replacing a pull cord

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Alright...so I needed to change my pull cord. I've taken it apart, replaced the cord and I'm following the instructions in my shop manual. However, I can't seem to wind the spring in this thing to save my life. Is there a trick to it? Any hints would be appreciated.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try this.

With the recoil assembly removed from the sled, look at where you can see the rope coming off the sheave and where it goes into the hole that it exits the recoil assy through. Grab the rope with your fingers or needle nose pliers between these two points and pull the rope out of the recoil far enough that you will be able to use the rope itself as a winding mechanism for the sheave. You should now be holding onto a loop of rope.

You should see a small notch in the side of the sheave that the rope will fit into when you are winding up the sheaves spring tension. Pull the rope out off the sheave, (making the loop larger as you go) until the notch lines up with the rope. Slip the rope into the notch and use the rope to wind the sheave up against the spring tension. You will notice the sheave getting tougher to wind up if you are going the right direction.

Once you get it wound up tight enough or what you think is tight enough, hold the sheave tightly so it will not move then let go of the rope you had in your hand. (You may have to wind more or perhaps less revolutions on the sheave to get just the right tension required for your recoil).

Pull the loop of rope you had in your hand for winding, back out of the recoil assy where it normally exits the recoil. Slowly allow the recoil to wind the rope back into itself and you can then reinstall it on your sled. Like I said you may have to do this a few times to get the tension correct and the length of rope correct for your sled.

I hope my directions help. Kinda hard to really explain how to do it but once you figure it out its so simple you will laugh.

Let me know how it goes.:d:beer:

Last edited:

willhickey

Reaction score
Thanks guys I have one that I need to do that to this weekend and I wanted to tackle it myself

Top Bottom