Reversing a v drive

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly new V-Drive boat and when reversing it will only turn one way. Is this just do to the fact that the rudder isn't large enough to maneuver a 22ft boat in reverse or is something else?

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No inboard boats can be steered in reverse the only way and that is the way that the prop turns you will be wasting your time to try to steer with the rudder, so take the slow turn to the right and get used to having to move in that direction. The rudders are just designed to steer in forward motion.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah every V-drive steers to the right when in reverse it has to do with the pitch of the prop. nautiques are the only ones that steer to the left.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly new V-Drive boat and when reversing it will only turn one way. Is this just do to the fact that the rudder isn't large enough to maneuver a 22ft boat in reverse or is something else?

yup rutter does nothing with water being moved in front of it,

I find if you slip it in and out of drive slowly you can poke the front end which ever direction u like, so it goes like this to turn right, put into drive with wheel turned to the right for 1 sec back to neutral for 2 maybe 3 secs back to drive for 1 sec and back to neutral 2 or 3 secs, the boat will turn 360 degrees on the spot if you want it to

but slow and steady wins,,
to land the boat at a dock, go in at a 45 slowly when 5 feet away slip in reverse for 4 or 5 secs and the slow pull that one way, (usually to the right) pulls the back end parallel to dock, nice and easy with no entertaining stories for on lookers lol

good luck

Top Bottom