Reaction score
Can anybody give a report on the Mcbride Area conditions Mainly Renshaw
snow depth, fresh snow, and Avy danger
We are looking to go there this weekend Jan 16 & 17
birdie:)

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Conditions are excellent! Pics posted from last weekend show 3-4ft plus of new. But conditions are warming so that may settle things out a bit, plus enviroment canada says possible new snow. Avy board had things rated Considerable at all levels up till last Thursday with the next report on the 15th. Grooming is being done regularly so trails should be good. Actually going there this weekend also, so if you see an old White 98 wedge noisemaker with a pretty tunnel on it come over and say hi! Higgins.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
j.c., it's actually very nice to see avalanche conditions are slowly improving (somewhat). When we went to Renshaw on Saturday, everything was rated HIGH - above, at, and below treeline. We stuck to very safe, but very deep meadows and treed areas.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been printing off the avvy reports since they started this season and we have them sitting on the front counter for people to check-out when they come in.. Renshaw is in the north rockies district and it hasn't been rated above considerable yet this season, but they say in the reports that they havn't got alot of feedback to go by on there reports.. This warm weather could bring the hazard up a little but there is a tonne of fun to be had in the meadows, as last weekend they were hard enough to get around in.. The small hills were hard to get up as there was so much fresh snow..

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys don't let the avy reports fool you. Everything out there right now should be considered extreme. We experienced sloughing on slopes we have never seen activity on before, and seen slides coming down in quite a number of places while there over the holidays. If you trigger one it's going to be big.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Consider the risk to be high even if the av. report tells you other wise. Have seen some snowballs in places not seen before this early in season and small slides on hills that do not slide. Use you head when riding untill the pack settles down or slides. Still is alot of places that are safe to ride in but the extreme stuff is not advisable to ride. Warm weather all this week and rain in the forcast for today and tomorrow. Doing upkeep on all 3 cabins this week so no time to ride into the back. Be smart, ride safe and thanks.

diggers

Reaction score
..... Renshaw is in the north rockies district and it hasn't been rated above considerable yet this season, but they say in the reports that they havn't got alot of feedback to go by on there reports.....

why is that the info on this region of avy conditons not as often or detailed as cariboo region?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
..... Renshaw is in the north rockies district and it hasn't been rated above considerable yet this season, but they say in the reports that they havn't got alot of feedback to go by on there reports.....

why is that the info on this region of avy conditons not as often or detailed as cariboo region?

I think that they dont get near asmuch feedback for this area as they do for most other area's.. I dont know why it only gets updated once a week..

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Glen, it was nice meeting you last week-end when we made sure to stop in. We were the guys trying to fix a broken throttle cable and some guys bought some gear. So how is the snow up in renshaw thinking of going up this coming week-end...Thanks

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not to bad.. It's settled out alot, there is still some soft stuff to be found.. It's been beautifully sunny.

Flygirl21

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mcbridebc.org
Hi Glengine, we have posted the avalanche at high quite a few times already this season, and with the fatality at Clemina, I told every sledder on the Renshaw today to be aware of the dangers on the slopes. Also we go by the north columbia report for avalanche not the north rockies. Les started using that area as reference years ago.
Just thought I would share that tid bit,
anyways, I am hoping everyone rides safe, think smart, if you don't know the area, get a guide or stay the f#^* out of it in these conditions.
Pretty sure tommorow is going to be as beautiful as today and the groomer is on the hill right now!

See you on the hills!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually have both avvy reports on the front counter and also tell peoiple that the one for the north rockies says right on it that they dont have much for feild reports to go by so use your common sense and also compare both as they are very close area's.. And we also pass on alot of info from locals as well.. yo uamke some really good points.. The guy that passed away in valemount was a buddy and i'd donr lots of work on his sled and his buddies sleds.. Sad guy to lose as he was a really good guy..

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the parking lots yesterday telling everyone that the risk on the steep slopes is actually extreme and to be careful. if you think you are not getting enough info from the av. site look for posts from this area from the guys that ride the hills 4-5 times a week. If I tell you the risk on the big slopes is extreme it is even if you read it as only high. We have not had an av. catch anyone, and I want to keep it that way. There has been alot of av. activity on some of the steep stuff so it is getting better with everyone that slides. Yesterday some more came down and if everyone will stay of the bad slopes for a bit longer we might make it and not have to read about another sledder going down.
Thanks for your time.

Flygirl21

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mcbridebc.org
Thanks to both you glengine and bbtoys, I don't want any fatalities on the hills either, I am hoping with all of us handing out suggestive warnings that everyone will ride safe.

Flygirl21

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mcbridebc.org
Also, sorry to hear you lost a buddy glengine, with tumbler ridge that makes 16 this season, I send out my deepest sympathy's to all friends and family, we have had 16 to many lost this season and I sincerely hope we don't lose anymore. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ride safe!

Top Bottom