Rocky Mtn House - Good Quading?

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions:

Thinking of getting out of the city for a weekend, heading down to Rocky Mountain House Area.
Any recommended rentals / Villas / Cabins (Sleep 6 incl Kids)

Where to quad? I have NO knowledge of the area, looking for some decent trails that will let me really enjoy the area....no stress (But not TOO easy) LOL.

Thanks.
Dale

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure about accommodations, but I've been riding there quite a bit, and it's all good. One good area we've done a few times would be Chambers Creek.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chambers creek is about a half hour down the david thompson hiway towards nordegg.quite muddy..you can ride down to the north sask river via the pipeline(nice ride) then head west on the old railroad line way down to an old abandoned cabboose ..real neet ride..or go towards cow lake past outwest camping to the end of the pavement.there is a pipeline the runs north and south..go north its way nicer than south it seems to go on and on..both are do-able on two wheel drives if thats what you are ridding..4x4s no problem..have fun!:beer:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
chambers creek is about a half hour down the david thompson hiway towards nordegg.quite muddy..you can ride down to the north sask river via the pipeline(nice ride) then head west on the old railroad line way down to an old abandoned cabboose ..real neet ride..or go towards cow lake past outwest camping to the end of the pavement.there is a pipeline the runs north and south..go north its way nicer than south it seems to go on and on..both are do-able on two wheel drives if thats what you are ridding..4x4s no problem..have fun!:beer:

I have rode on that old railway line a few years ago,but it was pretty nasty trying to get through the swamp where the old tresles were,, at least i think they were tresles.I have heard about the old cabboose but never seen it.How far abouts is it from the river.I also thought there was a cross or something by the river as if it was a memorial for someone.If you have a ruff idea on how far the caboose is from the river that would be great .

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode on that old railway line a few years ago,but it was pretty nasty trying to get through the swamp where the old tresles were,, at least i think they were tresles.I have heard about the old cabboose but never seen it.How far abouts is it from the river.I also thought there was a cross or something by the river as if it was a memorial for someone.If you have a ruff idea on how far the caboose is from the river that would be great .

Rode it last weekend...a lot of water, but a good ride. There is a cross by the river for "Morley"...I don't know the story. We drove down about 18kms down and did not see the caboose either...I would like to know how far down it is as well (closer to Nordegg???).

Only came across 1 problem area where a trestle used to be....Coalminer's Trail....Very steep, winding thru trees, nasty muskeg at the bottom (a bit of winching)...other than that, a really good ride.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can avoid the deep tressel area by goind down thru the large feild down the hill,go west and as soon as you can go back up do that,,last time we were there there were pails hanging in the trees(they been there for a long time)heading west there is a view point to your left and the old cabbose and old very old abandoned schoolhouse to the right if you pass it you will come to a fence right on the rail line..you can go around the fence to the right but it only goes to a road that you cross and not much further.there is an old rail car(flat bed) that looks like it crashed down the hill.only a deer path from there..its a nice trip from chambers creek campground..if you watch the ground in some areas you will see that a saw mill was there at one time,it was in the area where the car door has been standing next to a tree ever since we started going there years ago,good luck and post pics if you happen to find the old caboose.:beer:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Cause right where the rail line starts by the cross that is the pipe line correct?So you have to go down the rail line for a while and then up through the field?or take the field first? When they got rid of the tressles the stumps are just under the water a bit and then you get hung up on them.sorry for the confusion..The caboose and stuff should be a bit easier to see now that some of the leaves on the trees might be gone..

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Rode it last weekend...a lot of water, but a good ride. There is a cross by the river for "Morley"...I don't know the story. We drove down about 18kms down and did not see the caboose either...I would like to know how far down it is as well (closer to Nordegg???).

Only came across 1 problem area where a trestle used to be....Coalminer's Trail....Very steep, winding thru trees, nasty muskeg at the bottom (a bit of winching)...other than that, a really good ride.

maybe if you go out there again before a lot of snow files we can get some people together for a ride.I ride with a guy who knows that area pretty good I will give him a call tonight..

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have maps of the chambers creek trails both on the north and south sides ,but like anything else the trails change over the years.But still should be basically the same ,we will have to figure out a sat. or sunday ride

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the caboose wont be visible as it a little too far back ..but the pails up in the trees will be (if they are still there). if you do come accross the fence thats goes around someone's land you are about 5 mins too far west.the access to the caboose was really chewed up..shows alot of traffic goes in there..thats how we found it..was wondering why are people trying so hard to go down that trail hmmm..there was also ribbons on the trees now come to think of it.:beer:

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cause right where the rail line starts by the cross that is the pipe line correct?So you have to go down the rail line for a while and then up through the field?or take the field first? When they got rid of the tressles the stumps are just under the water a bit and then you get hung up on them.sorry for the confusion..The caboose and stuff should be a bit easier to see now that some of the leaves on the trees might be gone..

