Rhino rack and pinion.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So now my rack and pinion is broken right at the center housing. Yamaha dealer tells me that is the weak link on the Rhino. I did not know this. Apparently a lot of folks replace them with a HD rack and pinion before they break.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
So now my rack and pinion is broken right at the center housing. Yamaha dealer tells me that is the weak link on the Rhino. I did not know this. Apparently a lot of folks replace them with a HD rack and pinion before they break.

I did not know that either ........... mine has an annoying squeak so that might be an option anyways. I just finished both front bearings and a arms etc. It doesn't look like a big job. :beer::d:beer:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not know that either ........... mine has an annoying squeak so that might be an option anyways. I just finished both front bearings and a arms etc. It doesn't look like a big job. :beer::d:beer:

I take it you have jacked up the front of the Rhino and when you turn the steering wheel you can hear a squeak? If so it might be the rubber has broke free on one side and is squeeking or the metal housing is broke like mine did and that causes the rubber to squeak. Jake it up take a flash light and have a good look on both sides. I'll post a pic of mine.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The broken assembly.

Attachments

• 004 [1280x768].jpg
    004 [1280x768].jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 89

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I take it you have jacked up the front of the Rhino and when you turn the steering wheel you can hear a squeak? If so it might be the rubber has broke free on one side and is squeeking or the metal housing is broke like mine did and that causes the rubber to squeak. Jake it up take a flash light and have a good look on both sides. I'll post a pic of mine.

Thats exactly it! I will have a closer look ....... might be ordering the same thing!! :d

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly it! I will have a closer look ....... might be ordering the same thing!! :d

If you do have to replace it, go to the Hunterworks website and watch the how to vid. Todd does a really good job of explaining how to do it for the less than ideal mechanic such as myself.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention: When you have that R&P out, that is a good time to grease that hard to get to front drive shaft U-joint. I tried to grease that sucker last summer and could not get grease into it. With the R&P out no problem.:d

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would this breakage cause the steering to feel like you have improper camber or caster and wander when you are steering? Im gonna hafta take a look.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would this breakage cause the steering to feel like you have improper camber or caster and wander when you are steering? Im gonna hafta take a look.

Yes it will. The way I noticed something was wrong with mine was the steering was sticky every once in a while. Before I jacked the front end up to do an inspection I look at the machine from head on and noticed both front wheels were off camber and toed in/out.

motrhed

Reaction score
Alot of the guys in the states use the Rackzilla

And... some of us Canadians!!
Check your frame where the rack mounts, mine was bent and needed to be straightened and reinforced. The Rackzilla is very beefy and works great... now start saving up for some HD spindles as they are the next weakest link!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And... some of us Canadians!!
Check your frame where the rack mounts, mine was bent and needed to be straightened and reinforced. The Rackzilla is very beefy and works great... now start saving up for some HD spindles as they are the next weakest link!

Spindles next? Are you kidding? HD spindles are $500.00. Man what next?

That must have been a bugger of a job to straighten and reinforce the frame. Hope mines ok.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got the new Rackzilla. It is a very nice looking product. However is it ever a crap load to install. That long bolt that they send to replace one of the 4 originals is just a bad engineering design. The front ujoint is in the way. Todd at Hunterworks SAYS you can turn the drive shaft to get the ujoint in just the right place. I spent hours trying to get that thing in. I could get the bolt in without the rack on but could not tighten it because the ujoint is in the way. Ended up having to drop the front diff to get it on.

Attachments

• 005 [1280x768].jpg
    005 [1280x768].jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 78

motrhed

Reaction score
Spindles next? Are you kidding? HD spindles are $500.00. Man what next?

That must have been a bugger of a job to straighten and reinforce the frame. Hope mines ok.

Spindles next? Yup! The spindle steering arms are weaker than the Rackzilla and the HD tie rods, therefore the steering arms now start to bend when impacted hard. If the bent arms are left too long, it will cause your new HD heim joints to bend also (this is spoken from experience). I have already replaced 2 of the heim joints and now have a set of Trinity Racing spindles (best bang for the buck!). Maybe the steering wheel will break next:nono:???

Yes... it was a b!tch to straighten:tearhairout: because there's no room to work!!
Reinforcing it was fairly straight forward though...
Good Luck and hopefully your mount is straight!

fagundes

Reaction score
After you straighten the frame where the rack mounts how did yo reinforce it. Cause i have 2008 rhino that bent where the rack mounts. Let me know snowdin if you can pealse. Thanks

Top Bottom