Riding Clinics

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you go and ride at one of these clinics and come back and your able to go farther into the back country and have more fun while you do it that seems to be a go reason to go to one to me atleast . Its like asking someone why they went to a metalica concert when you could of just bought the album. ts the whole expiernce of riding in a new area riding with a pro and learning new and important manouvers to either make you ride better or even save your life.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an example:

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61665

I did or tried everything these boys did and often was the first to ask or volunteer. In a normal setting I never would have had the balls, but having someone break it down slowly, finding safe terrain where the maneuvers were easier and then critiquing our failures and retries was very reassuring...

snowrideadventures

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowrideadventures.com
I see what you are saying with the farrier aspect of it. Any professional development course is a great idea. I used to compete in rodeo in Steer wrestling, calf roping, and team roping. Took a few clinics to sharpen my skills so I could pull a few more checks. Plus, alot of the time it was worth going just for the amount of runs you could take. $300 for a weekend where you can take 20-30 runs a day is pretty cheap practise. But there was a point to it.........I was competing. If someone on here is racing snowcross and took a Carl Kuster clinic to try and get an edge.......great idea.

But for the average mountain rider to take a "clinic". I just dont get it. So lets say you go, and you get 30% better. So what? Is it so you can have the validating feeling of Chris Burandt saying "hey, your a cool dude......youre a great rider." (cough cough......bring 800 bucks and Ill ride with you again). And then you can go home and ride with your buddies with a feeling of superiority? I dont know. To me it goes against what mountain riding is all about. Just my humble opinion.........maybe Im wrong.

If you improved 30% over the course of a weekend, that is a fairly significant gain. I don't understand what's not to get about this, you're already spending a tremendous amount of money just to do the sport, if anyone gains the confidence and skills to take their riding to the next level, they can enjoy that much more of the mountain and really enhance their experience. Accomplishing new goals and feeling good about your accomplishments is what defines this sport, putting your hard earned money into shinny parts doesn't do that, at least not for me. If someone can help you fast track your progression, there is a tremendous amount of benefit in gaining their knowledge and experience without having to learn it the hard way. Also, the more perspectives you get, the better you will be, think of it as knowledge farming.

Just make sure the operator you select actually has the legal rights to operate in the given area, unless you want your clinic to include having your snowmobile confiscated, being fined and learning to sit comfortably in handcuffs.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what its worth watching Carl Kuster ride at the XM demo tour was worth the price of admission if I would have had to pay for it. I'll never ride as good as him but I thouroughly enjoyed watching him ride and will be paying this winter to do it again. Anybody that doesn't think they can learn even one thing from a Kuster or Brown or Rasmussen is probably pretty full of themself IMO.

Moto-X clinics have been tried and true for manya years and trust me they are WELL worth the money if one wants to get to the next step! There cant be anything wrong with riding with a pro period, id do it in a heartbeat! And plan on it... :)

SledderX

Reaction score
I understand this is not for everybody and thats fine. If you have no interest in going to a riding clinic or think its a waste of time and money then dont bother with this thread. No big deal. Just thought it would be good to have somewhere public to post clinic info as it becomes available because I know there are a lot of people that Are really interested in them to improve there riding and get better.
Thanks guys, I will look into Kusters.

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding clinics may not be for everyone. I do really enjoy teaching technical riding skills and avalanche safety/awareness in my clinics. I will teach a couple AST1 courses this year as well but my primary focus is on the riding clinics with an emphasis on avalanche awareness and safe route planning.

I will have the calendar up on my website next week with clinic dates and locations. As always, the clinics are done with tenure holders in each location. Yes, that does make for more work but it makes everything legal and insured.

We have expanded our tenure areas this year and are excited to ride these awesome zones. Please check Ride With Chris Brown for more info.

Politics aside....I hope everyone had an awesome summer and are ready for another epic winter. Please be safe and have fun out there!!! Don't forget to support Snow and Mud, the CAA and your local club!

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 riding clinic dates set in McBride and Golden.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with SledMamma, having someone break it down and critique you was key for me. Ya, you will eventually learn some of the stuff by just getting out and getting more time on your sled. I took the course with Chris Brown in Golden last year, and having him break everything down helps. You know what you are supposed to be doing in each aspect of the maneuver. He sent me on a line that I would have never tried on my own, and I didn't exactly nail it, if it wasn't for a hole swallowing a ski, I may have got it. But he told me what I could have down to make it easier to do, he went up and demonstrated the same line. Even when has let everyone go practice stuff on their own, he's there to give advice. I would bail, and he would be there to tell me exactly what I could have done to make it. Try it next time, and it works. I certainly plan on attending another one of Chris' clinics this year.

Chris, are you planning on having any clinics in Revi this year? If not I'll be signing up for one of the Golden clinics.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Generally no, some clinics have sleds available for rent on top of the cost of the clinic. You do get a professional photographer, and end up with a disk full of pics at the end, which was awesome.

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have demo sleds available at no charge at my clinics.

To answer your question about Revy...if we can secure tenure for another camp there we will host another one in Revy. We only host clinics with sub-tenure agreements...so they are on a limited basis.

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an example:

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61665

I did or tried everything these boys did and often was the first to ask or volunteer. In a normal setting I never would have had the balls, but having someone break it down slowly, finding safe terrain where the maneuvers were easier and then critiquing our failures and retries was very reassuring...

Wow! Didn't see that thread. Those are beautiful photos.
As far as the clinics go... I think in every sport, you need to be exposed to people better than you to show you what the next level is.

Top Bottom