Rider out of bounds - What would you do?

torpedo

Reaction score
Adios torpedo this is not the site for you,, if you think riding out of bounds is ok then you should reconsider your fun factor in the future!!
Well aren't we all a bunch of good citizens, I'm sure all of you have ,driven without your seat belt, or sped on the highway,or put down a lower price to not pay as much tax,these are all crimes,to bad I wasn't there with my cell phone looking into your vehical at the red light eh? I go out riding and do what I should ,I don't go around figuring out ways to make someone else obey,I worry about my actions,hey the guy asked what people thought he should do ,I voiced my opinion ,and funny thing is your all worred about me ,just like your worred about other riders. maybe if i see someone drinking a beer while out on the trail i should get there licience number and make shur they get busted on there way back to town ? It's people like this that start all these foolish laws in the first place ,after all ,sledders didn't close these areas ,it was someone with a agenda of there own. PEACE> RIDE

W

woodies

let the peeps say there piece!thats the internet!everyone has an opition!noboby will ever agree!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I asked what would you do. Not what should I do.
Yes, drinking alcohol on the trail should be reported. That one I would follow through with cause I don't like guys around me impaired on sleds anymore than I do in their vehicles.

Foolish laws?
Most laws are created because of fools!

Sledders that ride out-of-bounds do close areas.

Well aren't we all a bunch of good citizens, I'm sure all of you have ,driven without your seat belt, or sped on the highway,or put down a lower price to not pay as much tax,these are all crimes,to bad I wasn't there with my cell phone looking into your vehical at the red light eh? I go out riding and do what I should ,I don't go around figuring out ways to make someone else obey,I worry about my actions,hey the guy asked what people thought he should do ,I voiced my opinion ,and funny thing is your all worred about me ,just like your worred about other riders. maybe if i see someone drinking a beer while out on the trail i should get there licience number and make shur they get busted on there way back to town ? It's people like this that start all these foolish laws in the first place ,after all ,sledders didn't close these areas ,it was someone with a agenda of there own. PEACE> RIDE

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Torpedo I agree that a lot of these places are at risk of being close because agendas weather its environmentalists, or politicians, or who ever. I just think as sledders we should all work in not giving them any ammo to close it down. I am not going out there to be a cop, but I will let someone now when they are out of bounds. I just hope they respect the riding area enough to do whats right. I am all for the ride and to be out there and having fun, I just hope my kids will have the same opportunity.:d

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Riding out of bounds like this??? Lol :

Attachments

• snowandmud.com 1st annual mountain mania 071.JPG
    snowandmud.com 1st annual mountain mania 071.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 56

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think the more people rat , the more times its brought up to the feds,the quicker it's a problem .I say mind your own buisness ,do what you should ,enjoy riding ,look at the scenery and leave your social problems in the city,instead of [ O look someones breaking the law] how about [ O look a jump I can hit].

And I bet you're the first to complain about a closure!! :realmad: If more people stood up and confronted the misplaced riders than there would be less talk about snowmobile related closures, riding on heli skiing chutes, crosscountry ski trails, just add fuel to the fire.

torpedo

Reaction score
I asked what would you do. Not what should I do.
Yes, drinking alcohol on the trail should be reported. That one I would follow through with cause I don't like guys around me impaired on sleds anymore than I do in their vehicles.

Foolish laws?
Most laws are created because of fools!

Sledders that ride out-of-bounds do close areas.
Ok so your asking what we would do? care to share with us what you did ?

torpedo

Reaction score
And I bet you're the first to complain about a closure!! :realmad: If more people stood up and confronted the misplaced riders than there would be less talk about snowmobile related closures, riding on heli skiing chutes, crosscountry ski trails, just add fuel to the fire.

I bet you couldn't bet a thing about me ,I bet I could lay a track down you could only hope to follow.I'm a snowmobiler not a complainer. I have never heard of a area being closed due to sledders not behaveing ,do you know of such a situation? Iv'e heard of noise bylaws,Iv'e heard of speed limits, Ive heard of air polution ,I've heard of cariboo ,this hypothsis that areas get shut down because sledders don't behave is ludacris ,still I would recomend that people should follow the laws even if they make no sense.It's up to the individual as to whether there going ruin someone elses day that has different values than you ,or be a real person by setting a good example and doing what you feel you should,not forcing your opinions or values on others by sickin the heat on them.You will find a real burden lifted when you learn to worry about you ,not every body elses faults.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so your asking what we would do? care to share with us what you did ?

I answered that question on page 1.

Forestry does fly around and record tracks in out of bounds areas. Especially a national park. If they feel that sledders aren't abiding by some pretty basic rules then what do you think their next step would be. Probably remove the management rights from the Golden Snowmobile Club because they obviously have not managed it properly.

