RV Toy Haulers

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at an RV dealer today looking at up grading our holiday trailer to a 5th wheel so that I could pull a trailer for the street bike behind. I know that this is currently not legal in BC and the sales guy was telling me that by this time next year the same legislation is going to take effect in Alberta and Saskatchewan as well. Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of such changes. Was also wondering what the S&M members opinons were in the toy hauler RV's? (Good, Bad, useful options available and possible things to watch for when purchasing) I think that this is the way we are going to go that way no concerns with legislation changes or going into BC

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I was at an RV dealer today looking at up grading our holiday trailer to a 5th wheel so that I could pull a trailer for the street bike behind. I know that this is currently not legal in BC and the sales guy was telling me that by this time next year the same legislation is going to take effect in Alberta and Saskatchewan as well. Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of such changes. Was also wondering what the S&M members opinons were in the toy hauler RV's? (Good, Bad, useful options available and possible things to watch for when purchasing) I think that this is the way we are going to go that way no concerns with legislation changes or going into BC

HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING LATELY ON THE TOPIC, AND I WAS FOLLOWING IT FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS..... I WOULD CONTACT ALBERTA TRANSPORTATION AND SEE WHAT THEY COULD TELL YOU. I WOULD ALMOST SUSPECT THE SALESMAN COULD BE WISHFULLY THINKING THAT, SO HE COULD SELL MORE OF THEIR HIGH PRICED TOYHAULERS, AND COLLECT THE BIGGER COMMISSION??? A.T. PHONE # IS :
ALBERTA INFRASTRUCTURE AND TRANSPORTATION, VEHICLE SAFETY SECTION -- (780)427-8901 OR TOLL FREE AT 310-0000:cool:
HOPE THAT HELPS, AND GOOD LUCK.

dirtydodge

Reaction score
That good to know , half the guys i go camping with do this and it's gonna suck cuz they will either have to drive another truck to pull or get a toy hauler ..
I am looking into toy haulers myself right now and might make the trip south to save a few bucks and have a holiday out of it as well .

Thanks man

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been looking at the toy haulers as well. Seems to be a large premium on the toy hauler over a similarily equipped trailer. The difference will buy a lot of gas for the second pickup.

I am set up to carry two machines on my truck and pull a trailer, so we only need the second pickup if we take all three quads. The second pickup costs us $300 to $400 in fuel per year. The premium on the toy hauler is $5000+, so pay back is at least 12-15 years. Extra maintenance on the truck is offset by the extra maintenance the toy hauler requires.

IMO the real question might be: Is the premium on a toy hauler worth the conveniance of the toy hauler?

dirtydodge

Reaction score
Hey you are right , And just like everything else this is a choice we all have to make . For the last 2 years I go out with all my stuff and the quads in an older inclosed car hauler . All my stuff is inside and can be locked up . But I still go where the bears go and wash in a basin and sleep on an air mattress . It has worked for me and mine , but a few comforts would be nice to have on those long weekends and such . Now if I could find a place or someone who does the interiors for a good price I think I would get my trailer done with a few things . The places that do this local are very expensive and booked almost a year ahead . And it almost is the same price as buying 1 . And I am not so good at this or it would have been done already . So ya ,, to spend the cash or not ....

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's another thought I have been contiplating the past few weeks. I have a 30 year old trailer will fridge, stove, beds, table, bath tub, shower, sinks, hot water tank, fresh water and holding tanks, etc. Fridge doesn't work well but everthing else does.

I know where I can pick up a 35 foot enclosed five wheel trailer (car hauler) for less than $5000. The math says I can spend $40,000 making it into a toy hauler and still be saving $$. And I get a floor plan I want. I figure $20,000 buys nice cupboards, flooring, matress, 2X4s, wall coverings, fuel tank and pump, solar panel, and enough beer to last me the winter (which is when I would do the work). I run three businesses, all with shops, so I do have a heated place to do the work.

Seems the more one thinks about these things the more questions that arise: Am I energetic enough to spend the winter building a toy hauler?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great information.........I started looking at Toy Haulers and quickly became a lot more fond of my trailer although once my youngest moves up to the next size quad I'm hooped unless we take two vehicles.A good friend of mine just bought one,a pull behind(top of the line) likely the same one I would buy and paid 60.000 plus.I just cannot justify that and we camp a lot.Moral of the story.........................I love my Trailer! LOL!
catmando!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a thought as well but why not put a extention on the frame rails on the trailer and build it strong enough to carry 1 quad sideways across the back. Maybe not a full size quad but a smaller one. Maybe 500 # max. With a little rigging it should work and not add to much extra weight.

