Respect your parts person!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I brought donuts to the sales/parts and most important the service huncho just in case one day I need something FIXED.....YEP

geelak900

Reaction score
Cyclejerk,
While I can appreciate some of your comments I have to give you my honest opinion. I have been a customer of "your dealership" for many, many years. I have had more bad experiences than good. Today I try everything I can to buy anywhere but at your shop, unless I'm stuck and have no choice. Sad part is I live very close to your shop and drive by it daily and still go out of my way to find other options. Why? Attitude, respect, and expertise. I pull all my own wrenches, always have, always will. I would consider myself an expert with Polaris sleds yet I'm treated like an idiot there. I usually go to the parts counter (or service counter) with knowledge of what I want, generally with part numbers in hand. I've stood at the counter while one parts person is on the phone and four people stand around the showroom talking, no one seems to want to help. The attitude I find more often than not at the counter is "I'm real busy so don't inconvenience me" I have missed riding weekends because parts that were supposed to be ordered didn't get ordered " oh gee, I'm sorry" is what I got instead. I have been called to pick up parts there and when I arrived, can't find the parts. I've been at the service counter with a question and got absolute wrong advise complete with attitude like "please don't bother me" The latest was a question around my rear suspension sag in my 09 Dragon. Service counter says 5-6" with no rider on. This is wrong, it's 5" with rider on and I want less than that, I know they have a problem with sagged rear suspensions and I wanted to know what they recommended for a fix, not told it's fine and go away. I already know what I want to achieve, I am willing to buy what I need to fix, but could not get anywhere with them and left disappointed, again. I came for for your expertise, I received the opposite.
The list goes on forever, these are examples.
Everytime I have an issue I don't want to have to ask the Manager, that just pisses off the counter guy. What I want is respect, an effort to get me what I need and a positive attitude. When I get that from you then I will give you the same including my loyalty as a customer.
I work in the service business and that is how it's done in my world. I do not demand respect and loyalty from my customers, I earn it.

Ironically, your username is the same as your company nickname from everyone I know.
This is not personal, nor is it directed at you at all. This is about your business. What I do suggest is that rather than tell everyone to treat you better and blame the manager or owner, you should be taking these steps with them yourself and be part of the solution, not point the finger at others. If my Partsmen or Parts Manager had your attitude I would be making some changes.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 Respect is something you earn not something you demand...Whatever happened to the customer being right? If you want respect from the customer then treat them with respect and don't let on you are doing me a favor by getting off your as to help me out when I come in to buy a part from you...I'm doing you the favor by choosing to buy my parts @ your store. I understand that you can't carry everything I'm going to need and have no problem waiting for parts to be ordered...but don't act as though I'm a burden on you for looking for some decent service.

j_w10

Reaction score
Wow, this thread is rather quite funny. as far as the parts person goes the customer is always right no matter how wrong they actually are. that is what ive been told anyway. it was also mentioned on here that its litterally faster to get parts out of sask. I found that out the hard way afew times. The local dealer here i gave many chances to provide me with parts. After many "itll be here in a few days" or "week" and waited for months i finally gave up and went else were. and this isnt like it was the day before i was going riding. this was me going through the machine in like oct. and still not having it beginning of jan. However wether its his fault or not no need to go in and swear at him. Now I phone and give them a chance if they have it in stock and are not over priced i get it there. If i have too order it i phone calgary or sask and have it stuck on the bus. Simple as that. And Cyclejerk it may not be this way at your dealer but most of the dealers that i go to the parts people that i know are good and not mangers have the option of marking down the price of the parts that have the brand name on the box and are over priced. Or the parts that have a mark up of 40% or better because the name skidoo/yamaha/polaris/artic cat are on it. when the mark up is that high it isnt right i dont care what the part is. anyways thats my 2cents.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have great respect my Doo and Pol parts men and that ecko marine
martin and cycle works boys it come down to plan ahead knowing what you
are doing next whether its compete re build or minor repair going in with
good attitude goes a long ways:rant:

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last visit every to cycle works was in sept of 1994 and have not been back there since. Sales guy tried to screw me over big time. I looked at him and politly told him to watch me walk out because that would be the last time ever he would see me in there.
my 2c

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my last visit every to cycle works was in sept of 1994 and have not been back there since. Sales guy tried to screw me over big time. I looked at him and politly told him to watch me walk out because that would be the last time ever he would see me in there.
My 2c

lol.

