Sat Phones 2019

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone using Inmarsat?

Thinking of going with their $55 post paid global plan.
Then I can cancel it after my 6months of sledding.

Last edited:

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone using Inmarsat?

Last year I got into the sat phone game. I looked into the three different brands. I was mostly interested in the Inmarsat and iridium. The Inmarsat company use 3 stationary satellites extremely high on the equator. While I was researching. I found that if your north of 50 degrees. You need a clear view of the southern skies to make a call. They say service is spotty in Canada. The iridium network uses 65 low orbit satellites that are always moving and u can make a call anywhere in the world. The link below is very good and should help with your decision.
I’m on the iridium network and buy the $300 dollar card that last 6 month ($50 a month) it comes with 200 minutes. It kinda Sucks when I forfit 192 minutes in the summer. But im only a seasonal user. If I had some non cell service trips planned in summer I would have kept the service running all year and would have kept those minutes.

https://satellitecommunications.ca/technologies/satellite-phones/

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a used iridium 9555 last year for $750 off eBay. The seller was local in Saskatoon and we have mutual friends.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I got into the sat phone game. I looked into the three different brands. I was mostly interested in the Inmarsat and iridium. The Inmarsat company use 3 stationary satellites extremely high on the equator. While I was researching. I found that if your north of 50 degrees. You need a clear view of the southern skies to make a call. They say service is spotty in Canada. The iridium network uses 65 low orbit satellites that are always moving and u can make a call anywhere in the world. The link below is very good and should help with your decision.
I’m on the iridium network and buy the $300 dollar card that last 6 month ($50 a month) it comes with 200 minutes. It kinda Sucks when I forfit 192 minutes in the summer. But im only a seasonal user. If I had some non cell service trips planned in summer I would have kept the service running all year and would have kept those minutes.

https://satellitecommunications.ca/technologies/satellite-phones/
I am leaning towards Iridium, but the nice thing about Imarsat is once you have a lock you can talk all day as the sattalites are stationary.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a used iridium 9555 last year for $750 off eBay. The seller was local in Saskatoon and we have mutual friends.

There are a bunch of Iridium phones on Kijiji in Calgary for sale right now for $400- $700. I picked one up in October for $500. Most of them came from back country kids camps that are switching over to InReach devices to do their check-ins.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of Iridium phones on Kijiji in Calgary for sale right now for $400- $700. I picked one up in October for $500. Most of them came from back country kids camps that are switching over to InReach devices to do their check-ins.
You have her number she hasn't gotten back to me.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am leaning towards Iridium, but the nice thing about Imarsat is once you have a lock you can talk all day as the sattalites are stationary.

The iridium phones I’m pretty sure jump from sat to sat as different ones come into range. The Inmarsat u might have to get around the mountain to get into the line of site. My thinking was if I’m in a drainage dead tired I might want a to catch a satalite that’s a different direction than south. That was the only reason I did not get the Inmarsat.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone using Inmarsat?

You must have got your “spot” renewal notice too?

Have you tried calling customer service yet to tell them to stick it! I’m not even sure it was worth the half price fee we got last year. Haven’t tried using my phone too many times but it hasn’t worked too good when I was trying to test it.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must have got your “spot” renewal notice too?

Have you tried calling customer service yet to tell them to stick it! I’m not even sure it was worth the half price fee we got last year. Haven’t tried using my phone too many times but it hasn’t worked too good when I was trying to test it.
Yeah just got mine yesterday.
Same deal as you.
Had to do the call in routine.
Got them to drop it to $480 for 1500 min.

Still gonna explore other options.
Getting sick of fighting them every year.

Top Bottom