I guess we'll have to go back another time now....Oh Rats! :d

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chamber's Creek is very good. The only thing is if you park in the ditch by the campground, you have to cross the river and up the bank on the other side and some times its really chewed up. And then you have about 1 1/2 miles of mud holes. Which is ok if thats what you there for, BUT after that it is really awesome riding. There's gas lines, old railway lines, and lots of quad trails thru lots of really nice bush !! You ride right down to the North Sask.!!Sure riding the tressels can get a little interesting, we rode right from Horburg all the way to the the road that goes south off the hi-way at the Jackfish Lake turn-off on the rail line. I've seen the Caboose many times , you have to look for the rags or ribbons hanging in the trees on the rail line on the right hand side and turn in and ride in a little ways. It's not as close to the rail line as you would think. Worth the ride though !! It's still a good ride from the gas line to the Caboose. Hope you get to see it soon !!! :d:d
HAPPY QUADDING !! Remember the worst day quadding is still better than the best day at work !!:d

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello, i know the old abandoned railline very well, myself and a friend have been working for about 2 yrs now to open it up and find good ways around the privately owned lands etc. We have a good route now and are working on making it better, just the 2 of us have built many bridges and cut/slashed more brush and trees than you could imagine. In the fall a group of us (about 12 machines) did the trip from Horburg to Nordegg ,it took us about 8 hrs one way including lunch campfire etc. After countless hrs / days of meetings i have the govt' on my side, they have taken my idea of building / REBUILDING the original ralline into a nice ridable trail for the whole family,and the govnt' is doing a large study on the costs and impacts of the trail (they have said it is something that would be a great asset).
Anything you need to know, shoot me a line and i'd be happy to let you know...better yet we could get together and i'll show you personally as your private tour guide..
hadster69@shaw.ca
Much of the trail is in good shape at the moment,and if you know where to turn could ride the whole way...watch for Coalminer's trail signs & blue paint with black arrows to show the way, however in some spots there is more than 1 way to go (a wet swampy way and a better way).

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you stay in the chambers creek area most of it is mud holes and badly rutted up from too many riders in very wet muddy conditions. If you get to the abandoned railline much of it is in better shape....some bad spots... If you go southwest on hwy 752 stop at the Outwest campground and find the trails north of it or farther west you will find baseline mountian up to the lookout towers. Or if you go to Nordegg and go north up the mountain to the mount Baldy lookout tower, or west passed nordegg to Cresent Falls you will find trails from the staging area west at that point.
Also on hwy 752 is the Falls Creek area just west of the Outwest campground (not signed so you need to know where to turn).
So many places it's hard to deciede where to go.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Hello, i know the old abandoned railline very well, myself and a friend have been working for about 2 yrs now to open it up and find good ways around the privately owned lands etc. We have a good route now and are working on making it better, just the 2 of us have built many bridges and cut/slashed more brush and trees than you could imagine. In the fall a group of us (about 12 machines) did the trip from Horburg to Nordegg ,it took us about 8 hrs one way including lunch campfire etc. After countless hrs / days of meetings i have the govt' on my side, they have taken my idea of building / REBUILDING the original ralline into a nice ridable trail for the whole family,and the govnt' is doing a large study on the costs and impacts of the trail (they have said it is something that would be a great asset).
Anything you need to know, shoot me a line and i'd be happy to let you know...better yet we could get together and i'll show you personally as your private tour guide..
hadster69@shaw.ca
Much of the trail is in good shape at the moment,and if you know where to turn could ride the whole way...watch for Coalminer's trail signs & blue paint with black arrows to show the way, however in some spots there is more than 1 way to go (a wet swampy way and a better way).
When the snow is gone i would probably be able to get a few together and do the ride for sure

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys!! I think we are planning to head back out that way in 09!! Probably a Fall trip again.
We are thinking of heading more towards Nordegg than Chambers Creek (Just need to find a cabin to rent for the weekend).
Would like to get a bit closer to elevations and lookouts...

Will be in touch when we are heading out....

iamcanadian

Reaction score
This ride sounds amazing. I've been camping in the Jackfish area for many years, and just got into quading a couple years ago. We've been around our old stomping grounds which is ok, but this sounds like it has some nice sites to see. I was thinking of entering south of Jackfish Lake... heading out in the spring. How's the trail from Jackfish to Chambers and Saunders? How long of a ride is it to Chambers? Is the caboose east or west from there? There are a couple of us interested in riding the old railway and curious how long the trip would take.

Top Bottom