Roll over container

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this roll over container? Tied into the valve cover to the oil tanks. I guess when you flip it over fills that container up then drains back when the sled it back on the track. I'm sure some would leak out though. I guess it would work. Ugly though. Also a pingle tether .... thoughts? Be worth the investment to change it?

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that tube from the roll over can just vented to the bottom of the subframe? I would throw a small K&N filter on the end. I have the Alpine roll over can & get oil out of it when I roll the sled & cant shut here off in time. Im going to run an extra hose to the belly pan keep the oil down low rather than all over my battery & wiring.
I'm switching to the Pingel Tether. I think it is a much better connection. I have the reg Red rubber plug & it ends up falling off, getting snow in it & never seems to work.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's just hanging there.....basically where that hose clamp at the bottom it's open....no idea why there's even a hose clamp there........maybe there was a filter there.

Last edited:

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the catch can is built proper it will have a internal spiget that runs right to the top so it cant over flow and run out the vent. I still have a small K&N on my vent. No matter where your vent line runs to if it leaks willmae a mess
Im running a teth-air and I like it

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm useing PINGEL tether, have been for couple years now and they work flawlessly. I had a Yamaha one and it was troublesome.
I also use a similar recovery can and with a little ingenious hose routing you should get little oil coming out if you roll. But it is a pita of a system. Yamaha should had known better....that sleds do role.

Dtripps

Reaction score
Just a side note as it happened to me. The breather hose I have had a small filter and was hose clamped on, I ran it down the side of my oil tank as I have the alpine roll over catch can. I was riding deep powder and stopped at lunch and everything cooled off. The breather hose/ filter on the end froze off and within seconds and maybe 10 meters I blew a hole in the oil tank and lost all my oil. I cut off that filter at the end of the breather hose and have not had an issue since.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dtripps... do you have any pics of your setup? Im also running the Alpine rollover can & on mine, but then it runs to a second small can with a K&N filter & hose from the head.
Just wondering how yours is run.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kinda off topic here....but what was the yamaha rollover valve doing to cause issues? I have mine for 2 years now and now I don't know if I should take it off. For a catch can I made one out of pvc pipe with a baffle in the middle, then the vent off the top is routed to the bottom of the engine, and I split the hose about 3 inchs so it can't freeze off. I mounted it in front of the rad.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this roll over container? Tied into the valve cover to the oil tanks. I guess when you flip it over fills that container up then drains back when the sled it back on the track. I'm sure some would leak out though. I guess it would work. Ugly though. Also a pingle tether .... thoughts? Be worth the investment to change it?

That's not actually a roll over container. If you had a rollover valve (actuated by a tether) it would be between that tank and the factory tank. That tank (as I understand it) is to allow misted oil from the valve cover breather to condense/trap then drip into the factory tank. It is an add-on that was developed out of necessity with turbo applications. The newer MCX setups have this tank built into the intercooler. If you get upsidedown the way it is now, your factory tank drips into the breather tank, then ends up all over the ground. With a rollover valve installed, you only lose what was misted in the breather tank at the time of flop-over.

Edit: I THINK. My MCX had a similar tank and that's what I was told.....

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not actually a roll over container. If you had a rollover valve (actuated by a tether) it would be between that tank and the factory tank. That tank (as I understand it) is to allow misted oil from the valve cover breather to condense/trap then drip into the factory tank. It is an add-on that was developed out of necessity with turbo applications. The newer MCX setups have this tank built into the intercooler. If you get upsidedown the way it is now, your factory tank drips into the breather tank, then ends up all over the ground. With a rollover valve installed, you only lose what was misted in the breather tank at the time of flop-over.

Edit: I THINK. My MCX had a similar tank and that's what I was told.....

Actually yes I agree There will be a mess

Last edited:

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the tank is just there to hold misting oil? Which makes sense now. The rollover valve is a positive shut off if you pull your tether in time!!
I think if sled is running it will pulp the oil out no matter what.
I have the Alpine tank & then another small canister that the valve cover runs to.. Both are tied together. With a K&N filter on the end by the top of intercooler. So I end up with oil down that whole side when I tip mine over.

Dtripps

Reaction score
Culvert, I am not having luck uploading photos. my rollo over can mounts right above the oil resivoir using the bolts that hold the oil resivoir in place. The breather hose from the oil resivoir runs into the roll over can, the roll over can has some baffils in it and a spout at the top of the can. I have a hose on the spout and it runs down the side of the oil resivoir between it and the plastic. The plastic has openings in it from factory and this is where snow gets in and with the filter/valve that use to be on the end of my breather hose it was freezing off and blew my tank. I know trimmed that breather hose taking the filter off and it works great, u get a little oil mess on the plastic from the oil mist/condensation but does not puke oil when the machine is upside down like it use to. I will keep trying on the photos.

Thedoityouselfguy

Reaction score
So from the research I have done I found tha first......get rid of the filter or make a cut in the hose in the event of a freeze up.....some guys have actually blown valve cover gaskets because of frozen breather hose filters. Second.....I seena guy add a length of hose to his catch can much like the one in the first picture on this post.....he said when the sled is upside down in will fill the hose but not overflow therefore when you roll it back over you will only lose whatever oil was in the hose. I rigged mine up like that but have not been able to try it yet ....sounds promising though.

Top Bottom