Rip Cord broke!!!

funky10

Reaction score
I was trying to start my buddies 02 800 RMK 144" sled and when i pulled it must have hit the compression stroke. Needless to say i went flying with the handle still in my hand and the rope went into the cover. How hard is it to fix this?? It has never happened to me before on the sleds i have owned. Thank-you for any help.

Scott.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Pull the the pipe and then the recoil cover off and as noted above be careful not to let the spring jump out unwind. Check it for wear, now is the time to do repairs as well. Make sure you remember how it looks just in case the spring does jump out. Insert a new rope, knot it and wind it up and prepare to reinstall it.

I usually put the cover on and have someone hold it in place so I can test it and be sure the dogs are catching.

Run the cord up though the tube and tie a half knot in it so it doesn't recoil

The pull cord tends to want to undo the knot you put in it on the recoil and the handle. I suggest to heat the knot so it begins to soften. This way when is cools it's hard and won't release.

Have fun.

GRD

Reaction score
Pull the the pipe and then the recoil cover off and as noted above be careful not to let the spring jump out unwind. Check it for wear, now is the time to do repairs as well. Make sure you remember how it looks just in case the spring does jump out. Insert a new rope, knot it and wind it up and prepare to reinstall it.

I usually put the cover on and have someone hold it in place so I can test it and be sure the dogs are catching.

Run the cord up though the tube and tie a half knot in it so it doesn't recoil

The pull cord tends to want to undo the knot you put in it on the recoil and the handle. I suggest to heat the knot so it begins to soften. This way when is cools it's hard and won't release.

Have fun.

May replace mine this summer, looks like it is starting to ware. Would not be good if it broke on the mountain!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Easy repair. I've had to replace both my sleds cords this year while riding or actually after a the day cause they always break in the mountains....lol...
May replace mine this summer, looks like it is starting to ware. Would not be good if it broke on the mountain!

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you should just park a new sled in his yard. No rope to fix. haha

Sorry buddy...sorry for all the troubles. Like I said, it'll still be there when you go back the next time. Ride it like you stole it.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I beleive its about 5 or 6 bolts on it, be careful when it opens that the springs stay in the casing. This is a good time to put some kind of lubricant on it - i use the graphite dry lubricant on mine when it was apart, only a little is needed, prevents your rope from building up slack after you pull it. Have someone hold the one end of the rope while you put it back on, then just be careful to not let it go and wind back into the cover. Should be fairly simple fix, most of the time is spent taking the pipe off.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have had the spring pop on a buddy in my garage last year, and i laughed my ass off, that thing flies when uncoiled. to coil back up, NOT SO FUNNY!!!!

Top Bottom