05blazerboy

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a lot of disrespectful people out there, and i'll admit to being frustrated on more than a few occasions. Problem is, it's still there job to get things in right, and in a timely fashion. If i didn't meet my deadlines at work I'd get canned the same day. Sure, some people are just stupid thinking that a dealer will have every single part in stock, but usually they're good at finding tings for you. I was just at Echo Cycle, and was definitely disappointed with the way the parts counter operated. I needed a primary for my new cat, and the parts guy told me $780 for an uncalibrated three post and that the four post was unavailable and that they don't rebuild primaries anywhere around town. I called Don's speed parts in Wainwright when I got home and they told me $550 for a three or four post, and that they'd rebuild it or do whatever was cheapest. They seem like a great place. I called Echo back and talked to Josh in parts about dalton adjustable weights, and whether they had them in stock to see what the price was. He told me he'd give them to me for $250, and the primary for $500. I suppose I owe Echo cycle an apology for being upset on here about the high price because josh saved me a solid $300, but how many guys pay full price for these parts and get screwed because they don't know any better? Doesn't seem right to me. I guess in the end, everyone needs to shop around, and find a parts guy they can trust when it comes to their needs. In the end, I recommend seeing Josh at Echo cycle, he really knows his parts, and is good with pricing

cyclejerk

Reaction score
Cyclejerk,
While I can appreciate some of your comments I have to give you my honest opinion. I have been a customer of "your dealership" for many, many years. I have had more bad experiences than good. Today I try everything I can to buy anywhere but at your shop, unless I'm stuck and have no choice. Sad part is I live very close to your shop and drive by it daily and still go out of my way to find other options. Why? Attitude, respect, and expertise. I pull all my own wrenches, always have, always will. I would consider myself an expert with Polaris sleds yet I'm treated like an idiot there. I usually go to the parts counter (or service counter) with knowledge of what I want, generally with part numbers in hand. I've stood at the counter while one parts person is on the phone and four people stand around the showroom talking, no one seems to want to help. The attitude I find more often than not at the counter is "I'm real busy so don't inconvenience me" I have missed riding weekends because parts that were supposed to be ordered didn't get ordered " oh gee, I'm sorry" is what I got instead. I have been called to pick up parts there and when I arrived, can't find the parts. I've been at the service counter with a question and got absolute wrong advise complete with attitude like "please don't bother me" The latest was a question around my rear suspension sag in my 09 Dragon. Service counter says 5-6" with no rider on. This is wrong, it's 5" with rider on and I want less than that, I know they have a problem with sagged rear suspensions and I wanted to know what they recommended for a fix, not told it's fine and go away. I already know what I want to achieve, I am willing to buy what I need to fix, but could not get anywhere with them and left disappointed, again. I came for for your expertise, I received the opposite.
The list goes on forever, these are examples.
Everytime I have an issue I don't want to have to ask the Manager, that just pisses off the counter guy. What I want is respect, an effort to get me what I need and a positive attitude. When I get that from you then I will give you the same including my loyalty as a customer.
I work in the service business and that is how it's done in my world. I do not demand respect and loyalty from my customers, I earn it.

Ironically, your username is the same as your company nickname from everyone I know.
This is not personal, nor is it directed at you at all. This is about your business. What I do suggest is that rather than tell everyone to treat you better and blame the manager or owner, you should be taking these steps with them yourself and be part of the solution, not point the finger at others. If my Partsmen or Parts Manager had your attitude I would be making some changes.

CW is deffinately NOT my dealership! I have not worked at that dealership for a year! I was trying to make things better for my customers, I tried to always put customer service before profit! I have many customers that followed me to my current dealership, I have always taken pride in offering the best customer service i can and ALWAYS going the extra mile to help my customer! I am well aware that happy satisfied customers will always come back, and pissed off customers will spread their feelings to others! I am sorry you have had these issues but if you dont tell someone who can make a difference then you are not helping the situation!

