people as well who knows where you have went and when you will arrive back
how long do you ride between having a group meeting what type of communication systems and navigation systems are in your group and does one person in the group have the ability to call in outside help ..... all of these items should be considered

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So enlighten us ol' magical one!

hopefully this is the enlightenment you seek? although I wonder if that is the path your on?"

In my experience, it is near impossible to gather enough branches to keep a fire going, very few carry a hatchet, or a saw. thus are left only being able to gather what they can beak off a green tree. bows and small branches burn very quickly. green wood is very difficult to burn and keep burning, so to get enough wood to keep fire burning, you will be moving as quickly as you can. from tree to fire.
In waist high snow or better you will be sweating profusely. sweat is your mortal enemy in winter!!!! if you have been around a campfire in the late fall or in winter, you can never really get warm, and sled gear is highly flammable, so you still need to be far away. in a survival situation, In my opinion you are better off in a snow cave/quinzee or utilize the palmer furnace method. way less work, you are out of the weather, conserving energy. for some reason when you have to get a fire going it becomes impossible. If your circumstances enable a fire, do It! I prefer to have alternatives on me, so I don't need to rely on a fire!

I would suggest trying things out, before you find yourself in this situation, as it is easy to find out what works now rather than later.:twocents:

Last edited:

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well in my experience, it is near impossible to gather enough branches to keep a fire going, very few carry a hatchet, or a saw. thus are left only being able to gather what they can beak off a green tree. bows and small branches burn very quickly. green wood is very difficult to burn and keep burning, so to get enough wood to keep fire burning, you will be moving as quickly as you can. from tree fire. in waist high snow or better you will be sweating profusely. sweat is your mortal enemy in winter!!!! if you have been around a campfire in the late fall or in winter, you can never really get warm, and sled gear is highly flammable, so you still need to be far away. in a survival situation, In my opinion you are better off in a snow cave/quinzee or utilize the palmer furnace method.

does this give you the enlightening you require?

I would suggest trying things out, before you find yourself in this situation, as it is easy to find out what works now rather than later.

i have said for years it should be mandatory to complete a back country survival course to access any back country terrain. Guys sure know how to drink beers but how many can actually light a fire. Lol. Saw and hatchet are mandatory whether I'm in snow or atv. if not able to keep warm from fire at least hope it will be seen!! Again hopefully won't ever be in situation.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dam whiteouts been there at least a dozen times, I can still navigate if visibility is 200 yards or more. Went of 20 foot cliffs in the mountains trying to get out, I knew I was in the air... just how big. 3 times they where so bad you could hardly see the end of your sled... where the f are we...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
each and every situation will be different. in 3 ft of snow t will be easier that in 6ft or more, a few simple easy to carry items may be the difference between life and death. I have been lost a few times, have not been out overnight! but in some down right dangerous temperatures. falling snow, getting stuck, falling into creek or lake, sweating are quick ways to freeze to death. you need to get dried out in a hurry. interesting what most carry, couple beer, maybe a paper matchbook, mostly nothing. with just a few items you might make It overnight, with a few more maybe a few days? most don't even have any avi training or gear either. all they hear is epic powder, deep snow, etc etc. :twocents:

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I was in the creek last weekend, even had a fish inside my sled when I got it out. Talk about frozen stiff legs in could hardly straighten them by the time we got to the trucks

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really fear we will see more and more incidents and accidents out in the backcountry, so many riders are so concerned with with their go pros and selfie sticks and now even drones that they will just keep pushing the envelope to get a better vid of themselves than the last guy.
So many watch these vids and see the magazine shots and think that they can do that **** too. I hate the vanity epidemic that is plaguing this sport!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really fear we will see more and more incidents and accidents out in the backcountry, so many riders are so concerned with with their go pros and selfie sticks and now even drones that they will just keep pushing the envelope to get a better vid of themselves than the last guy.
So many watch these vids and see the magazine shots and think that they can do that **** too. I hate the vanity epidemic that is plaguing this sport!

You worded that so much better than I did :)

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully this is the enlightenment you seek? although I wonder if that is the path your on?"

In my experience, it is near impossible to gather enough branches to keep a fire going, very few carry a hatchet, or a saw. thus are left only being able to gather what they can beak off a green tree. bows and small branches burn very quickly. green wood is very difficult to burn and keep burning, so to get enough wood to keep fire burning, you will be moving as quickly as you can. from tree to fire.
In waist high snow or better you will be sweating profusely. sweat is your mortal enemy in winter!!!! if you have been around a campfire in the late fall or in winter, you can never really get warm, and sled gear is highly flammable, so you still need to be far away. in a survival situation, In my opinion you are better off in a snow cave/quinzee or utilize the palmer furnace method. way less work, you are out of the weather, conserving energy. for some reason when you have to get a fire going it becomes impossible. If your circumstances enable a fire, do It! I prefer to have alternatives on me, so I don't need to rely on a fire!

I would suggest trying things out, before you find yourself in this situation, as it is easy to find out what works now rather than later.:twocents:

you can get an avalanche shovel with a saw in the handle. You canalso buy folding saws that weigh almost nothing and cost under 10$. That is what I carry. Would never go into the back country without one as I have chopped many trees getting unstuck.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spend a couple days and nights in early winter with the survival gear you have in your bag to test its effectiveness to get you through a couple nights on a mountain. You will learn a lot about what you want versus what you will need.
Little smoky fires in a snow bank cannot compare to being under a shelter tarp drinking hot sweet tea and eating chilli that you cooked on your little butane stove whilst curled up in your bivy bag. Just sayin...

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can get an avalanche shovel with a saw in the handle. You canalso buy folding saws that weigh almost nothing and cost under 10$. That is what I carry. Would never go into the back country without one as I have chopped many trees getting unstuck.

I carry both. The shovel with the saw in the handle is held in by a rivet into plastic and I have seen enough of those break, I won't bet my life on it.
The other thing we should consider carrying is a hand powered chain saw (hope I called it the right name). Very compact and will cut decent sized branches and even smaller trees if need be.

As far as the rest of the thread, I'm very fortunate to have learned from some very experienced riders who have been through many different situations and are very prepared. I made myself as prepared as they are because if the crap really hits the fan, I don't want to be the weak link and let the group down. At the same time, I occasionally ride with some other people who haven't had the luxury of learning from some of the best, or just really don't give a chit and don't realize how quick things can go bad. Those are the ones I believe the OP is talking about.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing I always take that has saved my group more than once is simply a good GPS and extra batteries, plain and simple....Even in white out conditions or fog, I just follow my track back out and find the truck every time.I also mark special spots along the way (shelters,cabins, play area's, important intersections etc)so if the weather does change suddenly, I can find some place to get out of the storm.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. Add- Frequent stops to makes everyone is still with the group.
Couple years ago up at Sicamous we got hit with heavy thick fog. Had to come back across Skinny Ridge to the cabin with 9 sleds back tracking with my GPS.
The one thing I always take that has saved my group more than once is simply a good GPS and extra batteries, plain and simple....Even in white out conditions or fog, I just follow my track back out and find the truck every time.I also mark special spots along the way (shelters,cabins, play area's, important intersections etc)so if the weather does change suddenly, I can find some place to get out of the storm.

Top Bottom