seadoo boat vs traditional boat

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking for some imput, i just bought a traditional boat, have had 1 seadoo boat and many traditional boats, and some jetski/seadoo's.

a friend of mine wants to buy a new seadoo boat, nothing crazy just a new 16 footer, and i am trying to talk him out of it, until he said think about how much fun they can be, and it brought back memories of how i used to beat mine, and really never had to worry about depth, way lighter to tow, just as hard on fuel, fast, but have to be careful in rough water!!!!!:nono:

in short, which way would you go? just looking for some different opinions.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id get the new Seadoo challenger wake(i think) its only got (2) 215HP super charged motors totaling 439 HP and the Limited edition has the twin 255hp motors making 510hp. I personally like these boat alot but it all depends on what you want to do with the boat.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i think it started in 04 or 05 for the closed loop system. I have a 07 GTI and its nice to now have to flush it after riding in a salty lake. Just rinse and go. PLus i think the new once are really reliable and the way things are going, everything is gonna have to e 4 stroke sooner or later so why not buy a 4 stoke now. Just my thought, dont get me wrong, a nice conventional boat is really good too, but the motors are stupidly priced in my mine, but what hobby isnt.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with catzuki, it depends on what your buddy wants to do with it. Personally i'm not a huge fan cause i'm a boarder, they don't track well, and although high horsepower have a tough time pulling less experienced riders out of the water. Even the so called wake boats don't throw much of a wake. If he wants something to submarine and spin donuts on then they are perfect for that, JUST NOT ON MY GLASSY WATER WE'RE TRYING TO RIDE:rant::rant:

Sorry about the capps i've had two experiences this week with a pair of sea-dooers' at the lake that i'm definately NOT impressed with. I'm not throwing all sea-dooers in this group but there's always a couple bad apples in the group to ruin it for everyone.:mad:This is a whole other thread.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with catzuki, it depends on what your buddy wants to do with it. Personally i'm not a huge fan cause i'm a boarder, they don't track well, and although high horsepower have a tough time pulling less experienced riders out of the water. Even the so called wake boats don't throw much of a wake. If he wants something to submarine and spin donuts on then they are perfect for that, JUST NOT ON MY GLASSY WATER WE'RE TRYING TO RIDE:rant::rant:

Sorry about the capps i've had two experiences this week with a pair of sea-dooers' at the lake that i'm definately NOT impressed with. I'm not throwing all sea-dooers in this group but there's always a couple bad apples in the group to ruin it for everyone.:mad:This is a whole other thread.

Ummm.... glass... brings back fond memories, and it's been way too long :D

tekim

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummm.... glass... brings back fond memories, and it's been way too long :D

tekim

A day (or a few hours) of glass on the lake is like 5 feet fresh snow with a Blue bird.
hard to find those days/. only a few every season.

hey Tekim if ya ever in Cow town I will take ya for a pull!

as said earlier Jeremy, all depends on what he wants to do with it, just let him know burning donuts and ripp n around gets kinda boring pretty quick, so if he wants to bring some people out and enjoy the bigger boat might be better,

SnowBunny25

Reaction score

What were the two experiences this week with Sea-Dooer's and at what lake??? I also had a wake boat plow me a few weeks ago becuase he pulled a U turn and wasn't watching out for me. It was the scarriest thing I have experienced in a long time.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most recent experience was last Teusday on a lake just west of Stony Plain. There was a couple young guy's that firstly thought it was ok to park there truck off to the side of the launch with the tunes playing and a half sack of beer on the picnic table in plain site. They were riding a couple Kawasaki jet ski's maybe 400 yards off the boat lauch probably half snapped from drinking. Anyway the instance came later in the evening when i had to pick a buddy up from the dock, we were coming in super slow and this idiot was sitting backward on the jet ski doing donuts not paying attention to nothing around him again close to the dock. At one point i even put the boat in neutral as i didn't know which way he was going to go, after noticing he didn't see me i started to honk my horn, after a few second he hears me flips me the bird like i did something wrong and tears away behind us:rant:

If it wasn't my truck and trailer in the parking log i would make this little puke eat his own teeth:rant:.....dumb F'ers. I get soo frustrated, it's a big enough lake that we can all have fun and now one needs to get hurt!!! Rant over.

On a happier note i will be heading to some real lakes in BC, leaving on Friday for 2 weeks, will be riding Shuswap, Kalmalka, wood, and Mabel. Can't wait.:d

Cruizer

Reaction score
After owning the little seadoos, to the Speedsters, I can honestly say now that this under 16' class is a true waste of time and money. Yeah they turn on dime, but that gets really old after a short time. I've got a 18' 454 Cougar berkeley 500 hp jet boat now, it too becomes really old, and boring.

Whoop de do, you can go fast and throw a rooster tail. It's loud and disturbing even to me now.

I think a nice open bow prop driven cruiser is the best. You can tow the stuff for the kids, ski with it, go fishing if you want, or simply go out onto the water, shut it off and take in the day relaxing.:d

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After owning the little seadoos, to the Speedsters, I can honestly say now that this under 16' class is a true waste of time and money. Yeah they turn on dime, but that gets really old after a short time. I've got a 18' 454 Cougar berkeley 500 hp jet boat now, it too becomes really old, and boring.

Whoop de do, you can go fast and throw a rooster tail. It's loud and disturbing even to me now.

I think a nice open bow prop driven cruiser is the best. You can tow the stuff for the kids, ski with it, go fishing if you want, or simply go out onto the water, shut it off and take in the day relaxing.:d
you need to take the little jet boats up some small creeks, thats where things get fun......Dam things are heavy when you get stuck though...

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well he ended up with a speedster, wanted something fun that wouldn't hurt the budget to buy a new sled this year. THING IS FUN!!! keeps right up to my 268 hp v8 so that impressed me!!! maybe i could buy one too and have the fourwinns for me, and the sea doo for her........

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A day (or a few hours) of glass on the lake is like 5 feet fresh snow with a Blue bird.
hard to find those days/. only a few every season.

hey Tekim if ya ever in Cow town I will take ya for a pull!

as said earlier Jeremy, all depends on what he wants to do with it, just let him know burning donuts and ripp n around gets kinda boring pretty quick, so if he wants to bring some people out and enjoy the bigger boat might be better,

Mmmm.... I just got goose bumps!!:d Will have to make sure I have some work to do down there for, and take some off some "rain days"!!

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there any creeks around here that you can bomb in???

Maybe Strawberry creek around Thorsby area????? Navigating the North Sask. River can be lot's of fun. I have quite a few customers in the Grande Prairie area which is major river boat country and they told me that lots of people carry winches on their boats. Good idea but who would've thought.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe Strawberry creek around Thorsby area????? Navigating the North Sask. River can be lot's of fun. I have quite a few customers in the Grande Prairie area which is major river boat country and they told me that lots of people carry winches on their boats. Good idea but who would've thought.

Lots of guys around here carry those chainsaw winches......work like a charm....

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with cruizer. My donut threshold was about 30. After that it becomes a social outing once in a while, but ends up with someone else gets a great deal on a hardly used machine. Cruizer just described my next boat to a tee, maybe add a trolling motor.

JoeyP

Reaction score
Looking at a 2003 Challenger X. 20 foot. Never owned a boat before. Friend of mine told me to take it out first because they ride a little different. It has a tower and I plan on wakeboarding. Also like to just cruise though too. Noticed it has a low windshield. Is it too low? Has 232 hours. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Top Bottom