rmk 700 wil not idle down

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a rmk 700 was running too lean so moved the needle up one notch too the middle adjusted the air screw, checked cable,turned out idle screw ,still will not idle down :confused:any ideas?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take your airbox off and check you openings on the carbs they must open and close exact or the idle will race the older models had 2 cables to adjust newer are a rail with 1 cable which are adjusted by screws in the carbs

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your carb boots for cracks. air infiltration will cause it to run lean and idle high

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when we check the plugs they don't look look like it's running lean.made the cables longer at the top of the carb hoping it would idle down still no luck.maybe i will have to take it apart ? any ideas?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when we check the plugs they don't look look like it's running lean.made the cables longer at the top of the carb hoping it would idle down still no luck.maybe i will have to take it apart ? any ideas?

with the engine idling. spray a little either at the clutch side crank seal. If the seal is bad the engine will rev up.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
U got a Boost bottle on it.... What pilot's U got ?

Last edited:

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wat kinda carbs? had a 03 800 wit the slide carbs would do the same thing. everytime i stopped it would stay at 2500-3000. just give the choke lever a quick flip then it kicks it back down to normal. actually know of a couple polaris's and a DOO like that. polaris had no answers for me.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you put on a riser on? Maybe the cable is pulled just a little bit. Guy i knows sled is like that , not quite enough to make it leave without you , but it is ready to rip with just a little bit of throttle... just another idea

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok it's a 2000 rmk 700 ,keihin carbs,slp pipes,main jets ? guess i have pull it apart . i will have to try the either good trick maybe dangerous but i like it

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Set the air screws one turn out from seated. Thats where these carbs seemed to like to be set. Run a 40 or 42 pilot. Pull the airbox off and slowly pull the throttle (Engine off) and check if both slides are lifting at the same time. Get yourself a syncronizing tool and set your idle then set throttle pull. Doesn't hurt to pull the carbs apart and do a cleaning, then you'll know what you've got for jetting. Fooling around with the throttle cable adjustment just makes things worse if you don't know know your baseline. Higgins.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '98 used to be like a diesel. When it's cold out it'd high idle over 2000. When it was running warm it'd idle really low (1000-1500). Those numbers are not 100% accurate but I remember it doing that. Sometimes a quick blip of the throttle will bring it down too.

kdecelles

Reaction score
Had same problem on 2001 rmk 700. 2500-3500 all the time. I found that the TPS was loose and I could move it with my hand. I dialed this in and it idled at 1500-2000 consistently, until we blew it up :p

Top Bottom