rocky point conditions

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have not heard of anyone going in there yet.... i am sure someone has.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to some boys on new years who were up there and broke trail in said it was 4 feet of fresh with about a 3 foot base but that was before this real big storm hit so I'm kinda curious how it might be up there I got a guy who is relatively new to sledding but is getting better so i'm not sure if we would be able to really break trail to easy with him me yes him not to sure yet

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We took a stab at Rocky Point on Sunday....

The staging area is roughly 3km from the Bugaboo road. Road is plowed with a good sized turn around. We got close to getting in to the riding area, but were stopped by avy debris.

There were four avys that went across the main road, all very passable plus four or five more on the trail. Three of which were passable and after a bunch of shoveling the fourth is good now as well, but there is a huge one that was going to take us until dark to dig in!
The debris piles are hard and have less then 3" of fresh on them so sidehilling in wasn't going to happen.

All that is needed is a foot of snow or somebody to go finish what we started.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If nobody has been in since the last storm breaking trail with a noob will be really tough going.

I would be cautious at taking a new guy into the area with the conditions as they are, riding is one thing avy terrain experience is another.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The staging area is roughly 3km from the Bugaboo road. Road is plowed with a good sized turn around. We got close to getting in to the riding area, but were stopped by avy debris.

There were four avys that went across the main road, all very passable plus four or five more on the trail. Three of which were passable and after a bunch of shoveling the fourth is good now as well, but there is a huge one that was going to take us until dark to dig in!
The debris piles are hard and have less then 3" of fresh on them so sidehilling in wasn't going to happen.

ohhh really... i have a shovel that needs some love! I am tied up Sat but may have a peek on Sunday:d

summitking

Reaction score
Thanks for the update fellas. Have a cabin just off the cartwright road and was going to take the lady friend on a quick ride to the Bubaboo Heli Lodge on Saturday. Was worried we wouldn't get through as I've been there in July when the roads are still impassable. Guess I won't be taking her there.

Have seen those slide paths a fair bit in the summer and I've always wondered how crazy some of them would be when they slid. Definately class 4's, maybe a 5 across there.

Thanks again.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

forget the shoveling there, wow! Just hit up kain creek instead and break into rocky point the short way:d

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
forget the shoveling there, wow! Just hit up kain creek instead and break into rocky point the short way:d

Have never been into Kain Creek, I have gone in as far as i could with my pickup in the fall (firewood) but stopped just after the first cut block because of willows.
Looking on Google earth Kain Creek area looks like a large cresent shaped ridge with about 20 slide paths starting at the peaks and ending up in the valley bottom.
Like I said I have never been in the area, but I would guess you would be dealing with avy debris in there as well.
Is there area to ride there that isn't a slide shoot or a run out path??

Not the place to go with the avy danger being high!!

summitking

Reaction score
The only relatively safe place I know in the area with a ton of pow is the meadows at Forster but they're always the first place tracked out...

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have never been into Kain Creek, I have gone in as far as i could with my pickup in the fall (firewood) but stopped just after the first cut block because of willows.
Looking on Google earth Kain Creek area looks like a large cresent shaped ridge with about 20 slide paths starting at the peaks and ending up in the valley bottom.
Like I said I have never been in the area, but I would guess you would be dealing with avy debris in there as well.
Is there area to ride there that isn't a slide shoot or a run out path??

Not the place to go with the avy danger being high!!

Kain is a blast once there but is difficult to break and gatta know where to go. Yes there is a fair bit of avys in certain areas. If u look at google you will notice everything funnels into a waterfall. This thing is rowdy and can stop you. Bout a 50ftish climb of vert, two tears. The sidees are just worse. But to the west is the major avy that feeds down to this waterfall. Heh and if you want to get into rocky from here its the same gig. Monster hit will a 20ft chornic you gatta climb at the end. Not for begginners, might try after 2 weekends from now. Some old school locals should know the way :)

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kain is a blast once there but is difficult to break and gatta know where to go. Yes there is a fair bit of avys in certain areas. If u look at google you will notice everything funnels into a waterfall. This thing is rowdy and can stop you. Bout a 50ftish climb of vert, two tears. The sidees are just worse. But to the west is the major avy that feeds down to this waterfall. Heh and if you want to get into rocky from here its the same gig. Monster hit will a 20ft chornic you gatta climb at the end. Not for begginners, might try after 2 weekends from now. Some old school locals should know the way :)

There are alot of old school locals that ride that area...they can probably show us the way via Kain, not sure if it's a good plan yet until more snow comes. The slides at Rocky were much bigger and more of them than the past few years, you'd think the slides in Kain would be the same if not worse. Might be a tough go. The slides at Rocky busted right down to the main road...we haven't seen so much debris on the Bugaboo road itself. Slides were coming that far down.

Reaction score
two of us broke all the way in after the big storm a turbo and a big bore took all day and it was deep the avy paths all came down by the monday that the roads where closed and we just rode over them it was nice hopefully it hasn't melted up there not a trail for newbies or the girls though it looked like a snowcross track when we were done good luck and enjoy!!:beer:

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
two of us broke all the way in after the big storm a turbo and a big bore took all day and it was deep the avy paths all came down by the monday that the roads where closed and we just rode over them it was nice hopefully it hasn't melted up there not a trail for newbies or the girls though it looked like a snowcross track when we were done good luck and enjoy!!:beer:

At Rocky or Kain???

Hmmmm...Not a trail for 'newbies' or 'girls' :confused:

Last edited:

Untouchable

Reaction score
I was back in kain this summer on the quads and ran into the timber cruizers, they were setting the block boundries. We made it across the bridge but badly overgrown. Maybe the trail has been brushed out now.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was back in kain this summer on the quads and ran into the timber cruizers, they were setting the block boundries. We made it across the bridge but badly overgrown. Maybe the trail has been brushed out now.

The Olers where loggin up there, hahah no relation. If i remember correctly they just did new blocks and did not go further in. Lots of swamps past the last block.

All this talk, gunna go punch it on the 12, unless someones gonna beat me to it.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id be in for a ride with you on the 12 as well but we can talk about it this weekend at the ride :d :beer:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do it up buddy we are meeting at the subway round 8:30 and meeting oler at the buggs corner round 9:30

Top Bottom