AliciaAlways

Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
This thread seems like a lot of back and forth, which is fine we are all allowed our opinions and to express them. I may not work in the parts department, but I do know first hand how hard those ladies and gentlemen work to make customers as happy as possible, so yes please Respect yours Parts person, they deserve it. They do truly work very hard!

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are very true! It is a mutual arrangement, that starts the second you reach the parts counter. I'm directing this thread towards the guys that feel we are the reason that dealership don't have what they want in stock, and then freak out because of that fact! And the customers who think that the dealer should provide them anything they need, no matter how unreasonable the request is! All it takes is a little common sense and courtesy to have a successful relationship with you dealer! And if that doesn't get you what you want then you should deffinately be looking for a different dealership!

Maybe you're just taking some jerk too seriously. If you do your job so well, as you say you do, I'm sure you rarely feel heat from customers unless they are a-holes. If you are getting it more than the guy beside you maybe re-evaluate, cause it sounds like you're pretty short tempered. There are always 2 sides. I have had a few bad experiences with parts guys and a lot of positive ones. I don't let one bad parts guy ruin my life, maybe it's his turn to have a bad day, but........ don't let one one bad customer ruin your day either. Glad I was here to hear you vent:beer::beer:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I liked Bob

hee hee.. I ♥ BOB too....:p

I've run into good parts people, like it's been said, the dealership makes all the difference. We don't have a dealership in the town of Creston, but we have 2 within an hour or so of us.

It's amazing the difference in dealerships. At one, you feel your business is appreciated, parts are usually in stock, and they give you a customer appreciation discount. The other dealership usually parts are not in stock and have to be ordered in, and you not only do not get a discount, but end up paying more for the part then at other Canadian dealerships.

I think it comes down to the economy, rather than people being chits. One dealership is larger and more prosperous than the other, creating more flexibility in pricing, and variety in stocked parts.

Bottom line, I want a parts person who knows me, and can read my mind, when I ask for the little flingy thing attached to the thing that goes around and around.... :eek::eek: and I do... Super thankful for that.

Dusty knows what I'm talking about... he rocks at mind reading.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the way Mountain Toys in Cochrane still are. I have never purchased a machine from them but they get my stuff for service ,REPAIRS ( my damage) and parts. They are just great people to deal with.

I could not agree with you more,bought a sled there for my kid and was very impressed with them.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Im a tech/parts person/warranty/part time salesman in my shop.(in that order)
The parts depo is the bread and butter of the shop. many peeps come in, askin for parts, 96%of the time i have them instock.
I'd say most of the revenue that comes thru the door, is 30% service, 50% parts, 29% sales of new machines.
I try to stick with the oem parts but if i can get aftermarket cheaper i'll usually go that way. Some customers like it when u give them options on parts.
We try not to gouge u, but sumtimes its the price that gets me as well. I look up parts expecting it to be only a couple a bux, for sumthin simple, and wow, my head explodes, If its a super expensive part(msrp wise), and is needed badly, i usually will drop half way to my price(net)
Keepin iur customers happy will benefit u in the long run.

Example: Customer came in looking for a hot start cable and plunger for his 07 rmz450, The other suzuki dealer here, qouted close to 70 dollars, Customer left deposit and ordered 3 weeks ago and the parts havent shown up, he came to me 3 wks later, i qouted him 59 dollars and sed if u place an order monday it waill show up from Suzuki the following friday. Buddy blurted out WTF? how come im still waitin on parts from them, i sez, shoulda came to me. I've gained customers from other suzuki dealerships, just because i can and will give them a better price for parts and service.

It also helps having a knowledgeable parts guy/gal. I started out as a tech and morphed into a tech/parts/warranty/salesman.
Its easier (for me) to do parts, i know what the part is for, what it does, and the best way to tackle the job. But i cant stop wrenchin.

I know its not rite to steal other customers, but when they come to u after bad experiences from other dealers, its fine with me.

Top Bottom