Salesmen.... how do som of th m keep their jobs?

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Salesmen.... how do some of them keep their jobs?

Believe it or not only a very small percentage of people can actually make a living doing sales. Coming from someone who does professional sales for equipment to the Oil and Gas industry, I have seen tons of people come and go. They just can't handle the rejection, the hours and are not able to know their product like they should, thus dont make the cut.

That being said honestly with all of these dealerships I would expect very few pay and incentivise their team to actually intrigue professional sales people. I know all the keyboard warriors here think they know absolutely everything, but if someone is honestly good at sales, they can make way more than most professions regardless of the industry.

What you are left with is employees who have near zero training, and who walked in and got told to sell.... They don't care about their customers, They don't do their homework, and don't support their product. There's a few exceptions to this (Mom and Pop shops, whose survival depends on it, etc) but is true for the most part.

That being said us being "the customer" are partially to blame. You see it all the time here, "Where can I get things for the cheapest blah blah" very few people actually have any loyalty to their dealerships. Thus doesn't create a need for dealerships to have good sales people.

<end rant>

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I like the old Jimmy Pattison approach . End of the month if you are the bottom sales guy you gone !

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Believe it or not only a very small percentage of people can actually make a living doing sales. Coming from someone who does professional sales for equipment to the Oil and Gas industry, I have seen tons of people come and go. They just can't handle the rejection, the hours and are not able to know their product like they should, thus dont make the cut.

That being said honestly with all of these dealerships I would expect very few pay and incentivise their team to actually intrigue professional sales people. I know all the keyboard warriors here think they know absolutely everything, but if someone is honestly good at sales, they can make way more than most professions regardless of the industry.

What you are left with is employees who have near zero training, and who walked in and got told to sell.... They don't care about their customers, They don't do their homework, and don't support their product. There's a few exceptions to this (Mom and Pop shops, whose survival depends on it, etc) but is true for the most part.

That being said us being "the customer" are partially to blame. You see it all the time here, "Where can I get things for the cheapest blah blah" very few people actually have any loyalty to their dealerships. Thus doesn't create a need for dealerships to have good sales people.

<end rant>

So if the customer wants the best price around he is showing no loyalty to the dealership ?
Hypothetically, imagine a dealership who sells more product because his prices are great , AND they know their stuff and take care of the customer ...
Imagine that ...
The part about a customer being loyal to a dealership ... I think you may have that backwards ..
IMO
Can you expand on if a customer pays " more " at a certain dealership , what benefits does he receive ? How can you quantify that a customer will be treated better at dealership X , because he payed more than dealership Y ? I buy a lot of new machines , most never go back for warranty work the majority of the time ...other than the initial purchase price , what are these so called "relationships "doing for me ?
Parts are about the same in all dealerships , and service is hit and miss in most ....as evidenced by the mixed reviews on just about any power sports dealers ever mentioned on this forum !

Generally after the sale I support aftermarket suppliers who know their products way better than dealerships & are priced at about 30% + less normally ....
I mean this with no offence toward dealerships , but they are a buisness . Their main goal is to make a good profit , and I certainly don't blame them for it .... they are not in buisness to be my buddy / or have a bromance with !
It is interesting to note only one dealership showed up to support the fight over keeping OHV use open in Alberta at the Edmonton rally I have been told ....
Yet these dealerships make millions of $$$, I would personally like them to support the sport more .. than advise me I need to have a relationship with them.
My ten bucks , anyhow ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Price is just a small part of the buying process for most clients. Many of my established customers will go "out to bid/price shopping", to ensure that we are in the range that the rest of the market is. But in all honestly very few times I will actually loose a job to someone if we are within 10% of the total value. And if I am over that, typically they will call me, and let me know, and see if I can get closer to where the rest of the industry is. There's nothing wrong with making sure you aren't getting ripped off, but if someone is $20 cheaper, I wouldn't worry about that difference.

The reason why they do this, is they know that because of our relationship, I will be there to support them. If its expediting an order to help them get something faster or whatever many of my bigger clients know that if something goes wrong, they need something, regardless of if its 2am on a long weekend, I will answer my phone and do anything possible to help them. The same can't be said for some of my competition.

Now talking about a dealership... I've called my dealers 3 hours after close, told them that I need to get some replacement parts and had them come open up the doors just to help me out... I've heard of him driving parts out to riding area's (McLean Creek) just to help people out when something breaks... Sourcing back ordered parts from all over Canada to help get a machine back to running condition etc. Pushing to get "borderline" things covered by a manufacturers warranty.... I would say that these are perks for those that have relationships with them.

I have no issue with my dealer making money, in all honestly i'd prefer it. I want that dealer to be there a year from now, 2 years from now etc. If they all didn't make any money, they wouldn't be here. As long as its a reasonable amount.

I do agree with them getting on board with the OHV area's though.

Last edited:

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It is interesting to note only one dealership showed up to support the fight over keeping OHV use open in Alberta at the Edmonton rally I have been told ....
Yet these dealerships make millions of $$$, I would personally like them to support the sport more .. than advise me I need to have a relationship with them.
My ten bucks , anyhow ...

You would of had to be told any of the dealers were at the rally. No presence was noticeable to any one not in their friend circle.

I defiantly expected more from any of them!

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Only one I have seen anything from was Rocky Mountain Honda. They had petitions at the store and were helping out the RMDRA.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Only one I have seen anything from was Rocky Mountain Honda. They had petitions at the store and were helping out the RMDRA.

Cycle Works West was also there at the Rally with GM Tate Jeffery in attendance helping to fight for our rights. They too are very vocal in support.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

I also like the reverse psychology sale.....they're humming and hawing about picking it up, you start telling them not to buy it, it makes them want it even more...slimy sales 101

I use that with kijiji people all the time....I tell them to go home think about it and it you still interested shoot me a call or text I have yet for someone to leave without buying.

To be honest I have yet to buy anything from a salesperson, you have to remember they want your money and want to keep a job most will out of their way to tell you what you want to hear. I do my own research and make up my mind long before way before I walk into a stealership, don't get me wrong I do buy based price and I know what I should pay before I get there and also the warm and fuzzy feeling I get from them.
I seen and know many people that phone around then run around to 10 different stealerships to save a couple hundred bucks on a sled then finance it over 5 yrs which saves you what $5 bucks a month? IMO not worth my time

Top Bottom