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys there is alot to consider I guess it comes down to what you are willing to spend on one.
We looked at many different models but the wife thought they all looked too much like a utility trailer and not enough fancy stuff on the inside like she wanted. Well we reached a compromize and found a 29 footer that we both could live with. I pick it up on friday I will post some pictures maybe later this weekend. Girly up front :rant: manly in the rear and will make a good home for the bike in the winter months too. Prices are actually not too bad right now, 2008 units are starting to come in.
Summitrick I see you have the same opinion of saleman as I do, Most of them make my skin crawl as soon as I walk into a place. Thanks for the contact information I will give them a call tomorrow and see if this guys is just blowing hot air up my you know what.
I have a 89,90?? 20ft tandem travel trailer for sale if anyone is looking for one. Very nice shape, new axles, springs wheels and tires last year. A/C, stereo, microwave, full bath, 1pc roof, new laminent floor every thing work perfect PM me if interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Enjoy The New Trailer Toenee....... Now You Need "snow And Mud.com" Decals On The Trailer Bumper......... I Have Them At The Shop(sherwood Park Certigard) Or See Pure Addiction Motorsports (rory) And He Has Them Too. $10.00 For The Big One, Or $7.00 For The Smaller One.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbor just bought a 39' fifthwheel toy hauler. Bought it new out of Saskatchewan for under $55,000. I believe it is in Davidson Saskatchewan.
They have been advertising in the RV Trader and Bargain Finder. The prices seem to be really good.
Neigbor also bought a 4 place enclosed for work and said it was a few grand cheaper there as well.

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enjoy The New Trailer Toenee....... Now You Need "snow And Mud.com" Decals On The Trailer Bumper......... I Have Them At The Shop(sherwood Park Certigard) Or See Pure Addiction Motorsports (rory) And He Has Them Too. $10.00 For The Big One, Or $7.00 For The Smaller One.

I will stop by and pick a couple up for the new trailer and my enclosed sled trailer as well.

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need a drive way stretcher now:rant:

Attachments

• IMGP1081.jpg
    IMGP1081.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMGP1085.jpg
    IMGP1085.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMGP1088.jpg
    IMGP1088.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMGP1089.jpg
    IMGP1089.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMGP1083.jpg
    IMGP1083.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMGP1091.jpg
    IMGP1091.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 142

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
very nice Toeknee, are you going to come to the snowandmud campout for its maiden voyage?

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Nice Toy Hauler!!!!

Way Cool......... I Like It Toeknee, But I Don't Think It Will Fit In That Driveway. I Don't See Any S&m Decals On The Truck Or Trailer Yet, So You Better Slide By My Shop And Pick A Couple Up, Eh?? How Many Quads Will Fit In The Back Of That Hobbi??? Looks Like A Couple Will, Eh? :)....

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Nice Toy Hauler!!!!

Way Cool......... I Like It Toeknee, But I Don't Think It Will Fit In That Driveway. I Don't See Any S&m Decals On The Truck Or Trailer Yet, So You Better Slide By My Shop And Pick A Couple Up, Eh?? How Many Quads Will Fit In The Back Of That Hobbi??? Looks Like A Couple Will, Eh? :)....

Just one Quad would fit it is only a single side toy hauler the washroom is down the other side of it approx 5 ft by 9ft toy storage area ( perfect for the street bike). Ya I will swing by and pick up some S&M decals one of these days

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice trailer Toeknee

Just wondering if you found out any more info on whether or not the Alberta gov't is going to be allowing boats or quad trailers being pulled behind 5th wheel trailers?

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
Hey Toeknee, Nice trailer. Saw it in the e-mail that you sent.
Steve

GRD

Reaction score
Nice trailer. What is the weight and how does the half-ton pull it?

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice trailer. What is the weight and how does the half-ton pull it?

5400Lbs dry weight, truck seems to pull it alright but have not had a chance to try it with the bike and everything else (Beer:D) in it. I even pulled it home with no equalizer bars and 20 psi in the air ride on the truck and it pulled just fine at $1.20
Summit (Steve) let me know if you got the new job, they called for a reference yesterday and I had to lie to make you sound good ha ha just joking.
Sorry 800 RMK I have not had a chance to call to see if towing regulations are infact changing or not.

Top Bottom