Rev running rough after being buried for 2 weeks. Any help?

framtam

Reaction score
Anyone know what issues might arise/what I should look into after having my sled completely buried on a mountain for a couple weeks? It's running pretty rough, the backlit tach light cuts in and out, won't idle very well (if at all), backfires quite a bit, and doesn't really rev over 5,000rpm. Almost like the key has a bad connection, but the track still engages, and its not the key. It didn't really have any of these issues before. I just got it into my non-heated garage with a space heater trying to thaw it out, thought that'd be the first step..

Any info is much appreciated! :beer::beer::beer: :)

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what issues might arise/what I should look into after having my sled completely buried on a mountain for a couple weeks? It's running pretty rough, the backlit tach light cuts in and out, won't idle very well (if at all), backfires quite a bit, and doesn't really rev over 5,000rpm. Almost like the key has a bad connection, but the track still engages, and its not the key. It didn't really have any of these issues before. I just got it into my non-heated garage with a space heater trying to thaw it out, thought that'd be the first step..

Any info is much appreciated! :beer::beer::beer: :)
Thats the same symptoms my friends sled has. He brought it to a Doo dealer and $1600 later they had no clue what was wrong. Myself I think the crank is out of phase.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was running when you brought it up, I would think its something like maxwell said, blocked airbox with snow, frozen carbs, maybe even moisture in your float bowls now. Think little before big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something is wet or like Maxwell said the carbs could be froze up.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sank a sled and it had the same issues, I don't know how youre crank would go out of phase being parked? Once I pulled the airbox, plugs, electrical connections (these were after youre time long hair) and let it sit in a warm shop for several days it ran perfect. The headlight bulbs ect blow as well when wet.
I also had a sled sit on a mountain for about 3 weeks and the only problem I had was the thiefs that stole the beer out of my trunk!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sank a sled and it had the same issues, I don't know how youre crank would go out of phase being parked? Once I pulled the airbox, plugs, electrical connections (these were after youre time long hair) and let it sit in a warm shop for several days it ran perfect. The headlight bulbs ect blow as well when wet.
I also had a sled sit on a mountain for about 3 weeks and the only problem I had was the thiefs that stole the beer out of my trunk!

Ahhhhhhhh................frozen beer. The drink of champions.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you explain exactly, what, could cause a crank to go out of "phase"

compliments to the freak on opening up another can of worms

Last edited:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you explain exactly, what, could cause a crank to go out of "phase"

compliments to the freak on opening up another can of worms

Im not sure why he left the sled up there but if I was a bettin guy there was a reason for it. I was just saying my friends sled had the same symptoms as his and I think its the crank being out of phase. Obviously there is more info than is being given. Having said that how long does it take a crank to go out of phase?

MSmith

Reaction score
Usually to spin your crank out of phase there has to be something detrimental happen inside your engine like detonation, or hydraulic locking of a cylinder while its running (sinking it in water while still under full throttle will do that). I had somewhat of the same issue on my Cat after a big wreck, it was some black crud blocking off the injectors(rubber from the fuel lines I think). Seeing you don't have injectors, clean out your carbs well (clean out all the jets individually) and clean all electrical connections with electrical contact cleaner before you put them together fill the female end with dielectric grease to prevent further issues of wet connections. Just to not screw around a ton, change the plugs out as well. I'd almost put money on it that it will fire right up and run like a dream afterward, but first things first, get that thing in the heat and melt it all out!

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the main connection on the ECM. The REV's were pretty notorious for water getting in there and causing issues. Most people relocated them from on top of the pipe, to on top of the oil tank to fix this issue. So deffinatly try that. Take the ECM in the house and let it dry really good.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure why he left the sled up there but if I was a bettin guy there was a reason for it. I was just saying my friends sled had the same symptoms as his and I think its the crank being out of phase. Obviously there is more info than is being given. Having said that how long does it take a crank to go out of phase?

As many have said, you're sled is likely full of moisture in the electronics, get it thawed and dried out, try the ECM trick as many people have issues with water dripping down on it and gettting wet inside.

As for the crank phase thing - a crank usually goes out of phase instantly. This is commonly the result of hydrolock or debris in the cylinder or by people that like to push rope down the cylinder to prevent the crank from turning while they take the magneto or clutch off. However, I have seen a running motor twist a crank out of phase one time - it was one of CR's 1515's during a hillclimb, rider had it pinned, hit a bump in the wall, launched up the hill and when he landed the track jammed against the hill and the torque of that big motor twisted the crank out of phase. Very unlikely in this case if the sled was running fine when the rider left it a few weeks ago.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a buddys 07 rev 800r,spun the crank out of phase just going up the road to the alpine 2 years ago.Sled was runnin fine one minute then just out of know where it started acting like it ch!t a ring ,pulled plugs did the ol finger on the spark plug hole to see if there was compression,sure enough tonnes of compression but was runnin like a dog. Took it to turbo al and both pistons were going up at the same time...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do they still have that stupid security chip in the tether cord? That's exactly what my '02 Summit used to do when it got wet in there. Just use to give it a twist or dry it out to fix it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i doubt the computer has moisture. i sunk an xp underwater for a whole day and it fired right up.

we had an 860r take the crank out of phase just on the trail. not sure what caused it but tom at motts figured they didnt have it pressed together tight enough from the factory. and yes it ran like a dog. but it ran. and botgh pistons came up at the same time LOL.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i doubt the computer has moisture. i sunk an xp underwater for a whole day and it fired right up.

we had an 860r take the crank out of phase just on the trail. not sure what caused it but tom at motts figured they didnt have it pressed together tight enough from the factory. and yes it ran like a dog. but it ran. and botgh pistons came up at the same time LOL.

This 860r is that a SKIDOO engine............you sure it was not a ARTIC CAT or maybe POLARIS???????????

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YOU HAVE WATER / MOISTURE IN YOUR GAS!!!!!!!! A little gas line antifreeze in there and she will be running top notch again. Good grief a crank out of phase from leaving it in the snow? A bunch of chicken little the sky is falling types on here.

There is a reason I carry gas line antifreeze in my pack. It works wonders.

So to review, gas line antifreeze, maybe new plugs, maybe clean carbs if needed. After that pull cord and ride.......

Last edited:
Top Bottom