RK TEC Drop in Kit Help

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for Boondocker numbers for my 2014 Pro 800, with a RK TEC drop in pistons and head kit.

Also have a Fire n Ice air intake installed and HPS can, will this affect the kits reliability.

Any info and tech input will be greatly appreciated.

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
I'm looking for Boondocker numbers for my 2014 Pro 800, with a RK TEC drop in pistons and head kit.

Also have a Fire n Ice air intake installed and HPS can, will this affect the kits reliability.

Any info and tech input will be greatly appreciated.

With that can (highly NOT a recommended can) and an intake that I have not tested,,,, I can not begin to guess where you should start,,,

With a stock intake and a stock can (or a can that works) I would suggest about 6% in the m id band and about 3% in the upper band,,,

michaud2307

Reaction score
This is what my buddy got with the same kit as yours.. He's got stock intake and jaws can
abavaqyr.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jaws cans are flow tested as well as back pressure. HPS are not don't think. Might be why he says no good. Doesn't mean it isn't just can't say for sure that it is ok. Same thing happened with the dyno port on the big bores, not recommended at first until Kelsey was able to test. Maybe he did test test hps and that's why he says no good, or just simply never did test.

rmscustom

Reaction score
This is what my buddy got with the same kit as yours.. He's got stock intake and jaws can http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/30/abavaqyr.jpg

That seems like really high #s. What elevation is that for? The only guys I've talked to running higher than kelseys recommended #s are running at 9000'+ and still they're only running 10% in the mid and 12% on top.
Does 1 number on the BD box = 1%?
Kelsey,
It would be helpful to a lot of people if you would post #s on your website (or here) for the 13 and newer drop in kit owners like you have for the 858 kit.
I realize it would be a starting point but it would be very helpful for those like me that have never played around with fuel #s before.

Last edited:

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
2500 00 00 00 00 00 00
4000 00 00 00 00 00 00
5000 00 00 00 00 00 00
5500 06 06 06 06 06 06
6000 06 06 06 06 06 06
6500 06 06 06 06 06 06
6750 06 06 06 06 06 06
7000 06 06 06 06 06 06
7250 06 06 06 06 06 06
7500 06 06 06 06 06 06
7750 06 06 06 06 06 06
8000 06 06 06 06 06 06
8500 06 06 06 06 06 06

here is where I would start for the 2013 with the Drop in kit on the 2013 and 2014 with STOCK exhaust ONLY Adjust from these numbers to fine tune..

michaud2307

Reaction score
Why so different of what u sent my buddy? I'm so lost in all those number.. If only someone would take the time to explain what is what it will make it a lot easier for the guys that don't play with that everyday... If I would understand what all those number actually are(percent or value) it would be easier to "fine tune"

Big Orange

Reaction score
Just wondering how the kit compares to other kits performance wise? What kind of gains are just the replacement pistons doing?

snobyrd

Reaction score
I ran kelseys drop in kit with head ladt year on my 13 at 4000* with no programer, I did try a box with numbers from 0 to 10% and all it did was fall on its face, ive since removed his kit and bought a bikeman kit with pipe thatmakes more power and they only add 7% on top and 3s and 4s in the mid.

rmscustom

Reaction score
Snobyrd,
I've read all your posts on snowest multiple times and may have even exchanged some PMs with you (cant remember cause I talked to a lot of people before I bought the DI kit from Kelsey). Just seems to me like you had some underlying issues that weren't caused by the DI kit. If memory serves me right you were struggling with clutching and holding rpm? Did you ever return the sled back to stock to see if it ran right? Curious to see how the BMP runs for you. Good luck, keep us posted.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had some serious clutching issues as well. Kelsey wouldnt tell what angles he had cut in the helix. I blew 3 belts in 2 days. Its kind of hard to figure out whats wrong when you dont know what angles your trying to pull. i got rid of his Helix and ran a recommended helix from a few shops. Went with a 73-57 .46 and a red dark blue spring.

I called kelsey for some help and i was told that my power valves were dirty and and that my crank run out was bad and that i should get a new crank. Not sure he knows what hes doing!!

Now that i have the clutching figured out i need to do another trip to see how the motor feels. Let me know how that Bikeman kit works snobyrd!!

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm near the point of not wanting to install the kit as I haven't heard a single story of RK-Tec products/kits running reliable after the install, without a pile extra cost and multiple hours/days spent on tuning and getting settings corrected.

I also heard many stories of guys getting blown off by their customer service.

muddmadness

Reaction score
can anyone with experience with these kits shed more light on this topic. especially with the tuning. a lot of us don't have the luxury of heading up the hill for the afternoon for some tuning pulls. we have to drive for 9 hours to get to the hill and when we are there we want the unit to run flawlessly. not spend half a day playing with a box (and not the fun kind)

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wish i had some more info to help out with. My Pro is a 2012 so i dont need a programmer. Ill be going out next weekend and will report on where the clutching needs to be. In the mean time, talk to some other reputable companies (SLP, Bikeman, etc..) and see what they suggest for a piston and head kit. It might not be exactly were Kelseys "magical numbers" are, but im sure it will be close to where you need to be. Its frustrating when products are sold with no customer service and then we as customers have to do the testing for them. If the sled isnt making good power and getting good tracks speeds, i have no porblem pulling his kit out and running another kit that that has been tested and has clutching and service to back it.

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
I wish i had some more info to help out with. My Pro is a 2012 so i dont need a programmer. Ill be going out next weekend and will report on where the clutching needs to be. In the mean time, talk to some other reputable companies (SLP, Bikeman, etc..) and see what they suggest for a piston and head kit. It might not be exactly were Kelseys "magical numbers" are, but im sure it will be close to where you need to be. Its frustrating when products are sold with no customer service and then we as customers have to do the testing for them. If the sled isnt making good power and getting good tracks speeds, i have no porblem pulling his kit out and running another kit that that has been tested and has clutching and service to back it.

WOW... Really??? No support??? Where is that coming from?? I am on this forum providing any and all information that is asked.. Again, ANY and all questions regarding this kit have been answered and will continue to be answered....yet ,there is no support??? ???

As for "other kit" numbers working? Not likely since they make less than 1/2 the HP that this kit does. But you are welcome to try.. The Drop in kit will out leg the Carls 900 kit And the SLP STAGE 4 (let alone the other lower stages). Funny having all this negativity BEFORE anybody who is posting has actually ridden the sled??

Please run the kit BEFORE you enter a forum with "problems" then AFTER you run the kit.. see if you still have the same concerns... Just makes more sense that way wouldn't ya think??

Top Bottom