Rig matting

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, any of you fine folks in the know, have any advice on were to buy old rig matting??

I've got a couple soft spots on the drive way, and I'm just curious if this might be a quick, feasible fix.

Located near Medicine Hat, but don't mind driving for a deal. A couple 8x40's would be good. Four would be even better.

Thanks in advance.

79TXL

Reaction score
Not sure about rig matting but there was a bunch of swamp mats on Kijiji last week.
we laid them in our yard about ten years ago where the frost was coming out and causing problems, worked well. Fit together good with no gaps, no steel to run over.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about your setup but 8x40 rig matts when wet are 8000 plus pounds,seems like a pain,swamp matts would be better I would think

Adam31

Reaction score
I agree with the swamp matts, even double them up if you think you need to. A lot cheaper than rig matts and easier to move around.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I come from the land of rock and hard ground...what's the difference between rig and swamp mats?

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I come from the land of rock and hard ground...what's the difference between rig and swamp mats?

Rig matts are usually 8'x4' rectangle. The outsides and middle are 3 or 4 pieces of 4" I beam, with 4"x4" lumber sandwiched between. They are quite rigid.

Swamp matts are usually 8'x10' or there abouts squares, of triple ply 2x8's, bolted together. They usually interlock a little bit.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are a good way to go. Rig matting will run you about $1500 each for used there is a place in Bowden that sells used Matt's, or about $4000 new. Swamp matting will run you about $150 new and a easy fix you can do yourself down the road. Will come down to cost of trucking and what you have to move the pieces around with. For a driveway I would go swamp as well. The gaps can be filled in to make a smoother ride and can be hauled with a pickup on a trailer

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holly crap I googled this and now see where are bc lumber goes...Alberta eats up a ton of fibre to keep things a float.
cool stuff.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rig matts are usually 8'x4' rectangle. The outsides and middle are 3 or 4 pieces of 4" I beam, with 4"x4" lumber sandwiched between. They are quite rigid.

Swamp matts are usually 8'x10' or there abouts squares, of triple ply 2x8's, bolted together. They usually interlock a little bit.
I don't know if I've ever seen a 4'x8' rig mat, and I've hauled thousands of them. most are either 8'x20' or more commonly 8'x40'

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8x40 foot rig mat...roughly $4000 new
image.jpg

8x14 foot swamp or access mat...$800-$1000 new
image.jpg

Check with a company called Strad they have stores all over and possibly some used ones. For your situation go with the access mats.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at anyone before you look at strad. I've been in this game a long time and I promise you STRAD is by far the most expensive going.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at anyone before you look at strad. I've been in this game a long time and I promise you STRAD is by far the most expensive going.
Willy's Trucking up here in PR sells them for $650 each brand new

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good swamp matting can be had at $100 a sheet any more then that you are over paying, rig Matt's from 4x4 to 8x40 should range from $100-1500 unless you go new

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just using Strad as an example because they have stores in several locations. I believe the OP said they were in the Med Hat area??...not sure what is there specifically for matting companies but I'm sure there's lots of trucking or oilfield companies between there and Brooks that would have a few old B grade mats kicking around for cheap.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holly crap I googled this and now see where are bc lumber goes...Alberta eats up a ton of fibre to keep things a float.
cool stuff.

Before it closed the mill in Canal Flats used to do a lot of rig mat material. green 2x8 fir with no drying or planing.

Top Bottom