Rino 530 communicating with other radios

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought 2) 530 5 watt last year. They seem to work good so far. But a problem that I run into is that the radios don't pick up all radios that are on the same channel. Our group is all on the same channel. Most have Motorolas. I can communicate with some radios and some Motorolas I can't communicate with. I don't get it. Shouldn't the 530 be able to comm. with any radio on the same channel?? Anyone run into this problem or possibly know what the issue is?? :confused:

Thanks..

tool_man

Reaction score
My 530 seems to work well with oher 2 ways haven't heard of any issues. My 110 and 120 work well too?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
radios that are on the same frequency should be able to talk back and forth, some may not have the same range, or may be on a locked channel , rhinos have several subchannels of the same frequency.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^what he said....make sure you either have no security code assigned to your channel, or everyone uses the same one.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
radios that are on the same frequency should be able to talk back and forth, some may not have the same range, or may be on a locked channel , rhinos have several subchannels of the same frequency.

For example We all run on 4 and 2 channel. But when all radios are on the same channels some work and some don't. So I am not sure what you mean by a locked channel if all radios are on the same channels.

Maybe Monday I will call Garmin tech and see if i can get an answer.

Thanks for the replys..

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for every channel from 1-22 on the 530hcx you also have subchannels. 1-10, usually only rhino's have them. or maybe other radios have signal drift. do these radioswork with each other just not the rhino? maybe check with communications group or a radio shop. or look in manual for info. usually will help.

looks like your running on channel 4 sub 2. this is garmin channels, not all radios will have the sub 2, maybe try channel 4 sub 0. most radio's should work

Last edited:

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and a buddy have the rhino 530 - then communicate well - so far we are just getting familiar with them and have been fine tuning them - set each other as contacts and then set the proximity level to 20ft so that it notifies us when there are close - the only problem we have that sometimes they dont update - even though we are very close the GPS map says we are arent??

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Older radios may not be able to send out the number of tones that newer radios can, try setting it to channel 1, code 0.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Older radios may not be able to send out the number of tones that newer radios can, try setting it to channel 1, code 0.

K - will try that . His radio is 3 years old - mine was purchased this year!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and a buddy have the rhino 530 - then communicate well - so far we are just getting familiar with them and have been fine tuning them - set each other as contacts and then set the proximity level to 20ft so that it notifies us when there are close - the only problem we have that sometimes they dont update - even though we are very close the GPS map says we are arent??
Older Rhinos only update when you key the microphone. Newer ones do it on a regular basis. (every 30 Sec or so) My 530 sometimes takes a few times to update on other units.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only way that I can get them to update is by using the microphone ???

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For example We all run on 4 and 2 channel. But when all radios are on the same channels some work and some don't. So I am not sure what you mean by a locked channel if all radios are on the same channels.

Maybe Monday I will call Garmin tech and see if i can get an answer.

Thanks for the replys..

so did you find out what the problem was?

Top Bottom