2015 outty 500 ovetheating

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s a 2015 outlander 500 with dps. I’ve never had an overheating issue with it before.
Took it out for a recovery mission yesterday. it was about -8C. No big mud puddles or anything like that. The quad started giving me the overheat limp home message about half an hour in. I rode it a bit with the message on to get to the stuck quad. When we had my quad setup to start winching i turned the quad off. Got rigged up fired it back up I’d say 15 minutes later and it was fine for the winching(I was feathering the throttle). Once the other quad was on dry land I repositioned to yank it around and then my overheating light began again. At one point the quad actually shut itself down, I thought the fan was working but turns out it was the sound of coolant boiling (normally I would have shut it off myself and waited for it to cool but my judgement was clouded by a few wobbly pops lol).

The headlights do work so I am thinking the fan issue is with the switch or relay itself? I have seen some fan bypass switch vids on YouTube so I’ll be doing that mod once it warms up a bit, perhaps next season. According to google I may have a air bubble in the system, I will look into that as well. Is there anything else you guys can think of that’s causing this overheating issue?

thanks in advance !

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Start with Fan test. My 800 gen one went through a fan. My reny 1000 has 8000 km.on it’s 3rd fan. They are cheap.
I’d guess the fan is done.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, I’ll check the fan fuse. Any of you guys have a pdf manual for these quads?

I have bent a few fans with the pressure washer:/ but I did that a few months ago it has been until this time, and it was colder out. Are you saying I should pull the rad out to wash the backside of it?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get yourself one of these. https://www.amazon.ca/Thexton-THE46...ocphy=9001407&hvtargid=pla-567474396216&psc=1

They are spendy for what you're getting but for flushing radiators and coolers out with nothing more than hose pressure, they work slick. Definitely a handy tool to have, no bent fins and your radiator is clean. I did my old 2012 Dodge Cummins and it was amazing how much crud that thing's cooling group held and I kept it clean (or so I thought!).

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google “radiator genie”. Made for agricultural equipment but works fantastic on atv’s. Pressure easily adjusted for both air and water to avoid damaging the radiator fins.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You’ll cry at how fun it is to get the G2 rad out, so any other way to get it clean is highly recommend.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sure the manufactures do that on purpose so the average joe has to take it to a dealer like changing a headlight bulb on a vehicle up too 2 hours on some

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hon Hon Hon Tabernack!! Me engineer in Quebec they don like wer I put ray-dee-ate-tore.....Silly western pay me more.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: zal
Top Bottom