rotax 583 cooling system help

xcya

Reaction score
I have an older type 583 rotax engine in my poo chasie with artic cat clutches. this sled works awsome with this set up but i am puzled by the coolant hose that comes from the top of the cyl. head cover back to the coolant tank? does this need to be there or not? I have noticed that on the newer 583 engines that there is no coolant line there anymore. it also has 42 deg. c thermostat. Also is the temp. sending unit designed for an idiot lite or for a temp. gauge? Right now it's hooked up to a lite and comes on when the engine is just worming up. Thank you for any help.

JBDoo

Reaction score
That hose is to circulate the coolant to the resevoir and then back to the waterpump while the t-stat is closed. If you are not running a t-stat you can eliminate it but make sure to warm up your engine better before taking off or you will be looking at a 4 corner piston scuff or worse. There were sensors for lights or gauges, it sounds like you have a gauge type sensor hooked up to the light.

xcya

Reaction score
Thank you for the info, i was worried and didn't want to ride it. this thing should be ready to go then. the top end was just rebuilt and need to break it in now.

Top Bottom