ride opinion of 2011 e tec

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About the new E-tec.
We were able to ride the sled on Sunday at Gorman in Golden. The first thing I noticed about the sled is it idles at 1300 rpm, it is very, very quiet at idle, it even sounds like a little bw 50 scooter while warming up. The second you get on the sled you immediately notice how narrow the front end is, everything else feels like the old xp, until you push your thumb to the bar.

The new e-tec system lets the 800 rev very quickly, you’re at 8200 rpm before you know it, the power comes on very smooth and pulls very hard all the way to 8200 with no sign off, just clean, smooth hp from the crack of the throttle, no bog, no hesitation just pure power to the ground. After the full day of riding, the new sled had way more gas left than the 2010s we had out to compare it to, and it used way less oil as well. The other thing I noticed is the lack of stinky, smoky exhaust; you could stand beside the exhaust at idle and not even know if it was running if another sled was idling beside it.
We did many “up hill” drag races and the e-tec easily handed any mildly modded xp its ass and consistently pulled a 2010 m8 with a by 3 lengths, time after time.
I believe the + 10 hp is not bullch!t and for only $ 1000 more than a 800 r power tec engine equipped sled ( if anybody can get 10 hp out of sled for $ 1000 let me know) it’s worth the extra money.
As for the handling BRP have really up’d the ante, the much narrower stance and new skis make this thing too easy to side hill(compared to a 2010 with the sway bar removed) I had to smooth out my riding style and use about 1/3 less effort to get the 2011 on its side. Where I had to get both feet on one side of my 2010, lean hard, and lead with my head, I could just flick the skis and keep my feet on different sides of the sled on the 2011. It would go the same place with so much less effort, it was actually scary at first but after a few min I did not want to give it back.
Another thing I found to be and advantage was the new track, I would get me out of “close ones” where I would have been digging on my 2010.
Anyhow I thought I would share my thoughts for those who are considering a new ride for next season.
Sorry I did not get any good photo's of it, as it was overcast most of the day, but I did get some of the freeride which I will post at another time...

SKI-D00

Reaction score
Any idea what that computer would cost to replace? I’m thinking about trading but I’m kind of worried about glitches or complete failure after it’s off warranty. And if necessary, how much would you expect a whole new drop in E Tec motor to be… y’know, just in case :cool:

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any idea what that computer would cost to replace? I’m thinking about trading but I’m kind of worried about glitches or complete failure after it’s off warranty. And if necessary, how much would you expect a whole new drop in E Tec motor to be… y’know, just in case :cool:
I dont know the answer to all your questions, but usually in the case of swapping everything, your better off selling your current sled and buying a new one if you value your time as money.......the xp has gotten alot better than it was when first introduced, the rear suspension is lightyears better, it steers better, the clutching is way better, the chasis is stronger, and with the new sled getting a more narrow stance, better skis and better track by the time you add up all the changes to make the sled easier for you to ride and more its more durable. But do what you feel is best for your budget....

SKI-D00

Reaction score
LOL! I’m not looking and transforming my 2010 into a 2011, I was just curious how much more this system would cost to repair and whatnot as compared to my current sled. If the new motor/fuel injection set up are crazy expensive to repair, I wouldn’t trade, but if it wasn’t, I think I would. That’s what I was getting at. Sorry for the confusion.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.....( if anybody can get 10 hp out of sled for $ 1000 let me know) .....

I don't think its as much about the added HP as it is the fuel mileage and reduced emissions. With the higher pressure, the atomization is so much greater that the fuel mileage is amazing for an 800 2 stroke, and the fact that the fuel charge is injected into the cylinder AFTER the exhaust port is closed is really where the emissions come down a long way. As you noticed in your test ride. :) The efficiency of the motor allows it to make extra HP, but I want to see BRP back this system up big time, because as stated, I don't think its going to be cheap to fix. The fuel pressures are extremely high at the injectors.

While the extra HP is nice, $1000 for 10 HP shouldn't be too hard.... hehe :D

that being said - I still think its an amazing sled and would love to own one. :D

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What gives you 10 extra hp on an 800 p-tec? A pipe and reeds is both more money and less hp I think. A head and pipe would get you 10hp but again, more than $1000 isn't it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What gives you 10 extra hp on an 800 p-tec? A pipe and reeds is both more money and less hp I think. A head and pipe would get you 10hp but again, more than $1000 isn't it.

Any competent engine builder that understands the squish angle, radius, band width and clearance can shave your stock head ($150-200), you don't need to buy fancy aftermarket bling that comes with a shiny new head cover and fancy aftermarket logo on it. Most people want everyone to see that they have an aftermarket head, which is why they get the bling. I'd clean up the transfer ports and transitions myself (free), jet it properly (leaner - $10 for jets) and add a pipe (Dynoport $399). For another $200 you can add a Y pipe also and maybe pick up 1-2 more HP.

Head = 2-3 HP
Port clean up = maybe 1 HP at most but better flow
Re-jet = maybe 1-2 HP
Pipe = 6-7 HP

You don't even need to clean up the transfers, you can leave it alone and pick up about 10 HP for around $1000.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info, thanks. Do a lot of people do this or do most just do more simple bolt on stuff for more money/same results?

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I swore I would not take a chance on a first production year model again, but I really want two new ones. It seemed weird to buy buy the carb models when I knew the injected version was just around the corner, despite how well they perform. The xp was the first sled that I jumped on that felt like home. The idea that they have worked out the bugs or even improved on it sounds great to me.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info, thanks. Do a lot of people do this or do most just do more simple bolt on stuff for more money/same results?

