Run outta Room!!

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the problem: I have a Ford Ranger.. lol that's not the only problem. I like this truck and can't afford a bigger one right now. I normally haul one quad and the tent trailer when the g.f. and I go out camping, but we just picked her up a wolverine and now I am wondering how I can haul all of this stuff with a small truck. I can't put a deck on my truck as it'd be too top heavy. I thought about hauling the wolvy on top of the tent trailer lol like a hillbilly..I am definetely gonna get a pic of that if I do..but I don't think that's a good idea haha. I also thought about getting a 18' or 20' car hauler and hauling one quad in the box and the tent trailer and the other quad on the trailer, but I'm not sure how much hitch weight there would be...

Any input appreciated. thanks.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
yeah but he would be overweight

whats the tow capacity on the truck and whats the weight of the trailer??? honestly if the truck can do it the quad on the trailer isnt a bad idea......put some 3/4" ply or something on the trailer first to spread the weight......and IMO i would try to get both on the trailer and get yours out of the box, hauling the trailer and quad + the pay load in the box might be worse than just the tow weight of all 3. if the truck can take weight

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stretch the hitch on the tent trailer, slap on a deck for one quad, other in the box and viola you are done....

Easy for me, I am a welder lol...
I thought about that too. I think if I do that I'd have to add another axle to spread the weight out...but I do like the idea. I may just do that.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll make you a helluva deal on a GMC 2500 with an aluminum sled deck.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats the tow capacity on the truck and whats the weight of the trailer??? honestly if the truck can do it the quad on the trailer isnt a bad idea......put some 3/4" ply or something on the trailer first to spread the weight......and IMO i would try to get both on the trailer and get yours out of the box, hauling the trailer and quad + the pay load in the box might be worse than just the tow weight of all 3. if the truck can take weight
The truck can pull the weight for sure, it just may be too much hitch weight depending on which way I go. I'm gonna try pullin the wolvy onto the tent trailer just to see how it looks.

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The economy is just perfect for gettin in over your head, just giver man and don't look back :d:beer:

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A guy I know has a 22' V-nose that he put cabinets in the ft of and a Murphy bed in the back. Hauls his Rhino in it for hunting and to the lake then drops the bed when he need it, even has a lino floor.
Think about getting rid of the tent trailer, or even gut it out, and into a 7' wide Cargo that your Ranger can handle???
You won't even have to tell the GF not to touch the sides in the am.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With your ranger and pulling any tandem trailer u will be overloaded, too much tounge weight at a higher speed u will loose it and trialer will fish tail then spin u around. That happened to me quite a few years ago, ended up doing a 180 on a gravel road luckily no damage. I had my sled trailer hauling some crap to the dump, she happened pretty fast it kinda freaked me out.:nono:

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With your ranger and pulling any tandem trailer u will be overloaded, too much tounge weight at a higher speed u will loose it and trialer will fish tail then spin u around. That happened to me quite a few years ago, ended up doing a 180 on a gravel road luckily no damage. I had my sled trailer hauling some crap to the dump, she happened pretty fast it kinda freaked me out.:nono:
I can see that happening with this truck. It already stands the front end up pretty good with one quad and the tent trailer.

lowlife

Reaction score
I think your best bet would be a tandem axle trailer, and put both quads and the tent trailer (maybe remove the tongue and axle) on it. You'll have to play with the setup a bit to get the proper tongue weight, but it should tow great. Rangers are pretty stout for a small truck, especially with the 4.0. A family friend used to tow doubles, a small 21ish foot fifth wheel and a fishing boat, with his. He put many trouble free miles on that setup as well.

Top Bottom