Has anyone tried these Motorola radios?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://shop.motorolasolutions.com/t800-two-way-radios-dual-pack/product/B8F22204LBHAAW

I really want to know is now that Garmin no longer has a monopoly on "Location Sharing" how good does the feature work with these radios?

It looks like you can text and find your buddies using Bluetooth and the Talkabout app. but how good are the maps and do all your buddies need the same brand of radio and have to have the app running??

The price is good. The power is under 2 Watts so maybe just carry it as a spare radio in your pack and rely on something more powerful for communications?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great alternative to a Rino. As you said a bit weak for regular communication in the mountains though. Could pull it out to locate a buddy who is "just through that next opening and over to the left by the trees" My 1st preference in that situation would be to go inreach to inreach but if not everyone has one these are cheap.

Last edited:

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheap upgrade for location sharing ...might be worth checking out....

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I downloaded the app on my Iphone to see what the mapping was like but without the radio it is not getting past the setup screen. The other interesting thing is that the website eludes to that all the "Talkabout" radios have location sharing and there are several models except only the more expensive model actually lists Bluetooth in the specs to make this possible.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is this one of those concepts that you get what you pay for??

Garmin has been in this business for many years and do a great job. Motorola have been making radios for many years and their better radios are good for communication. Once again, you get what you pay for. There is no doubt in my mind that they will have a learning curve and with that ask yourself the question "do you want to be a part of the curve?"

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this one of those concepts that you get what you pay for??

Garmin has been in this business for many years and do a great job. Motorola have been making radios for many years and their better radios are good for communication. Once again, you get what you pay for. There is no doubt in my mind that they will have a learning curve and with that ask yourself the question "do you want to be a part of the curve?"

Garmin is good but when you need a couple you have to be ready to shell out $1500. And if you use another device for navigation because you have a hard time seeing that tiny screen and you have a more powerful radio for communication, the usefulness gets watered down. I am looking for a device to track my son when he is just through the trees and has fallen down a tree well and I can't see him. Maybe Garmin has been gouging as they were the only fish in the lake for many years?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The zastone 889g puts out 12 watts of power, has 999 channels including vhf and uhf. I never took the time to set up the location part of it though. Now i only have one of these radios. Of coarse this is no input at all on motorola radios.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The zastone 889g puts out 12 watts of power, has 999 channels including vhf and uhf. I never took the time to set up the location part of it though. Now i only have one of these radios. Of coarse this is no input at all on motorola radios.

Fantastic, thanks for the info. I will look into this one also.

Top Bottom