rmk 900 cylinders

Dyck

Reaction score
Just bought a 2006 rmk 900, checked compression and boroscoped, doesn't look good but bought for a good deal. Talked to a few people about honing out and putting new pistons and rings but they're telling me that you can't hone them due to the finish on the jugs. Does anybody know anything more about this?

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is gouges in the cylinders you need to get them replated. You can not bore them out. If there in good condition and you just need pistons and rings then you can give them a light hone.

H2O

Reaction score
The cylinders have a nicasil coating on them and if it is flaking off it needs to be redone.
There are a few companies in Canada that can do them.
The cost from what I have heard is about $300-350 per cylinder.
If you are going to rebuild it I would have the crank runout checked also.
I think up to .004 is acceptable.
Polaris offers a complete new crankshaft with larger bearing and larger taper shaft with brand new clutch and 115 belt. List price is about 1340.00 P/N 2203617
I am also contemplating a complete rebuild on mine.
It still basically out performs the new 800cc sleds, thats why I would like to keep it.

H2O

Reaction score
BTW What is your compression readings? And did you do it with the engine warm?

Dyck

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yes, there are pretty good scuff marks. I have to recheck the compression. The sled still pull hard though. I had a RMK 700 and I'm pretty sure that even in the condition that the cylinders are this 900 would give it a licken! I'll keep it as is for now and I might pull the heads off this spring.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did my top end on my 05 to get the 05 pistons out. heard they break skirts. I had a light hone on the cylinders and I have 500 miles on it and now Im hard on the throttle. after this weekend I will do a compression test and post. if your doing the top end on your 06 you will be pulling the engine because of the injectors. 05 has two in the bottom the 06 has 4 (two top two bottom) Im lovin my 900 and it has 3500 miles and zero problems.

Top Bottom