Screw piles versus conventional

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Planning on building a patio roof over my deck and I require two piles approximately 16' deep by 12" dia. One contractor has suggected the use of screw piles for this application and I have little or no knowledge:confused: of this piling method, has anyone out there used these and are they a tried and tested method of piling. Any feedback would be appreciated.

How heavy is the roof and how easy is it to access? 12" inch piles seem like twice the diameter you need. if you have limited access you can easily install 6" screw piles to the depth you need with a skid steer. These can be installed in under an hour from set up to finish and will be a very cost effective alternative.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 16 foot deep is over kill, frost only goes to 8-9 feet maximum. On my recent reno which was for foundation piles we only went 8 ft x 12 inch and did it with a bobcat. That only took minutes as long as you dont hit rocks.

You must be farther north in Alberta than me.... :) 4-5 ft frost in south and central, 8 -9 ft frost line down here would mean frozen water lines for most people :D

Top Bottom