Since this thread is about the 2011 E-Tec ride impression, I'm not going to send it too far off topic but I will say that any added $$$ you throw at a sled to make extra HP is worthless unless you can get it to the ground, so spending $1000 on your 09 XP to make 10 HP more is worthless unless you can put the power to the ground.

I'll send you a PM on how you can pick up a few more ponies from your sled, for under $20.

nielsy

Reaction score
i wouldn't worry too much the e-tec has been run on the 600 for 2 years already and the technology is taken from brp's outboard engines i would still be concerned about clutch and engine which i think they need to improve just my 2cents

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
was this the same e-tec that came from a&e and went to bow cycle. I rode that one a few weeks ago in corbin. It was very hard starting after engine was good and hot and had sat for a few minutes, also every once in a while it would fall on its face and sputter then pop and pick back up. it was explained to me that that was something to do with the same issue as the hot start issue. I did notice the narrow front end right away as i did a sick tree line my first ride an rolled it after about 10 sec. Dave did narrow it up even more the next day by moving the ski bushings. the thing i dont like is a computer messing with set up and i have already heard a pile of comments like a reflash will fix that. i will say it did pull nice and my buddies 860 didnt completely anialate it so i can beleive the 10 horse gain is true. Fuel was deffinetly better and alot less oil used. I am sticking with my 04 rev one more year as i think it is still a better machine, it is not stock mind you but has a ton more torque than the new e tech. For an everyday just pull and ride sled the e tech will be great but for those of us who are looking for a little more i think the carb engine will be a better choice. just my opinion.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was this the same e-tec that came from a&e and went to bow cycle. I rode that one a few weeks ago in corbin. It was very hard starting after engine was good and hot and had sat for a few minutes, also every once in a while it would fall on its face and sputter then pop and pick back up. it was explained to me that that was something to do with the same issue as the hot start issue. I did notice the narrow front end right away as i did a sick tree line my first ride an rolled it after about 10 sec. Dave did narrow it up even more the next day by moving the ski bushings. the thing i dont like is a computer messing with set up and i have already heard a pile of comments like a reflash will fix that. i will say it did pull nice and my buddies 860 didnt completely anialate it so i can beleive the 10 horse gain is true. Fuel was deffinetly better and alot less oil used. I am sticking with my 04 rev one more year as i think it is still a better machine, it is not stock mind you but has a ton more torque than the new e tech. For an everyday just pull and ride sled the e tech will be great but for those of us who are looking for a little more i think the carb engine will be a better choice. just my opinion.
yes, it was the same sled, all dealers who were interested were given the chance to take it out for the day. Once hot, the sled took 6 pulls to start.... it's only a prototype so I was not to worried. We did not ever have a situation where it fell on it's face and then powered up again nor did the 12 or more people that rode it last
Sunday, but it was perhaps happier being ridden in Golden than Corbin. lol just kidding.

m8magic

Reaction score
i figured that new etec would be a winner..alot of people were telling me it wouldn;t run as well as you experienced..but willikers..one plus one equals two...and that sled seems to have done some homework..im a die hard cat fan but i would easily upgrade to this new doo

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Steel town, your description of performance difference from the 800R to the 800 etec sounds exactly like a stock 800R comparison to an 800R with a DJ clutch kit and clean clutches with proper set up. An 800R with clutch kit and can and still have a couple hundred left in the bank. Etec will be a hard sell to the tuners for the first couple years until the computer can be tampered with (like a diesel truck chip). Although I'll be getting one anyways to ensure I can get everything out of it, stock to stock I'm sure it's an improvement....but then again they left a lot on the table with the stock calibrated 800R summits. It will be much more interesting when the new chassis hits the slopes. Ooops did I say that out loud??

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These models have a 3 year engine warranty available. Would this include the electronics?

I have a good feeling this machine/motor will be a winner.

Drop the hammer;
It's a no brainer when the new chassis will be for doo.// Look at the history....:rolleyes:

trailblazer

Reaction score
Was told that the E-tec that was having grief,came from Manitoba and,well i don't want to say too much,but let's say it wasn't set up really well.all the others were strong running and continue to be.no hard starting after getting hot etc..they'll be a winner,i'm sure that before they hit the ground in the fall the'll have have better clutching and maybe a better pipe?when you consider the low dollar rebates the price is right inline with pricing history,especially with a 3yr warranty!!

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to ride with the e-Tec 154" around McBride last weekend. It was more than expected in all elements, and never missed a single beat. It outran and outclimbs, and outhandled every other sled that it got compared to, and there were many. Another leading-edge homerun from BRP. As for other brand-biased sledders, hang on, in 3 to 5 years, your ride of choice might come close to this. Sledding just moved up one more notch!

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to ride with the e-Tec 154" around McBride last weekend. It was more than expected in all elements, and never missed a single beat. It outran and outclimbs, and outhandled every other sled that it got compared to, and there were many. Another leading-edge homerun from BRP. As for other brand-biased sledders, hang on, in 3 to 5 years, your ride of choice might come close to this. Sledding just moved up one more notch!
Right on man, I loved it too. The clutching was on par but not as good as my DJ set up 2010, but stock cluching is stock clutching, so.......

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldn't quite agree with you on that. This proto 154 out-pulled and out-climbed good 163 with DJ kit. From my experience, the DJ kit is a good improvement for 2010 & older XP's (gotta watch the RPM not going over onto the Rev limiter tho). It might also work on the 2011's once all shakes out, but we'll see that next year. The e-Tec had all on the hill in awe! And came back down with 115 hard & deep kms on it, still on main tank...win...win! Started 1st or 2nd pull hot or cold or after being on it's lid.

Top Bottom