Revy avalanche...Sugarbowl

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grabbed this shot off another site..buddy says this came down on the 16th..anybody know of this ...see ya in revy next week...

Attachments

• sugar bowl revy.jpg
    sugar bowl revy.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 217

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW~! I hope this was naturally triggered and nobody was injured while attempting to crest. That is not good. Play safe to all.

Veedy

Reaction score
Website
www.farwestfilms.com
this was not a natural slide. Sugar bowl usually slides, but not right to the rocks. Like most of the slides this year, they are going deep slab and with devestating results.
There were a couple marks in the bowl, and one in particular that stood out as the culprit trigger. Whoever was climbing in there under these conditions is (1) lucky and (2) stupid. Take a look in Heli bowl where the whole face ripped out and took out a huge section of old growth. trees that were 3 and 4 feet and the butt were turned into kindling. be careful out there, people depend on you to come home, and not in a bag.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
qouted from Veedy - Whoever was climbing in there under these conditions is (1) lucky and (2) stupid.

Could not have said it better Veedy..... I also heard there were slides in the Bullpen, and guys trying to climb in there....:nono:

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Knew that woul slide, I set one off last March in the exact same spot. And that was when conditions weren't listed at Extreme. No way I would be going up there now.:nono:

budlite

Reaction score
qouted from Veedy - Whoever was climbing in there under these conditions is (1) lucky and (2) stupid.

Could not have said it better Veedy..... I also heard there were slides in the Bullpen, and guys trying to climb in there....:nono:

SO? this message is too shoort i guess

Veedy

Reaction score
Website
www.farwestfilms.com
I rode Boulder for the past 3 days and there was no slide activity in the bull pen. The whole lower bull pen had slid naturally and ripped out right to the rocks. All the danger area was then previously spent. The inner chutes themselves had not slid, but they normally do not slide. They are mostly too steep to accumulate any amount of snow worth sliding and have a ton of adhesion with the rock faces being so close. Any slide in those chutes would not accumulate to be much and would fan out at the bottom.
Upper bull pen is another story. Yes, a couple of guys climbed in there, and yes it was probably not the smartest thing to do, but the snowpack was tested at the top and would not fail, that's not to say it wouldn't fail 300' from there...
everyone we ride with is prepared with beacons, shovels, probes and knowledge. Everyone in the crew rides with an ABS bag and knows the consequences of their actions. ( I dont ride with an ABS bag because of all my camera gear, but I also don't climb the stuff they do. )
In the 3 days of temperature inversion the snowpack has changed a lot. But there is still a weak layer lingering, and the wind loaded south face slopes will be the worst.

Have a look in the airport.... not one chute touched.... ticking time bomb.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for the sugar bowl to slide, it was pretty well expected on that face, glad noone was injured. Anyone seen turbo recently to see if it has let go or if that cornice on the top is dangerously large yet ? just curious :) Iv been in upper bullpen after a slide, this is another area im waiting to hear about letting go, not a huge amount of snow will come down there but it will happen.

Ride safe everyone and come home alive.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This did come down on the morning of the 16th, about 2 minutes before we got there. The group that was sitting at the bottom, indicated that they witnessed it come down, as the superstar that set it off rode away over the top. When I got there and rode over the edge of the runout, it was still quite soft.

Attachments

• 2009 revy 1 006.jpg
    2009 revy 1 006.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 137

Veedy

Reaction score
Website
www.farwestfilms.com
turbo hill has not come down yet. It had lots of stocker high marks ( dumb ). You can tell the stock marks from the turbo marks because the turbo marks are straight up and over, and the stocker marks are " highmarks " we all sat at the bottom with 250+ hp turbo sleds and shook our heads. Dropped down and played in the trees. It's a little harder to make turbo hill come down because it sees no sunshine, but the top is wind loaded and corniced heavily. If it drops, it will wipe out the " parking area " at the bottom, so point her sideways to the hill and get your rope pulling hand ready like quick draw McGraw, lol.

Kevin George

Reaction score
I have seen Turbo Hill slide before and when it's done, there is a huge pile of snow at the bottom. My advice would be, stay off of Turbo in these conditions.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grabbed this shot off another site..buddy says this came down on the 16th..anybody know of this ...see ya in revy next week...

That's my picture. We didn't see the slide, however, I don't recall it being there Thursday, but was there Friday. I'm not very experienced in the mountains, and maybe shouldn't spout off, but with the conditions that are out there, I found it quite unbelieveable that on Saturday there was one fella who clumbed right alongside the slid area and rode right across the top where it slid out and continued his path upward. High altitude must take common sense away from some people.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
this did come down on the morning of the 16th, about 2 minutes before we got there. The group that was sitting at the bottom, indicated that they witnessed it come down, as the superstar that set it off rode away over the top. When i got there and rode over the edge of the runout, it was still quite soft.

hey senor.... Bin out much this year, yet?? Hows the family? You ridden with scott this year yet?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This did come down on the morning of the 16th, about 2 minutes before we got there. The group that was sitting at the bottom, indicated that they witnessed it come down, as the superstar that set it off rode away over the top. When I got there and rode over the edge of the runout, it was still quite soft.

9 out of 10 pics of slides Ive seen this year are right to the rocks. Pretty much tells the story!

Top Bottom