rino 530

paparattler

Reaction score
can you create a trail on the rino 530 between 2 gps coordinates?
the rino 530 is supposed to exposed to the open skies for good reception,but being in the house i have full green bars,my question is will the rino 530 work under snow in an avalanche?
paparattler

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will draw most direct route between 2 rhino's. Maybe not a trail as such due to terrain but it will give you location of other rhino. It may work under snow but avy pack is the resource to use properly I would not count on it as avy protection or beacon as that is not it's intent. Search and rescue are setup on beacons not GMRS frequencies.

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also...with the 1 minute update delay on polling your buddies Rino....he'd be long dead before you ever got to him!!! Life saving device maybe, if lost or stuck alone, but not if someones buried!

Maybe an ok device as a "sled bug", if your rino happened to be on your sled, and was buried without the rider!

:cool::beer::beer::cool:

Drunk

Reaction score
exactly, find a stuck peep with your Rino, dig a buddy out of an avalanche with training and a beacon.:beer:

The Snowman

Reaction score
How do you go about putting the rino on an automatic poll for finding your friends?
I know how to poll them manually but if I could set it to poll every couple of minutes would be great!!

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't honestly know if that option exists on a rino Snowman.....but very interested to know if possible! Would save time to have a live position each time you pull the rino from your pocket & have to poll your buddies!

Thinking not possible, due to radio frequency regulations (FCC or CRTC) ?? Which would be why the 1 minute delay is enabled on polling. Not 100% sure!

CHEERS!!!
:cool::beer::beer::cool:

Cliff Clavin

Reaction score
I just picked up a rino 520hcx. An upgrade from my old legend. The hcx option allows for much better reception and quicker satellite reception. Due to FCC regulations you can only poll another rino's location every 30 secs.....really too bad....live location updates without having to do anything or press any buttons would be amazing.....

Top Bottom