running temp for a 900?

jameewee

Reaction score
what is a safe/normal running temp for a 900? what is the upper limit for a safe temp? my gauge runs anywhere from 138 to 168 depending on how much snow i am runing in.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With scratchers down I run from 125 - 130.
On warm days I've run 160s and 170s.
Mine has gone as high as 200. That's when I pull over and let it cool down.

Scratchers are the best thing for 900s and most sleds.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Warm days mine runs 170 to 190,If it hits 220 the computer will make the engine bogg and if that does'nt stop you im told it will shut you down,colder days 160/170.....Full SLP system on mine,Im told it will run hotter than stock! hope this helps.
catmando!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '06 ran at 125*-140*, depending on how much powder there was. On the rare occasion that I neglected to put the scratchers down on hardpack, it would go into "limp" mode at 185*.

cat, my sled did not run any hotter when I did the SLP pipe and reflash.

jameewee, does your sled have the rad delete done ?

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

Last edited:

jameewee

Reaction score
yes the rad delete was done before i got the sled. it has an slp pipe and as best as i can tell it is an slp airbox. it is not the original air box for sure.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can assure you mine dosnt go into limp mode at 185..............Around 210+.................And if it ran at 125 to 140 I would think something aint right,I have the full SLP set up and reflash.................and by the sounds of it a faulty temp sensor,I hear thats a common problem though!..............
Just Sayin! May have to meet in Edson and go for a ride and compare notes,Agreat reason to go for a ride!
catmando!

Last edited:

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Venting helps allot on the 900 for sure, I also re routed the cooling lines it's a quick fix, there is an old post/Pic of this on Sno/Wes of this and it worked great for mine!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did neglect to mention that I had serious venting on my 9. Vented side panels and a Diamond S hood. May have help just a little.
IMG_0444resized.jpg

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
HA! HA!..........thats pretty serious venting,mine is in dire need of venting.Trying to find new side covers and then add vents,in the mean time I am going to pick up a vent kit from a vender on here for the hood,untill then my sled is hotter than yours LOL!
That sled looks sweet.................
catmando!

Attachments

• IMG_0143 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_0143 (640x427).jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually, cat, the engine temps I mentioned in my first post were the same with the stock hood or the Diamond S. Obviously though, the under hood temps were much higher with the stock hood. I remember doing a very, very long pull with the stock hood in about 2-3 feet of powder and noticing an "odour" that smelled like melting sliders. I stopped at the top of climb, opened the hood, and found that my pipe had got so hot that the shiny, silver ceramic coating had turned grayish-brown and the intake plenum on the hood had melted and was dripping molten plastic onto the pipe. After that ride, I put my Diamond S back on (I had taken it off because I liked the looks of the stock hood) and never looked back. No more issues.

Top Bottom