running race fuel mix?

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for guys out there running a 50/50 mix or something similar do you do all the mixing before you put it in the sled and just carry a bunch of Jerry cans pre mixed from home? my main question is when you still have a half tank left in the sled how do you know how much race fuel to add when putting in the premium at the pump?

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The easiest way is to get yourself a VP mixing jug and depending if you have a sled trailer keep the drum of race fuel in the sled trailer, and mix accordingly. If you don’t have a trailer and your using a deck I always used the small 52L drums to keep the race fuel in. It’s best to always get fresh pump but lots just grab an empty drum and pour half of the drum into the empty drum roll up to the shell and top both of them up. All depends on how much riding you plan on doing and what your setup is.
IMG_3401.JPG

Last edited:

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The easiest way is to get yourself a VP mixing jug and depending if you have a sled trailer keep the drum of race fuel in the sled trailer, and mix accordingly. If you don’t have a trailer and your using a deck I always used the small 52L drums to keep the race fuel in. It’s best to always get fresh pump but lots just grab an empty drum and pour half of the drum into the empty drum roll up to the shell and top both of them up. All depends on how much riding you plan on doing and what your setup is.
View attachment 213830

Where do you find the 52L barrels? Looking for a solution to storing Av gas.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you find the 52L barrels? Looking for a solution to storing Av gas.

VP of course! Sorry they are 56L/15gallon drums I had Jordan order them in for me. They fit perfect under the deck. 2 drums gives you 112L of Pure fun. You used to be able to get them in C111 or C12 and I would mix them at 50/50 giving you almost enough for a week of riding...I would think you should be able to get them in X100 now which is sled specific fuel that everyone should be running instead of AV gas ?

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VP of course! Sorry they are 56L/15gallon drums I had Jordan order them in for me. They fit perfect under the deck. 2 drums gives you 112L of Pure fun. You used to be able to get them in C111 or C12 and I would mix them at 50/50 giving you almost enough for a week of riding...I would think you should be able to get them in X100 now which is sled specific fuel that everyone should be running instead of AV gas ?

Nothing wrong with AV gas aside from being a tad drier of a fuel. Run good quality oil and have your oil injection turned up which you should anyways on a turbo application and you're just fine.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with AV gas aside from being a tad drier of a fuel. Run good quality oil and have your oil injection turned up which you should anyways on a turbo application and you're just fine.

I agree 100%. X100 burns a little faster but to me if you’re gonna run X100 then run 116. AV is tried tested and true by everyone out there making anything a sled can use and there’s a lot of data etc. At $1.60 a liter you cant go wrong.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

just Remember to put the big hole at the top of the pail or drum and you can pour it through a funnel direct into the tank. Tip of the day...people usually put the big hole at the bottom of the pails...doesn’t work well. If you take a spout that has a handle and attach a 6’ hose you can just fuel up out of the back of the truck, way less messin around, super easy to keep it clean with a plastic cap and if you use the funnel dry it out in the garage when you get home and check the screen. Just my $0.02

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hated mixing fuel, i'm very happy that i don't do that nonsense anymore. Those day's are long gone for me.
IMO, if your going to build a sled motor, be smart about it, build it so its safe on pump gas.

Last edited:

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
925 with 14-1 is a little over the capabilities of pump haha. I made my bed now i find out how to lay in it haha

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
925 with 14-1 is a little over the capabilities of pump haha. I made my bed now i find out how to lay in it haha

OK, that explains everything LOL....you really took it up there.
When i ran VP i premixed all my fuel at home so i never needed to do it at the parking lot or at a gas station. I went through 1 1/2 barrels a season of VP C12 and would fill that sled up at home and mix enough for how much riding i would do, it was very easy that way. Plus my spare.
Like EZsmoke brought up, a dedicated container works best and you don't want to store in the container for long periods but use it as a transfer only, this also hold true for your spare fuel, i would cycle through that fuel also every time to keep fresh in it.

One of the biggest advice i give to guys running these compression number's, even with race fuel, at low elevation take it easy on the throttle and never run at a steady throttle, if your going to lock up this is where it will happen. At elevation your compression ratio will lower to much more safer ranges and WOT will be ok.
Do you have any monitoring gauge's on the sled? Like EGT or O2, if you don't you should.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, that explains everything LOL....you really took it up there.
When i ran VP i premixed all my fuel at home so i never needed to do it at the parking lot or at a gas station. I went through 1 1/2 barrels a season of VP C12 and would fill that sled up at home and mix enough for how much riding i would do, it was very easy that way. Plus my spare.
Like EZsmoke brought up, a dedicated container works best and you don't want to store in the container for long periods but use it as a transfer only, this also hold true for your spare fuel, i would cycle through that fuel also every time to keep fresh in it.

One of the biggest advice i give to guys running these compression number's, even with race fuel, at low elevation take it easy on the throttle and never run at a steady throttle, if your going to lock up this is where it will happen. At elevation your compression ratio will lower to much more safer ranges and WOT will be ok.
Do you have any monitoring gauge's on the sled? Like EGT or O2, if you don't you should.

Great advise couldn’t agree more...that first 10kms, or last lol I’ve seen more locked up sleds then I can count, and I had to learn the hard way locking up a few of my own in those stretches!

Plastic containers are for transfer only and cycle that spare gas through the sled. She no good when you haven’t rode for a month, you hit a 4ft powder sunday you run out of fuel and your spare gas is from the last trip ?‍??

Top Bottom