I didn't start this thread to start arguments. I started this thread to remind people there are boundaries. I made it easy and included a map so there's no mistake. And, I have always wondered where the boundary runs at the end the prairie hills area on the west side. Most would assume that if the boundary runs along the ridge on every other side maybe it does on this one too. Now I know it doesn't and it's legal to ride on the other side of that ridge. Everyone else does too.
I didn't wave anyone over, ride in or any of that. I like to think that if I can spot a sign anyone can. I decided to approach it another way here.

torpedo

Reaction score
I answered that question on page 1.

Forestry does fly around and record tracks in out of bounds areas. Especially a national park. If they feel that sledders aren't abiding by some pretty basic rules then what do you think their next step would be. Probably remove the management rights from the Golden Snowmobile Club because they obviously have not managed it properly.

I didn't start this thread to start arguments. I started this thread to remind people there are boundaries. I made it easy and included a map so there's no mistake. And, I have always wondered where the boundary runs at the end the prairie hills area on the west side. Most would assume that if the boundary runs along the ridge on every other side maybe it does on this one too. Now I know it doesn't and it's legal to ride on the other side of that ridge. Everyone else does too.
I didn't wave anyone over, ride in or any of that. I like to think that if I can spot a sign anyone can. I decided to approach it another way here.

As fellow sledders its nice to feel kinda like family,these folks all saying you should rat and teach him a lesson .We need to suport each other,and be cool.
sounds like you did the right thing,helped out by posting a map.It's allright to say something to them, but if they don't listen O well you tried,a person doesn't have to go off and punish them ,by sickin dad on them. If there cool enough to ride sleds,there probably just a little misguided, not a criminal in need of correction.It works better to teach by showing the right way ,not by beating it in to someone till they listen or else.anyway peace man.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding out of bounds like this??? Lol :

We'll give you a warning on that one. You mistakenly staged in the park and didn't know until you got to Quartz. Those signs should really be double sided for cases like yours. :)

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We'll give you a warning on that one. You mistakenly staged in the park and didn't know until you got to Quartz. Those signs should really be double sided for cases like yours. :)

LOL I seen Summitric at the last suds night, I am guessing he doesn't ride with his glasses on!!...sorry Ric had to say it...lmao:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.....these folks all saying you should rat and teach him a lesson .We need to suport each other,and be cool......a person doesn't have to go off and punish them ,by sickin dad on them.

The authorities have already heard too many excuses from sledders which is why they will ticket first and ask questions later. Way too many guys riding out of bounds intentionally (or unintentionally) and then try and act dumb when they get caught - "Duhhh, really?? its closed? I never saw the sign....".

Its sledders responsibility to know where we can and cannot ride. In this day and age of internet and forums like this and all the information available out there and all of our land dispute issues, there is absolutely no reason for people to say that they were not informed. That is about the worst excuse I have heard. Get on the internet and look up the Golden club site, it has all the information needed. Stop at Motortech and talk to the local guys, they can help too. OR BETTER YET - STOP AND READ THE TRAIL SIGN THAT IS RIGHT ON THE SIDE OF THE TRAIL IN PLAIN VIEW. If you are still not sure, ask a question or two. Area closures are a way of life for sledders and people are naive if they think otherwise.

Sledders can get areas closed, make no mistake about it. Fish and Game/Wildlife officers fly around in the chopper and can see the sled tracks, which is why they know that sledders have been there and that the area should be closed due to caribou habitat, etc. If there weren't any sled tracks and no evidence that sledders use an area or could even access it, why would they bother to close it? Its not just some guy in an office that draws lines on a map.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As fellow sledders its nice to feel kinda like family,these folks all saying you should rat and teach him a lesson .We need to suport each other,and be cool.
sounds like you did the right thing,helped out by posting a map.It's allright to say something to them, but if they don't listen O well you tried,a person doesn't have to go off and punish them ,by sickin dad on them. If there cool enough to ride sleds,there probably just a little misguided, not a criminal in need of correction.It works better to teach by showing the right way ,not by beating it in to someone till they listen or else.anyway peace man.

