Rock Tamers?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of big mud flaps hanging off my truck, but this has created issues with rocks being thrown at the travel trailer. Rock Tamers is an option I am considering. Any comments or other suggestions?

rider1

Reaction score
i like the cloud rider flap. Works very well i think there around 400.00.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful when you set them up if you do a lot of offroad/rough roads ... I found when you hit a hole they become a sweeper/sandblaster as flaps get too low and brush the ground. Every body asks me why I cut mine down, watch your rearview..

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful when you set them up if you do a lot of offroad/rough roads ... I found when you hit a hole they become a sweeper/sandblaster as flaps get too low and brush the ground. Every body asks me why I cut mine down, watch your rearview..
They are about the best answer though, the only thing that pisses me off is my backup sensors pick them up.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried to fabricate their own custom version of these or something similar? I have metal and flaps already...cost a lot less than the coin they are asking for them. Might be able to make something that won't affect the sensors in the rear bumper with a bit of thought.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried to fabricate their own custom version of these or something similar? I have metal and flaps already...cost a lot less than the coin they are asking for them. Might be able to make something that won't affect the sensors in the rear bumper with a bit of thought.

I made my own. Piece of square tubing and flaps A sleeve to go over the receiver

It's not as fancy as rock tamers but does the job

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quit using my Rock Tamers because of the Rocks that it would kick back up underneath my truck. I cut mine so that there was approx.4" clearance to the ground when loaded but still found they kicked up/back a ton of Rocks. I think for Highway use they are fine, I just found that I drive to much gravel roads and that they were counter productive in that application.

They are about the best answer though, the only thing that pisses me off is my backup sensors pick them up.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^
Same . Rocks hit the flaps and go between bumper and rock tamer .
Land on boat deck and windows breaking them.
Built ones that slide into receiver tubes and further forward.
Way better.
5u6ugy3e.jpg
harutagu.jpg

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was reading that the Tamers need to be adjusted so they sweep back a little, thus allowing the rocks to hit and drop. If not adjusted to sweep a little the rocks kick back.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like mine, I don't do a whole lot of dirt road towing so I've never noticed rocks hitting my truck. But at the same time I've also haven't noticed anymore dents in my diamond plate aluminum since I switched to them.

It did take me some time to set them up it they are not swept back enough they will hit your bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My dad use to drive truck doing long haul when i was young. He had the brush style on his truck.

F31368866.jpg

Problem was the big rocks would go right through it, but it would stop the sandblasting because the bristles would absorb all the energy and wouldn't bounce off rocks.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some called Rock solid, kinda like the brush style but made from plastic. Works great and they go all way across the back and about half the price of the rock tamers. after i got mine my dad and a buddy got some and none of our new trailers have any rock chips and we travel a lot of gravel. rocksolid_photo.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got rid of a set of the rock solid because of the the amount of rocks they let through and dented the diamond plate on the front of my trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got rid of a set of the rock solid because of the the amount of rocks they let through and dented the diamond plate on the front of my trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got rid of set like rock tamers cause the amount of rocks that came through the opening in the center destroyed the front of my old trailer. Just about every where i camp has a ton of gravel to be traveled. So far i have had better luck with the rock solid but more time will tell.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of big mud flaps hanging off my truck, but this has created issues with rocks being thrown at the travel trailer. Rock Tamers is an option I am considering. Any comments or other suggestions?

FYI RE mud Flaps....I'm not a fan of the looks of them, but they do slow down the rocks....as someone that has a truck, a car and a motorcycle....it pisses me off being behind a truck that dosent have mud flaps.....my car now has a craked windshield from a jacked up truck with out mud flaps....and its a provincial law.....

“Mudguards
64(1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have a part of its body, a fender or a mudguard that covers the width of each tire.

(2) The body part, fender or mudguard referred to in subsection (1) must be above each wheel and
(a) extend downwards at the rear of each axle or axle group to at least the centre line of the axle, or
(b) be a distance away from the ground equivalent to at least 1/3 of the horizontal distance from the bottom edge of the mudguard to the centre line of the axle, but not closer to the ground than 150 millimetres when the vehicle is loaded.
(3) In addition to the requirements of subsection (1), the following types of vehicle must be equipped with rear wheel splash and stone-throw protection that complies with SAE Standard J682:
(a) a commercial vehicle or combination of commercial vehicles that is registered for a gross weight of more than, or that weighs more than, 4500 kilograms and that is not a bus;
(b) a bus;
(c) a trailer.
(4) A passenger car is not required to have a mudguard.
(5) This section does not apply to a trailer designed

Top Bottom