RK Tek ????? for M1000

Captain Undies

Reaction score
Hey guys ive been considering going to the new RK tek set up for my cat (08 M1000 162") it has a sluggish midrange and ive been waiting to hear if these RK tec helix's are the thing. When I buy the kit does it come with everything I need? or do I need to pick up "extras" does it come with springs rollers etc? If any one out there has been running them do you have a good set up that has been working good etc? Im a fat dude and I dont like it when an 800 picks up faster than me so im in a bit of a pouting mood and need a fix for this. I have d&d y pipe and can, k&N filters and pre filters and all the junk under the hood yanked out. I also have the boondocker and the clutch set up with d&d weights and springs(it works great) the diamond drive secondary though I have the spring changed and a shift assit bearing in it and it is a total dog in the mid range. I would sure like it if someone had some answers that could help me out. thanks

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The RKT secondary conversion works well and comes complete, with the exception of the spring (use either cat red/white or cat green). I don't know how heavy you are, but I run 235 - 240lbs with gear, and my choice of helix is a straight 36 degree. I do not ride it anywhere but in the mountains, though - the only snow it sees at home is loading it on the deck.
Anyway, are you sure your mid range is a clutching issue? Lots of these cats have an issue with power valve cables stretching - personally, I'd throw the electric valve assemblies in the garbage and run STM valves - way smoother power delivery, and no bog when you hop back into the throttle under load. They also utilize the KISS rule, so anything that will reduce a breakdown in the mountains is a plus.

Captain Undies

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info!! I already have the the valves yanked out and by the time i get home I should have the power valve kit that fastlane sells waiting for me. What is the issue with the spring they send with the kit? Is it to hard? or not hard enough? I also hear that some guys are running polaris belts on them to cause they are a lot more sticky and hold up better?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The RKT kit doesn't (or never used to), come with a spring. I'm not familar with the fastlane power valves, but I assume they are a bellows style? If so, they are pretty much the same deal as the STM's that I run. Remember to remove the white plastic bushing from the diamond drive secondary when intalling the kit, or the clutch will not function properly - I had a friend use the CPC kit (similar), who had tuning nightmares for half the season because he forgot to remove it... As far as belt life, I'm running the 046 cat belt, and just changed it after two seasons of hard riding...but I'd stay away from the Carlisle belt - buddy made 60 miles on one the first year, then put the 046 on, been riding since. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed the RK tek kit into mine Glenn at spridrift set me up with a kit. complete wit spring and toll. haven't had a chance to try it in the mountains yet but on f!@# of a back shift down here. Running the 26/38 cut that Glenn recommended. I think I lost a little top end but can't swear to it as I haven't realy had a chance to streach her out since it put in the Kit.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed the RK tek kit into mine Glenn at spridrift set me up with a kit. complete wit spring and toll. haven't had a chance to try it in the mountains yet but on f!@# of a back shift down here. Running the 26/38 cut that Glenn recommended. I think I lost a little top end but can't swear to it as I haven't realy had a chance to streach her out since it put in the Kit.

Which weights are u running with that setup for mcbride?

thanks

Top Bottom