I agree with your comments. Every sledder probably does something that is not exactly legal and maybe others don't agree with. If we all start ratting on one another, I think it would be naive to believe that the authorities will say "oh look at those responsible snowmobilers, aren't they great, upstanding people." I belive they'll just use it as fuel for their intolerant attitude towards sledding in general. Let's face it, sledding does not harm the environment, especially when there is several feet of snow, as in the mountains. Animals get used to machines just as easily (probably even easier) as humans. It's just intolerance to our sport from others that don't do it that is the problem. While I agree that it's not a good idea to deliberately ride in closed areas (no point in poking the bear in the eye as it were), I've got no use for a bunch of holier than thou, self-righteous rats either. There has to be a better way. Perhaps if the sledding (and quadding) community started standing up for itself and challenging some of these closures in court (we could all chip in for the court battle) instead of quaking in fear all the time of what "might happen" some wouldn't be so quick to start calling the authorities. I wonder if those of you that have said you're going to call the feds have the guts to tell the other sledder that to their face. In my experience, usually you don't.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
waaaaa, waaaaaa, waaaaa, tooooo funny

ride it like ya stole it,in bounds

oh ya waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, wuhhhhhhh, waaaaaaa;)

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Ever heard of a section "58" it`s a leagal closure. It gives a tenured operator exclusive rights to an area, it means you the general public have to keep out or you will be fined. You see them in a lot of areas now because riders don`t follow the rules. We all get painted with the same brush when riders can`t read or don`t give a chit.
You can bet if I ever catch you in a Mtn. Caribou closure area here in Revy I will report you. I know people who have worked way to hard and long to keep these mtns. open for us all to ride. As well as club members who volunteer their time to patrol mtns. here with caribou habitat closures each season to ensure the mtns. continue to be open to ride in the future to have a d!ckhead wreck it for the rest of us. :rant:
We have just been through 3 yrs. of negotiations, maybe I`m a bit edgey but no more warnings from me. :beer:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with your comments. Every sledder probably does something that is not exactly legal and maybe others don't agree with. If we all start ratting on one another, I think it would be naive to believe that the authorities will say "oh look at those responsible snowmobilers, aren't they great, upstanding people." I belive they'll just use it as fuel for their intolerant attitude towards sledding in general. Let's face it, sledding does not harm the environment, especially when there is several feet of snow, as in the mountains. Animals get used to machines just as easily (probably even easier) as humans. It's just intolerance to our sport from others that don't do it that is the problem. While I agree that it's not a good idea to deliberately ride in closed areas (no point in poking the bear in the eye as it were), I've got no use for a bunch of holier than thou, self-righteous rats either. There has to be a better way. Perhaps if the sledding (and quadding) community started standing up for itself and challenging some of these closures in court (we could all chip in for the court battle) instead of quaking in fear all the time of what "might happen" some wouldn't be so quick to start calling the authorities. I wonder if those of you that have said you're going to call the feds have the guts to tell the other sledder that to their face. In my experience, usually you don't.

Just a question... You say that we could all chip in in court... but do you have a membership for every area you ride in?

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a question... You say that we could all chip in in court... but do you have a membership for every area you ride in?

In areas where I am using a trail that someone is maintaining, yes. Nothing this year as there's no snow here:(

I don't get to go to the mountains as much as I'd like, so much of my riding is in areas that aren't part of a trail system, so that's not really applicable in those cases. I do believe in supporting the clubs/organizations that are maintaining trails that I would ride on, I think that's only fair.

My point about the court thing is that we as sledders may come to the point that we have to start to fight for our rights, and I would be willing to help in that regard if it ever came to it. I hear the refrain "it's not a right to ride but a priviledge." I hate that phrase. It makes it sound like the government is going us a favor by allowing us to ride here in Canada, but what a bunch of hogwash. Last time I checked, public land is owned by the people, and is for all people, not just a select few. We don't live in the old Communist Soviet Union here, at least I didn't think we did. Powder Puff's earlier comments about negotiating riding areas is commendable, but tenures are not given to keep sledders out of areas, they are a land use right, similar to a Lease in Alberta, for a specific purpose, and you have to get permission to be in there from the Tenure holder, regardless of what you want to do, same as a Lease in Alberta. Making it sound like people just take out Tenures to keep others out is not really accurate, at least that is my experience in investigating a major pipeline route in BC.

I'm not going to deliberately ride in closed areas, but if I'm riding in an area that's closed by mistake, (and don't say there's no excuse because EVERYONE makes mistakes and misreads signs, etc.) I'm not going to think too kindly of someone who calls the cops on me without even the courtesy of attempting to show me the error of my ways. I know I'd at least do that for a fellow sledder, but not sure if everyone here feels the same way.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have problem with this. National parks have been off limits for years, if you don't know this, where the h--- have you been. All of the clubs that have groomed trails have management agreements with forestry. These can be pulled at anytime, if you as a sledder are accessing the park using the trail, it could be seen as a way of stopping this by pulling the agreement. THERE GOES ANOTHER AREA. My point here is NATIONAL PARKS have been off limits for years. Wave them over and be a good citizen for our sport and let them know they are in an out of bounds posted area.
We need everyones help to keep playing in the areas that we have left.
Don't make it harder for us to keep them.
THANK'S IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.
PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN.

Top Bottom