rhino 700 coolant issue

Grizzlytwin

Reaction score
I have an '09 700 rhino. I overheated it once in the summer time and now I cannot keep antifreeze in the overflow. I cannot locate where it is disappearing? Any thoughts? It does not continue to overheat at all. I looked at the plug and it does not appear to be steaming it as the plug is good color. The crankcase oil is normal color, I changed it.

thoughts??

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take it u have checked the obvious
hoses, rad cap, etc, does it show steaming out the exhaust? Have you driven it with the engine cowling off to observe any leaks? Does the rad fan stay on continuously or does it cycle normally? Have you pressure tested the cooling system to see if it will hold a pressure around (13lbs) for a certain amount of time. Can you smell any antifreeze when you are around the machine?

Don

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the mechanical seal in the pump is generally the issue on the grizzly 700's. Just split the pump, but its best to do both gaskets/seals at the same time.

Rhino-Virus

Reaction score
Yes, If hard to find any signs - most likely water pump. I have done my waterpump on my Rhino 700, Less than 800km and only 7 months Old.

They have a small hose off the pump that drains from behind the mechanical seal (only when worn out) yet they hide the dump spot by the gas tank and so I could never see the fluid on the floor, Washed out will driving and soaked up with all the dirt when stopped. Very small leak, but the systems does not hold much.

My biggest gripe is the water pump repair requires the complete side of the engine/trans houseing to be removed. (Passenger seat side)

Definetly need to buy a complete kit, including oil seal, gasket and mechanical seal kit as well as trans cover gasket. I wish they had a simiar system to the Kodiak I have, as the pump can be removed seperately, much cleaner and quicker.

apex69

Reaction score
there is a hose located under the pasenger foot board thats where u will see the coolant leak if its the water pump. top off the rad and bottle start the unit let it run till the fan starts if theres coolant driping from the floor of the unit its the pump seal

Top Bottom