Replacing a few parts on KK and got Q's

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since the speedo on the King Cat I bought a few months ago wasn't working I decided to tear into it. Upon taking off the parts, I tested the speedo with a drill and it works, hooked up to JUST the cable, when I screw it back onto the housing and the grease fitting plate thingy (not sure what it's called) the speedo doesn't work hooked up to the drill. Does this unit just get replaced together? I couldn't see were it comes apart. Also since the speedo isn't working I was told it means a bearing is about to fail, so I removed the one behind the speedo part and going to replace it, and thinking I should do the one above it on the other shaft?(I have that all apart to) But i'm wondering if I have problems on more of the driveshaft and need to tear into that?

Any help would be great, i've only got a shop manaul so it just tells me how to take stuff apart, not what to do when stuff isn't working :(

Also is Echo Cycle the best parts for parts? I need a belt and these bearings etc and know they ain't going to be cheap!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow you must really want that speedo to work eh? I have a complete speedo and cable I will sell you cheap if all else fails.As for parts check around,Mountain Magic or Specialty.Anything else I can help you with let me know.
catmando!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Echo won't be the best price, but they do seem to have a better selection than Argyll. Sounds to me like the cable may be broke. I would pull the cable and check that it is still one piece and both ends are attached before tearing into the bearings. I've never had mine apart, but you should be able to pull the speedo drive off the end of the bearing without pulling the bearing completely and check it too. Laslty I would start on bearings as they are a much bigger job.

How many miles on the sled, and have you greased the bearings since new?

My speedo is still in the box too, I just keep a log of miles each trip in my manual.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really do not care if the speedo works, but I was told that if it's not working/stops workings and is hooked up there is a chance the bearing on the driveshaft is done. I already have everything tore apart and 2/3 bearing on the shafts off so i'm just going to get new ones even though they do not look that bad. The odometer shows 1150 miles but I just bought the sled so I have no clue how much it was greased and I figure $100 or so replacing bearings is cheap insurance, I plan to keep the sled for a long time anyways. The cable from the speedo to the gear is working fine, that is what I tested, but were the cable screws onto the driveshaft does not work and is what I need, or I was told there is a plate to seal that off to?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is part number 11 still in good shape? I have had one strip and one break in my life of owning Cats.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem on my dad's previous ride, an '01 MC. thought it would be just the end(it was) but heard the rumor about the bearing. Checked it to be on the safe side and sure enough. Worth looking into, couldn't believe my dad drove it home with the bearing in that shape, won't hurt to do if ya are that far along in the tear down.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just went to Commerial bearing and got all new bearings, even the two on the chaincase side they weren't to bad but for $15 a bearing well worth it, funny how the dealer wanted like $50 :rolleyes: 11 is fine, I took it to Echo and the guy figured 12 is bad and that something is probably binding inside, $75 for a new one, just going to hook it all back up, ain't worth that much to have the speeding working again. But i'm glad I took it apart and did the bearings, $60 is cheap insurance.

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Be sure to replace/check bearings regularly. Had mine seize up in Allan Creek and ripped the bolts right out of the tunnel. Very expensive fix after with new drive shaft, tunnel and extras.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when the cable is connected to the machine, start it, lift up the back and give it gas. does the cable turn at the head? if not, its either the cable is broke or its where the cable connects to the machine. if it does turn but the speedo dosnt work when connected to the head then there is a plastic "pin" inside the head unit that is replaceable. it may have broke. we just fixed the same thing on my buddies. now hit is a doo but i believe yours is the same

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once i'm done i'm going to run it on a stand and check to see if it's turning at the driveshaft, I am positive that 12 is the culprit though. Don't worry after doing the job of replacing this dahm things, I will be ontop of these bearings. I'm really not to worried about fixing the speedo anymore, as long as the sled runs good i'm happy.

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you have ANY idea how hard it is to find part numbe 11 when drinkin???? jeeeesus

forget speedos, there is an adapter you can buy somewhere that replaces the cover on that bearing with a grease zerk on it....drop the speedo, loose the weight and i have a cover for ya that you can vent to drop some weight and get some more air flow through that beast

Big twin

Reaction score
When you replace them bearings don't forget to remove the bearing seal on the grease (speedo) side and the one on the oil side (chaincase) so they get lube;)

The key Posnick is refering to is steel and they do shear when that bearing fails. Have seen that alot! When you have the speedo unit off, remove the drive and plug the hole with a rivet/washer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom